Earfquake!

The quake felt like a gentle boat rocking over here in cheviot hills. By far the most fun earthquake I’ve been in, I hope the damage isn’t too bad elsewhere though.

I’m willing to believe your story that patterns are different on holidays.

And of course after the earthquake, those of you coming up from San Diego have to contend with

Big-rig crash closes all northbound lanes of 5 Freeway

Equivalent to a 7.5 at least.

We have a manufacturing plant in Mexicali. Their power was restored a few hours ago (no idea if they’re on the hospital grid). It’s a holiday there today, so no reports of damage to the plant. But we do know that due to the size of the quake, they won’t let anyone in the building until they (whomever “they” are) do a structural analysis.

The IT guy I communicate with said his house is a mess, but structurally sound.

No injuries that we know of.

If shopping “after an earthquake” made a difference, as you contend, there would have been more than 4 people in the entire store. There weren’t. It didn’t.

Kind of a cool video of what I guess are spring breakers post-quake on a road south of Mexicali watching dust raise from the nearby mountains.

— Alan

I didn’t even feel anything but most other people at our family get together did. I feel cheated…

I was in Austin this weekend. Haven’t even been home yet to see what fell over.

I wonder how many native Californians would freak out the first time they heard a tornado siren or experienced a bad storm. (People who grew up in the midwest and moved to CA don’t count.)

True enough, all depends on how much you’re a fish out of water. I’m not sure what I’d do in an earthquake.

My former boss awhile back was a recently transplanted Canadian who had no idea what to do when the Ft. Worth-Arlington tornado outbreak rolled through ten years ago (last week I think was the anniversary) and he might have been in the path. When the sirens went off, he knew it was for a tornado, but had no idea what to do. (“Do I get in my car? Do I hide under my bed? Do I just sit around and wait to die?”)

— Alan

Your grip on the scientific method is tenuous at best.

My only experience was in 2001, up in the Seattle area. It was pretty fun, actually, and we got out of class for the rest of the day.

I am, however, paranoid-prepared for one here in SF.

Considering I spent 15 years as a research biochemist, I very much doubt it. You stated that shopping after an earthquake deserved the Benny Hill theme. I countered with an observed fact, that there were 4 people in the entire grocery store when I went shopping after an earthquake. Your response? Snark. Yeah, that’s scientific.

There were stories in the newspaper about kids freaking out at school here in San Diego this winter when we had like a solid week of downpour rain with occasional thunderstorms. So… yeah, it really is all about what is familiar to you from past experience.

So you’re saying 2012 is a documentary from the future?

Nope :-). The San Andreas is a strike-slip fault, meaning that the continental plates involved move laterally. If it was a normal fault (also known as a dip-slip fault), then the parts of California west of the plate boundary would actually be in danger of falling into the Pacific. Superman and 2012 notwithstanding, LA won’t be underwater anytime in the foreseeable future. It’s heading for Alaska, not the ocean floor.

Your fact “4 people in the store” neither directly refutes nor supports my claim that “shopping after an earthquake deserved the Benny Hill theme,” but you assumed that it did in your subsequent statements. Thus your science fails.

This statement is beyond silly. Science is about the creation of testable hypotheses then gathering data to prove or disprove them. The hypothesis in this case is that grocery shopping after an earthquake is going to be an overcrowded mess. I have a data point that says otherwise. You have nothing but snark and a profound misunderstanding of science.

Yes, I’m aware of that, that’s why you also failed your science when you took my “statement of opinion” and then “disproved” it. Surprise! Opinions aren’t science!

Oh? Is it? Is it really?

No, but when you treat them as a testable hypothesis, the process of data collection and analysis that supports or refutes said opinion is science. You’re too upset that your opinion has been countered to see this, but, given the general tenor of your posts on these forums, that’s no surprise.