EB fucked me over today

How do you “get to know your state attorney general” ? Take him out to lunch ?

As for that particular incident - wow - that has to be a new low for customer service.

Morale of the story - never leave the store without checking the contents of the box. I do this religiously even if I look like a complete goober when I do it.

Are you serious?

P.S. If you seriously thought that you had to talk to the state attorney general himself, or were unclear that one of the major roles of the AG’s office in most if not all states is to police consumer issues, I apologize. I assumed instead that you were being an asshole and trying to make a smart-ass point in an area where you clearly have little understanding.

I think he was just making a joke.

As for EB, I only get games from there if they come from the glass cabinet behind the counter. Any sort of ‘let me check the back’ statments are met with a quick nevermind and exit by me. Otherwise, its usually safer to go with a bigger place like Futureshop (which I guess is in Canada only)

A touch off topic, but what the fuck is the deal with GoGamer? I’ve heard them mentioned before, but haven’t every checked the site. Is there a reason that all their games are significantly cheaper than everybody else’s prices? It seems like it would be stupid to buy games anywhere else (assuming you live in the states, I guess)

No. :wink:

They are probably trying to use it as a hook for repeat business.

Yeah, I realized that I was being a little harsh, which is why I . . . ahem . . . heavily edited my first response. At least I tried to do it on my own accord (I did it before I read your post). I’m not all evil.

Wha? Editing your post and making everyone afterwards looks stupid isnt all evil?

You are a sly one.

Unless you suffer from immediate gratification syndrome, there is absolutely no reason NOT to but from GoGamer. Other than a few exceptions, their prices are always lower than most competitors. Plus they have excellent response time.

The lot of you are completely overreacting. The clerk made a mistake, didn’t want to own up in front of his boss, and that’s where it pretty much went downhill.

At this point, EB is done. I think we can all understand why they have the open-box policy, but the answer is to dispute the charge. EB’s processor will likely refund the money and then ding EB for their mistake.

I work for a credit card processor, so I can vouch for the mechanics behind a chargeback. It will work in your favor.

EB sympathizer! Get the torches and pitchforks!

also, if you live in socal the cheap priority mail shipping usually gets items to you the next day.

They can be somewhat elusive about whether a game is grey market or not. Sometimes I don’t want a version from another region (Starforce on the EU version of Silent Storm), but sometimes I do (unedited cursing in the EU version of Vietcong).

GoGamer often gives you games just in jewel cases, either without manuals or with electronic ones. This is especially true for their “48 Hour Madness” specials. Also, after shipping and handling, I usually find that the savings are not that substantial.

Well, the grey-market / mispackaged stuff was what I was wondering about, I just didn’t express myself too clearly. Do they have a return policy that’s longer than “no”?

I have a good story about EB, believe it or not.

In York Region, you can’t trade games at EB due to a bylaw that makes you hand over all your info to EB when you trade a game in, who hands it off to the police. If at any time, the game you traded in is reported stolen, the police can search your place, and I blieve they can do it without a warrent. It also means anyone under 18 can’t trade games in.

With this went into effect, I started travelling an extra 20 minutes or so the nearest EB outside York Region. As it happened, one of the employees I know from the York Region store worked there.

So one day I trade in something like 12 games, and the employee mentions that I would get even more trade-in value if if went to a certain EB in York Region and grabbed a trade-in coupon worth an extra $5 per game - most EBs in North York just hand out $3 coupons. It was another 10 minutes away, but I nearly doubled the amount of trade-in value.

He even called the store and told them to be ready for me since I was in a bit of a hurry.

Long story to tell something small, but it was really quite nice.

They can be somewhat elusive about whether a game is grey market or not. Sometimes I don’t want a version from another region (Starforce on the EU version of Silent Storm), but sometimes I do (unedited cursing in the EU version of Vietcong).[/quote]

meh, I dont mind downloading whatever other region version to get a cracked version, I dont play many uncrackable games. silent storm early + dvd case was totally worth it.

Yes, but have you ever shopped at Game Shack?

I’ve never gotten any 48 Hour Madness titles from GoGamer, but I have bought a few dozen other games from them and every one has come in a normal box or DVD case. Most of them were recent releases though. On top of that they’ve given me several crappy games, a mousepad, a vinyl CD carrier and articles of clothing for free. They’re too amusing to give up. :)

I recently bought Vampires (retail box) for $33, Pacific Fighters (retail box) for $28, and Battle Out of Hell (again, retail box) for $18. I paid $6 for 2-day shipping. So that was a grand total of $85. Had I gone to the local EBs or Gamestop I would paid $50 for Vampires, $40 for Pacific Fighters, and $20 for BOoH, and after sales tax that would’ve come close to $118. So I saved $33, almost the price of another game, and I got everything in the same packaging as I would’ve at the retail store. In fact, I didn’t have to drive to the mall, fight the crowds, stand in line, and then wait for the sales clerk to re-assemble the emptied boxes before ringing my sale up.

Sorry, there’s no comparison. Granted, I had to wait for those games to go on sale and then wait several days for them to arrive at my front door after placing the order, but for me the money saved is well worth it.

I was lucky then.

Was at the mall first thing int he morning for some reason, had a trade-in jones. So I’m looking for a used copy of Fatal Frame II, the clerk and I discuss why it’s hard to find used and it trade ins on this title always gets picked up away. Screw it. I buy a new copy. Get home, rip open the case and the disc is missing. Gone. Rush back to the store so hopefully the guy will still remember me. I told him my sob story, asked if it happens a lot (he said usually only with brand new titles) and finally he just said ‘OK’ and gives me the last copy in the store.

I was prepared to scale up the corporate ladder with passive agressiveness at every step on the way but was pleasantly suprised by the customer service.

EDIT: I won’t use EB.com ever again though after I got the “Your PS2 is shipping today” talk three times in one week. On the bright side, online cancellation of the order was painless and easy.