Ebook Bargains

Looks like a bunch of nonfiction stuff up for Kindle deal of the day today. Think I’ll pick up a couple David Foster Wallace books myself.

Amazon has a number of Harlan Ellison collections on sale for $2.99 each, but they don’t show up when you just check his name. Apparently it is a hidden sale, by invitation.

Link removed, it didn’t work.

But if not, it says I can “invite friends” and gives me a link, so if you want to send me an email I can add you.

Your link is giving my phone trouble, but I find I can just search Harlan Ellison on the kindle store and find a lot of stuff. Anyway thanks for the heads up, going to fill in the gaps of my Ellison library.

Yeah, the link is useless, just takes you to generic Amazon page. Sounds like Dive found the sale, though.

https://www.tor.com/2018/08/27/download-a-free-ebook-of-the-black-company-by-glen-cook-before-august-31-2018/

The Black Company is definitely one of my favorite fantasy series, ever.

Still bitter about that. I just bought the whole series last month on Amazon.

People keep telling me I should try the Black Company books, guess I’ll give this one a shot.

Yeah, definitely give the free book a read first. I’m having a hell of a time staying interested in it. It’s not a conventional book.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I’ll mention again that I’m not really a fantasy guy, so I’m not sure I’m going to be able to get through it either.

Same for me. But free gives them an in. :)

The funny thing about the Black Company is that large stretches of it have nothing fantasy about them, other than the setting itself. Its military stories from the perspective of the grunts. With the occasional flying carpet overhead–just think of them as F-class airplanes and you are good to go.

The later books do get more fantastic however (in terms of Fantasy, not necessarily creativity/quality - on those counts, YMMV).

Yup. Cook was writing a Vietnam War story, framed inside fantasy.

The Black Company and successors are outstanding.

At least try Black Company. It’s a war-weary contemporary voice in fantasy world.

I’m really liking Black Company. If it holds up all the way through I’ll be buying the sequels.

I’m glad you like it. I’m a big fan of the whole series.

Reminds me of the Thieves’ World books.

The later books do slow down some, but they also get deeper, so they are worth it.