E3 2012: Momentous or Meh?

Wow, that would be pretty amazing.

What did they do to Dead Space? It looks like Gears of War now…uggghh.

I think all the bow and arrow weapons this season might be due to the bad economy. Games are reflecting society’s survival instincts.

The neck stabbing may be from the unseasonably warm winter. That’s the only explanation.

At Sony’s presser I fully expect Snake to stab someone in the neck with an arrow.

Or Hunger Games being super popular

That’s silly. If that were the case, we’d have strong female protagonists.

Surely the Last of Us has a bow, why count bullets when you can make arrows, if not Naughty Dog back to work.

It’s a funny coincide, but also very fitting with the survival aspect of all the games, or in the case of Assassin Creed the setting.

Why do you hate Hawkeye??!!???

-Tom

When I was a kid, I had the issues of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe that had Hawkeye in it. And there was a big list of all of his trick arrows. I wonder if I could draw it from memory - I was obsessed with Hawkeye for a while.

Found it. Thanks, Internet!

Whoa, that’s pretty cool. He would totally kick ass if he was picked for the Hunger Games.

-Tom

When it comes to games, today has been terrible. MS and EA’s conferences were so conservative that they don’t deserve a mention, Ubi wins for having the most hallucinogenic FPS, more Rayman and AC, and Watch Dogs. And I can’t even remember what Sony showed, and I just watched the stupid conference.

E3 this year is making glad I got into Warmachine.

According to Ryan Davis’ twitter, there will be a Giantbomb stream sometime tonight. Exactly when is unknowable, currently. Maybe an hour, maybe two. Jeff Green and Michael Pachter are scheduled. It will be worth the wait if it’s even half as awesome as last year’s John Blow challenging the Xbox PR Lords.

A certain content aggregator recently posted a story claiming that Twisted Metal is coming to Vita. I’m a sucker for posting this, but I need to believe Sony is in the process of atoning for what they did to Twisted Metal earlier this year. If true, they’re idiots for not bringing this up during tonight’s conference. And we know Sony are idiots.

Their consoles are in their twilight years. It’s actually pretty good considering. No excuse for the poor Vita showing tho.
If Nintendo sucks (and I think they will) then you know it’s all over … until next year, when the gamepocalypse begins anew.

Haha. As long as Nintendo manages to show more than another Zelda, another Mario, another Metroid, and more casual junk, I’ll consider it a success. A new F-Zero would make them automatic winners of E3 2012.

New Painkiller. Sounds like more than just another budget sequel. It’s built on Unreal 3 by Farm 51, founded by erstwhile People Can Fly developers. Nordic Games is the publisher, and, from their website, they’ve only ever handled casual singing games that I’v never seen before. Still, Painkiller 1 developers on board. Yay!

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/132738/painkiller-hell-damnation-announced

Nintendo needs new stuff. I know people say that a lot and I know they never do, but this time … it really is true. They’ve left so many of their legacy games to wither, creatively and sales-wise and the new stuff they have introduced with Wii is not going to transition well to this new machine. (Wii ____ is going to go down worse than Nintendogs did on 3DS, I think). Mario and Pokemon are the only ones that don’t seem to be on a steady decline sales-wise in terms of their more game-y games.
I also think the pad, as a concept, is a total abortion. I allow it could improve (some) games, but it’s just a confusing marketing disaster that can only make the system be compared unfavourably to similar devices (which is everything now, apparently).
I’m not counting them out, but they need to reveal something really impressive. Maybe some big secret about the controller, because I have no idea how they thought that one was a good idea in the current climate.

I see there’s going to be a new Need for Speed: Most Wanted, by Criterion this time. I hope they keep what made the 2005 game so great: the open world, the hiding spots, the speedbreakers etc. If they do all that I can live without the cheesy cutscenes with Razor Callahan.

I haven’t been in years and years. My son, though, has a press pass this year, so I’ll get all the news through him.

That’s not really true though. The newly released fire emblem 3DS game is breaking sales records in Japan (for the series) and is seen as one of the best entries in their SRPG.

Smash bros brawl (11 million) outsold Melee (7.5), Zelda (TP) sold more on Wii (5.82) then on GC (1.32) (also more than Windwaker at 4.5m). Skyward Sword (3.5m) is beyond windwaker, but it hasn’t been released that long ago, and didn’t got a boost by being released in the “player choice” series yet.

Mario Kart had it’s best entry on Wii by a long shot (+32 million sold).

Also games like Donkey Kong Country returns sold more than 5 million units. Metroid prime 3 outsold metroid prime 2 (not 1). I don’t know the evolution for Kirby, but both Wii games sold more than 1.5 million afaik

Also nintendo Wii __ million sellers:
Wii Sports – 79 million (bundled)
Wii Sports Resort – 30 million
Wii Fit Plus – 20 million
Wii Play: Motion – 1.2 million