Edge is slowly driving me mad. Twitch hitching in HTML5

Used to use Chrome, got tired of not being able to stream anything in 1080P and Google’s BS with taking all your data about everything, so I went to Edge.

Works fine except for one thing: When I watch a stream on Twitch it periodically freezes for like a second and a half. It recovers just fine, but it happens like once every few minutes and never stops doing it. It’s not a bitrate thing, I’ve tried various qualities and it does it regardless of the stream quality.

So it must be something with Edge? Or something with the render from Twitch?

It seems like it’s related to HTML5 since when I turn that off I don’t have the hitching anymore, though I instead just drop frames like a motherfucker.

I had no problems with Twitch on Chrome other than never being able to see 1080 (which is a feature apparently). I’ve looked around and found basically nothing. Twitch’s video stats say I’m not losing any frames… and I’m not, over time I’ll end up whole minutes behind since it pauses and then recovers exactly where I left off.

Plz post link of 1080p stream that you think doesn’t work in Chrome.

If I wanted a browser dick-measuring contest I’d have asked about which browser to use.

Ok, cool, good talk.

I feel kinda bad for you IT dept. “This website doesn’t work. But I’m not going to give you an actual link, you’ll just have to read my fucking mind.”

Gotcha, I’ll never ask a question in this subforum again. No worries.

Plz send teh linkz.

FWIW at work I use Edge almost exclusively and have never noticed any streaming video issues. That being said I’m not streaming every day and never stream Twitch at work, alas. :(

Get Vivaldi which I use almost exclusively at home. I don’t recall streaming issues at 1080p or 4k but that’s mainly YouTube or Amazon Prime, again no Twitch.

Curiously, and I realize this isn’t helping your issue at all, over the weekend, at my buddy’s Blizzcon party, the official Blizzard streaming site and Twitch alike were shitting the bed in Chrome with exactly the sort of not-bandwidth-based stuttering you describe, and switching to Edge is what fixed it for us.

At this point, I’m more likely to just declare that maybe Twitch sucks fucks :)

Actually I have noticed that Twitch has a second or two hiccup myself. And I do mostly use Edge for browsing these days. I’ll have to try it out with other browsers and see if that makes a difference.

Chrome was making my entire system hitch when I was streaming Netflix/Hulu from it, so I moved that over to Edge and no problems since. I have watched 1080p content via Twitch on Chrome though, so I’m not sure where the notion it’s not capable of 1080p might be coming from? I don’t watch a lot of Twitch though, usually developer streams for like Stellaris or something, and the little gear icon is telling me I’m getting 1080p, at least.

I did read that streaming Netflix and I believe Hulu as well through the web browser caps at 720p, so I started using the Netflix and Hulu Windows 10 apps for those programs. I didn’t see an Amazon Prime app so I still use Edge for that one.

As for @ShivaX’s issue with Edge streaming hitches, maybe try the Twitch Windows 10 app out instead?

The App doesn’t have all the features the webpage does. Because Twitch doesn’t seem to understand their users (see: removing the ad-free Twitch Prime idea that no one wanted, especially the streamers).

I’ve just turned off HTML5 and dealt with the frame drops. They’re annoying, but half the time I have it in the background so I don’t notice it much and it doesn’t end up with me 30 seconds behind the stream after half an hour. They’re less frequent than the hitching anyway.

I’d have stuck with Chrome, but it seems Google is more interested in getting all your data than improving their product these days, so to hell with them.

If you watch streams at a lower resolution, does Edge still freeze?

Yep. Resolution doesn’t seem to matter.

Have you updated your drivers without rebooting recently?

I updated all of them and rebooted during the process.

I’ve just relegated myself to non-HTML5 and occasional horrific frame drops once in a while.

For what it’s worth, I’ve been having the same issue on Twitch in Edge. It’s frustrating because I switched to Edge after I noticed Firefox was using 40-45% CPU for a single Twitch stream and it was negatively impacting how responsive my PC felt. Edge uses 20% at most on the same streams and overall system performance feels much better, so I put up with the hitching.

I would recommend clearing the, “Cached Data and Files,” then closing and restarting Edge. If it still happens, you might consider it is something -outside- of Edge and instead monitor Task Manager sorted by CPU while you watch a twitch stream where it happens. You might see there is another process that is causing the issue, while making it appear Edge related.

I’ll give that a go.
I thought I did it, but looking at the procedure for it, apparently I didn’t.

Are you using any third-party Firewall or Anti-Virus software?