Dying Light (I hope you liked Dead Island)

I have a new weapon, 1230 damage, 111 handling. It kills the big juggernauts that throws rocks in 2 hits…

Seems balanced. :)

This may be objectively true, but it isn’t evident until you’ve played for awhile or read about it. In the early game, as far as I can tell, they’re just impossible doors. I’m level 5, have completed a few quests, have unlocked half a dozen safe houses, am fairly comfortable with several aspects of the game and yet I still have yet to come across anything to indicate that I’ll ever get past those doors. I only know that it’ll be possible later from the internet.

Another complaint: climbing mechanics. I love the parkour in this game and have no issues with it, but I wish they’d avoided climbing puzzles for certain quests, or possibly play-tested them more, because I feel there may be quirks inherent in jumping and grabbing onto edges and surfaces that can result in too many failures. An easy (I think) fix could have been, show a key/button hint when a jump/grab is actually possible with a ledge or other climbable surface, which is already the case when you’re close enough to ladders. Fortunately, gauze and medkits eventually become easy to obtain, and you still earn agility experience even when you fall to your death.

Last complaint: In the Steam version, it seems that hitting the Shift key often invokes the Steam Overlay, which is only supposed to appear when I hit Shift+Tab according to my Steam settings. Easy enough to turn off, though.

These are still minor gripes, for me. I’m still largely very happy with the game.

There’s a quite early sidequest that requires you to get into two different buildings where the obvious entrance is a red door that gets tried and abandoned but the actual way in is different (and then you can open those doors from the other side). That seems like a pretty big hint to me, but I guess it’s not explicit.

Finished.

27 hours and a half, 84% done.

Get back out there and get that last 16%!!! Don’t you know there are starving kids all over who don’t ever get to kill zombies!

You’re right, that sounds like it would be a pretty big hint, but I don’t think it’s explicit in that I don’t think I’ve actually encountered any early quests/sidequests involving impossible doors (i.e. doors that tease you with “Open me” invitations and then deny you). Or at least if I have, I quickly forgot about them after coming across a huge number of similar doors at various random buildings that were not associated with any particular quests.

Possible story arc spoiler below!

On another note, I want to voice my appreciation for the fact that the writers were not afraid to tackle a potentially difficult central story choice, in which the protagonist starts out as an agent working for an organization whose interests do not really coincide with those of the appealing central NPCs, and whose goals and core values, after a few missions, begin to seriously conflict with not only those NPCs but also, now, with the protagonist’s. And yet, he still has to comply. That’s a big risk to take from a writing/design standpoint and I want to complement the writers for allowing the protagonist to do things that he really, really doesn’t enjoy doing. I’m referring to (again, spoilers!) the quest that culminated with clearing the Fishing Village, and apparently continues with a proposed human trafficking arrangement which (I think) is rejected by the protagonist.

Apparently it’s possible to become trapped on a warehouse shelf. This happened to me tonight while trying to finish the On the Hooks Quest. I’d cleared out all the zombies in both sides of the warehouse, and then found myself sitting on a shelf from which I was unable to leave. I ended up having to force-quit the game and restart that part of the quest.

Does co-op support different platforms? My brother and I have widely diverging tastes in games, but I think this is one we could enjoy together.

Why is the clock 3 hours and 20 minutes ahead?

Why is the clock 3 hours and 20 minutes ahead?

Lol, no.

I think climbing mechanics are very broken.

Ascending isn’t much of an issue – usually it’s pretty easy to figure out how to climb up and if you make a mistake you don’t pay for it because a failed ascent isn’t necessarily harmful. But descending has so many issues, especially if you’re super high up. The game doesn’t announce anchors and so, when you’re moving down it’s much more difficult because of the increased risks, and you’ll die a lot and there’s nothing you can do about it.

This is problematic in the extreme with missions such as the Searchlights mission, where after ascending to the top and completing a significant part of the mission, you get marooned at a spot high above the bridge, where you have an incredibly difficult time making your way back down to the ground without dying over and over again.

Yeah, a pair of times I had problems climbing down. But only a pair of times, usually you just jump down in stages or in one go to a garbage container or car or a body of water.

Overall, the game has the most enjoyable parkour mechanics done. Jumping, climbing and running is a joy in the game. I love how when you jump from a roof to another, even if your feet aren’t totally at the same height than the new surface you hope to reach but a bit lower, the character doesn’t fall back to falling and then then using the “climbing up with arms” animation but a “skipping animation” like a stone skipping in a water surface.
I’ve read the game uses a real time system to determine what surface can be grabbed on and climbed, it isn’t predetermined with preplaced hooks,

In the Searchlight mission there was a zip line that conducted you to the area beyond the broken bridge, I used that instead of climbing down.

If i recall i just jumped in the water, and got a trophy for it. You gotta get a running start though! Missing sucks

Climbing down gets infinitely easier with the grapple as it has the just cause mechanics of no fall damage from a downward grapple. There’s a lot of mechanics in the game that are not great but the rest is fun enough to keep me and my coop buddy going. I don’t know how much the spawn rate changes when in SP but man it seems like it would be annoying to pick a police van by yourself.

That’s why you use fireworks or put some zombie guts on top of yourself before trying to lockpick it.

Picked this up the other day based on word of mouth and I’m really enjoying it. I own but never really played Dead Island and now I’m wondering if that’s a game that will be enjoyable to go back and try after playing this one.

I don’t think I could ever go back to the Dead Island series after play this.

It may seem like they’re similar games, what with the zombie theme and the weapon crafting and such, but I feel like the mechanical emphasis and style are very different. The Dead Island games are very combat focused and feel very much like ARPGs. Dying Light feels more survival oriented with parkouring around being the primary gameplay emphasis (at least for a good while) mixed with some light stealth at night. I enjoy both considerably, but I wouldn’t expect to like one just because you liked the other. Also, if you do end up going back to it and possibly can, play Dead Island in coop. Not only is it fun to share the experience with others and much easier to have mechanically distinct characters (because of the class system that’s in Dead Island but not Dying Light), but it’s really helpful to have someone (or someones) to watch your back.