Echo - The MCU Disney+ deaf hero from Hawkeye - TV-MA

Yo, did they just show a dude getting shot in the jaw??

“Set your profile to TV-MA to stream”

I believe the thread title should refer to Hawkeye?

This looks much more like the Netflix shows than any D+ offering, which is fitting since D’Onofrio is from there too.

Hahaha. I boned that up. Corrected!

Lol, no worries. I might actually keep my Hulu sub to watch this (and Fargo.) This has the potential to actually be good, unlike most other Marvel nonsense recently.

I’m in for D’Onofrio no matter what, but going TV-MA certainly has me more curious than I’ve felt about any other Disney+ Marvel show.

Yea, I’m so tired of these Marvel shows…none of them really did much for me but they did a great job with the trailer…hope the show lives up to at least a bit of that trailer.

TV-MA has me more interested, but Echo was the “Disney has a problem” talking point before it was cool (okay maybe not before it was cool, but before it was the now universally accepted state of things) with all the early talk of production issues and reshoots, so I’m still nervous about all that.

Sure, it could be good (but that is doubtful based on Disney lately) but I’m thinking there may be more Nevernudes than people clamoring for an Echo show. It seemed like such a random course to take after Hawkeye (which is my fav of the Marvel TV series) I can barely believe it was completed.

Set aside the recent track record of Disney films and shows–not that it’s not fair to use those to calibrate your expectations, but for the sake of argument about the idea of an Echo show in theory.

Netflix Daredevil does have a lot of fans. The Daredevil fans who have some familiarity with the comics might already know Echo from his corner of the world there, and it was a pretty exciting reveal to have D’Onofrio’s Kingpin make his MCU appearance in Hawkeye as part of Echo’s storyline even if you had no prior knowledge of the Echo character. That alone has the potential to get people excited, and in that regard this brief trailer is actually encouraging, especially for the TV-MA’ness of it all. Again, Echo apparently had a rough production, and DD is basically back to the drawing board 4 episodes in, so I am tempering my expectations based on that, but yeah, I kind of want to see them not shy away from the violence here if there’s any hope of Disney DD recapturing the Netflix DD magic.

It feels like a decent on ramp for the street level, gritty, side of the MCU by introducing Echo and Kingpin in Hawkeye, and then using Echo as a bridge between that and the upcoming Daredevil show in tone if not directly in a narrative sense.

It may still be a disaster in execution, but I don’t think Echo is inherently a bad idea for a show, and I don’t think the character has to have more recognition to sell it.

Been a while since I watched Hawkeye, but Echo just didn’t do much for me. Street level DDish stuff would be great and this still could be great or at least good. But Echo as a character isn’t the draw. Still, I’ll obligingly tune in. I mean, I sat thru Secret Wars which was appallingly bad. And in no way can Echo be any worse.

I haven’t been following the issues on this show’s production, so the only thing that gives me pause is how much of a nothing character Echo was in Hawkeye.

I must say that looks too violent to enjoy much.

FYI the new DD showrunner is the Punisher writer/EP, and the rumor is that they want DD to be much more gritty and Netflix-show-like.

— Alan

Gritty or lighthearted. I don’t care. Just make some sense and have a plot that goes somewhere.

Yes please!! None of this crappy backpedaling and treading water crap!

So won’t suggest watching Gen V to kill time while waiting on Echo, then. :)

Per Marvel.com, Marvel Studios’ Head of Streaming Brad Winderbaum at the screening said, “Marvel Spotlight gives us a platform to bring more grounded, character-driven stories to the screen, and in the case of Echo, focusing on street-level stakes over larger MCU continuity.”

“Just like comics fans didn’t need to read Avengers or Fantastic Four to enjoy a Ghost Rider Spotlight comic,” he added, “our audience doesn’t need to have seen other Marvel series to understand what’s happening in Maya’s story.”

Sounds like they are “cutting it off” and just dumping it with a whole season release on Hulu…

I don’t really buy this “stand alone” argument, since it directly links up to hawkeye and features kingpin who will obviously reappear in daredevil.