Dying Light (I hope you liked Dead Island)

This is out a few days now… Anyone try it?

Heck I haven’t even got around to starting Far Cry 5 even though I have it already installed.
Glad to see that Techland is still kicking, though. I had almost forgotten about them.
They working on anything other than this, like maybe a sequel?

There were reports a while back that they were working on two new games, one of which was almost certainly Dying Light 2. The other was an “open-world fantasy game with RPG elements”.

I think they have 3 studios/offices, so it’s certainly feasible that they’d have 2 games on the go plus a team doing the Dying Light addons.

Thanks.
I’ve enjoyed pretty much all of Techland’s stuff to some degree. Wait, I just checked their Wikipedia entry, and I see that I haven’t even played most of their games. I had no idea they had developed that many. I started with Crime Cities, and then jumped to Chrome, and then Call Of Juarez, etc. I missed everything in between. Wish they’d do another Call Of Juarez game. Glad to see they’re still supporting Dying Light though. Had a lot of fun with it.

That’s great news. Dying Light was very impressive I thought. The melee zombie niche isn’t one I love, but their world and technology were really cool, even without the first person parkour. I’d love to see an open world fantasy with RPG elements from them. It’s interesting that these guys and CDProjekt are Polish and Kingdom Come is from Czechia. France and Germany can only contribute Piranha Bytes in their current form and the Technomancer guys. The Two Worlds people are also Polish. Come on Western Europe - make an effort :(

Having said that, I wonder what the future holds for the old North American stalwarts of Bioware and Bethesda. Bioware have upgraded their technology but lost their fans. How long can Bethesda keep trucking on with Gamebryo?

This turned into globlal rpg musings. Sorry :)

It’ll probably never happen, but my inner wish machine will always hold out hope that maybe someday Techland will make something like what the Prey sequel was originally supposed to be. Intergalactic bounty hunter.

It’s basically Dying Light with a change of scenery and tech and you’d probably want more than one city. But I can still dream as long as they keep making games heh.

Not too different from CDPR’s Cyberpunk maybe…

Dying Light is still the best game featuring zombies ever made, 3 years later. I don’t even like zombies that much but I can’t wait for a sequel.

When it comes to western europe gamedev, it is interesting. There is also french Dontnod making Vampyr (super excited about it) and Cyanide making Cthulhu…and that’s about it. Where are any spanish AAA RPGs (or even games), or Portuguese? At least Belgium has Larian.

Poland has become positively gamedev superpower though, it is amazing.

State of Decay is on the phone. It’s not very happy with you.

I do adore Dying Light, though. I kind of wish Techland would stop supporting it so well, because they keep making me want to dive back in.

-Tom

Hah, I liked State of Decay, but for my taste it had too much crafting and building stuff and too little dropkicking zombies off roofs and brilliant atmosphere :)

I think you have the two games mixed up. State of Decay is very crafting light. If you can even call it crafting. Build some facilities and then create some items that the facilities allowed, that’s it. In Dying light you actually crafted, even the in game description said you have to craft guns (scavenging for supplies and crafting weapons to help defeat the hordes).

I don’t obviously know how that will play, but I wouldn’t think so.

At its core, Dying Light is a first person action game with great movement and melee combat, but still serviceable shooting. The fact that they can do this in a complex city environment crammed full of zombies and npcs and still maintain a smooth framerate is what makes me think they could tackle something like that.

Here’s the old e3 trailer I’m referring to.

So something more like a modern Deus Ex meets Dying Light kind of thing. I’d love to see their take on that.

Damn you people. Every time this gets put on sale on the Xbone (roughly every three months), I’m tempted. And here it is right now during the spring sale. All the good talk is almost pushing me over the edge…

I knew nothing about Dying Light before seeing it on sale on Fanatical and picking it up out of sheer curiosity. I haven’t read any of this thread for fear of spoilers, but just wanted to say that this is the most immensely immersive game I’ve played in a very long time. A bit like a 1st-person version of State Of Decay. I’ve just finished the introductory (tutorial?) portion, and am convinced I’ll be playing nothing else for quite a while.

Yes. It is the best zombie game ever made. Wait until you get to the second part of it…

It’s very good, highly recommended. I still need to go back and play the expansion but it’s definitely one of my top zombie games ever.

Citation needed.

Dying Light is great, but it takes a pretty limited understanding of zombiedom to proclaim it “best”. There are so many elements of zombie movies that Dying Light doesn’t even bother to attempt. In fact, I’d say Dying Light owes so much to its day/night cycle that it’s nearly as much an expression of vampire lore.

-Tom

It is just my opinion, Tom. Concluded from all the zombie games I have played to date (and there were dozens) and my personal enjoyment of them.
Of course it does not do the same things, say, Dead State or State of Decay are doing; they are completely different games built around different goals. I suspect those would be your favourites, as far as including those zombie movie elements?

But I love Dying Light’s atmosphere, world design, combat design both melee and gunbased, its music, freerunning system which is still the best one ever done in a game…they way it is split into two different parts with the second one being even better than the first (and having some really great sidequests)…

just looking back at a vid I recorded when I played it makes me immediately want to replay it, and I already finished it twice, some 120 hours in total.

That’s a lot better coordinated than I ever was :)

Come the zombie apocalypse I’d like to join your community.