EB fucked me over today

I don’t really have a “good EB story”. I’ve just never had a problem with them. They’ve never pushed strategy guides at me, they’ve never tried to screw me, and I don’t preorder so I dodged that whole bag of whininess. Maybe it’s different in the US, but I love EB. I go in there whenever I’m in a mall, even if I’m not looking for anything, just to enjoy being surrounded by games. And every once in a while there’s something rare that I can buy on impulse.

No. I’m not at Ryerson this year, and I live in Richmond Hill. The last time I went down town was for the Toronto QT3 meet.

So which EB was this already? I need to know which one to not shop at!

Bull fucking shit. A phone call to the credit card company and maybe a letter later on describing the precise sitch and he’s got his money back.

I’d still like to know where this happened. I’m waiting for something like this to happen locally, because I smell a potential segment.

Well, if you’re the kind of person who buys games by the armload all at once and you can combine the S&H, then yeah it adds up. But for those of us that just buy one at a time, it usually just works out to be $5 cheaper. Five bucks is five bucks, I know, and by all accounts it seems to be a great place to buy games, but it’s not the amazing clearing house of deals that some people make it out to be.

Any of them.

No guarantees, there. Citibank screwed me over for $50 on an unjustified charge to my card, siding with the vendor. American Express has never done me wrong, though.

No guarantees, there. Citibank screwed me over for $50 on an unjustified charge to my card, siding with the vendor. American Express has never done me wrong, though.[/quote]

I’ll step in and say that Citibank has always been fire and forget on the half dozen or so chargebacks I’ve run through them.

Mostly situations for flowers for my wife, at her office, on her birthday and such . . . Where the flowers were delivered late, in bad shape, or not at all.

-Walt

I hope you cancelled you account. Credit card companies hate to lose reliable customers, especially over sometime as trivial as a $50 disputed charge. This is why they almost always side with the customer.

• Alan

I hope you cancelled you account. Credit card companies hate to lose reliable customers, especially over sometime as trivial as a $50 disputed charge. This is why they almost always side with the customer.

• Alan[/quote]

Exaaactly.

And if the DM wasn’t giving a shit before, he will when he takes a $75 over/short to one of his store’s bottom lines, along with the fact that the same store lost the CD version of the game from their inventory. Those are the kind of things that the guys in the suits start to notice after a while.

GoGamer often gives you games just in jewel cases, either without manuals or with electronic ones. This is especially true for their “48 Hour Madness” specials.

I’ve NEVER had this happen, and except for a very few occasions they are the only company I buy from now. Even if you have received games like this it should come as no surprise, since right next to the price they list the packaging type. (DVD Hardcase, Standard Retail Box, Jewel Case Only)

Personally, I prefer when GoGamer sends me the European version of the game since it comes in DVD packaging.

Just a few examples of the European versions I’ve recieved.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm Gold edition
Chaos League
Arx Fatalis
Spellforce
Heroes of WWII
Sacred
Gothic II
Perimeter
Call of Duty

Shoot. I once had gogamer ship me games I hadn’t even ordered! I’d ordered 2 games, only to get 6. It was great.

I let them know what had happened, and they emailed me a pre-paid FedEx label so that I could return them.

Well, if you’re the kind of person who buys games by the armload all at once and you can combine the S&H, then yeah it adds up. But for those of us that just buy one at a time, it usually just works out to be $5 cheaper. Five bucks is five bucks, I know, and by all accounts it seems to be a great place to buy games, but it’s not the amazing clearing house of deals that some people make it out to be.[/quote]

You need to do the math again. On a new game its still good savings. Bloodlines still costs full retail at a store like EB so its $50 + tax. At GoGamer you would pay $33 + 6 for shipping. Depending on the tax rate that $14-15 for that one game, not $5.

Holy crap, you pay some high taxes. Where I’m at, sales tax is about 7% so a $50 game would only have $3.50 in tax.

$50 + 3.50 = $53.50
$33 + $6 = $39.00

Discount: $14.50

Yup.

Vampire is $40 at GoGamer, not $33. Plus $6 S&H.
http://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGamer.storefront/SESSIONID/Product/View/001VAMMA

And, oddly enough, I can buy it at Fry’s for $35 this week. Titles can often be found on sale for $30 to $40 at BB, Circuit City, Fry’s, or CompUSA a week or two after release. I don’t know why anyone would buy new games at places like EB that always charge full price.

Look, I don’t really mean to knock GoGamer. That would be silly. I’m just saying that it’s not always the best option and trying to explain why I don’t usually use it.

Maybe I’m mistaken when I say that this happens a lot. I used to follow links for their “48 Hour Madness” sales and noticed several times that they were selling the games in jewel cases only. I just did a bit of browsing at the site and it appears most of the games are full retail boxes, so maybe it’s just something that’s limited to their super special sales. At any rate, check the packaging description when buying here or anywhere else online.

Ah ok. I mis-understood. I thought he was saying he was paying 14-15 bucks in taxes. Thanks for clearing that up for me.