Elden Ring: a thread specifically for spoilers

L2 uses the left hand’s skill if it has one. It uses the right hand’s skill if the left hand’s item doesn’t have a skill. The meteorite staff doesn’t have a skill, so I would think Moonveil skill should still work with the staff in the left hand.

Invading in some of the caves - especially the ones later in the game - will make it a bit easier because there are more opportunities for ambush and you can force the enemies to be involved. But in general it’s just massively tilted against invaders to an extent that makes me wonder why they included it if they dislike it so much.

Invasions have been a big part of the DS games since the beginning. I can understand in the early games why some people hated invasions as the bonfires were much farther apart than they are in ER. Retrieving your souls was not always a given, but there are so many Graces in ER that that isn’t much of a problem.

I think ER catered to much to the first time, non-DS players.

Sure you have twinks who are OP early, and ER features so many massive damage weapons that invaders can use. But invading can be fun. I win maybe 10-20% of the time, but it is still fun. Yesterday I used an frost build and was surprised how well it worked. My Blasphemous Blade, which is great in PvE is not so great in PvP. It is to slow.

I think I am at the point where the game is too difficult for me to get much farther (I suck at action games, always have been terrible at them, I tend to panic). Played a vagabond and an astrologer, but settled on a confessor, which I have quite enjoyed. I am level 28 and have explored all the local areas as far as I could (some places I really wasn’t ready for). I just can’t beat Margit. Grinding is getting more difficult (slow) and seems like new levels don’t really make me much tougher.

I have really enjoyed what I have played, and I haven’t given up yet, but I think in the long run, this just isn’t my kind of game. I would love to see a Skyrim type game with this combat (but a bit easier).

There’s a peninsula just for you! Instead of heading toward Margit, head down to the peninsula to the South of Limgrave. It’s the Weeping Peninsula, and it’s got enemies that aren’t as hard, and bosses that aren’t as hard. By the time you’re done with that whole place, you’ll be much better equipped to handle Margit.

A couple things, I think I was higher than 28 when I finally beat Margit. Don’t be afraid to explore, if you haven’t gone south across the bridge give it a go. Mines and caves have goodies in them, so go after those and don’t bother with the bosses for now.

Not to be pessimistic, but you probably will reach a point where you are no longer comfortable playing the game, but not every game is for everyone.

Also, summoning is okay. It is easy mode for the most part. It can also keep you from getting frustrated and quitting.

Thanks guys, I have gone to Weeping Peninsula and explored a lot of the top area and cleared some of the ruins. I haven’t done any caves/dungeons there though. There is a mounted knight that has a shield ashes I read were good for my build, but he thoroughly kicked my butt when I tried. I can’t decide if should be mounted to fight him or on foot.

There is a giant archer boss that it seems I can approach from the side, is he easy if I charge in?

I don’t think it is my kind of game, but I have thoroughly enjoyed playing the different classes and exploring. I already feel like I got my moneys worth out of it.

About 75% of the game is Skyrim with better combat, but the last 25% ramps up. The last bit is very much a DS game.

All giants, most giants, have weak ankles. Explore the perimeters of the peninsula.

Look up how do to the Blaidd quest and how to get the Bloodhounds Fang sword. Look up how to get the jellyfish spirit ash too, if you don’t already have it.

Also go around Stormveil Castle and up to Liurnia, which will let you go to the Roundtable Hold and upgrade stuff a lot more. It makes a big difference to upgrade that jellyfish a bit. The jellyfish can’t really hurt Margit at all, but it distracts him, and you can go whack him in the ass while he’s beating on the jellyfish.

It doesn’t hurt to be level 40, either, which isn’t unreasonable if you really explore Limgrave and the Weepy P.

Oh, and clear every cave! Margit, Schmargit, the caves are the fun part. (If you’re skipping the caves because you don’t like them, then yeah, sadly this game is probably not for you.)

I like the caves, and have beaten the bosses in the few I have done. I am just always worried that the end boss is going to be too tough. I need to learn to listen to @Scotch_Lufkin and quit worrying about dying.

I will definitely spend more time today in WP, thanks again for the tips everyone.

Keep playing! I don’t agree with the idea that Elden Ring ever gets too difficult for somebody.

The thing about this game is that while the initial skill level it requires is high, everything gets easier the more you play it. If you’re having trouble somewhere, just go somewhere else, and come back later with a higher level and better equipment.

I found this useful while starting out: Recommended Level by Location

I should have been more specific; I was talking about the Renalla fight where I exchanged my staff for the Meteoric Ore blade.

The jellyfish can poison him and at that point you can focus on not getting hit while his health (slowly) drains.

The wolf spirit is good with some bosses as well. Remember you can level them up.

The Weapon Art you can use should always be on-display on your screen. I alternate between dual-wielding Moonveil and Uchigatana and Wing of Astel/Regal Carian Scepter, and when I’m in two katana mode, I can always still use Transient Moonlight since Moonveil is in my right hand. If I want to use Hoarfrost Stomp (the Weapon Art attached to Uchigatana), I have to switch to two-handing Uchigatana.

I think shields are the thing that can affect the active Weapon Art, but I didn’t use shields.

As mentioned earlier, I didn’t fight Margit until I was in my mid-30s or so. But in addition to leveling up your character, sometimes it’s leveling up your gear that gives the needed edge. I think I had at least +3, if not +4 on my weapons and spirit ashes before I fought Margit.

If you’re talking about the giant archer in front of Castle Morne, that is simply a really big enemy, not a boss. Meaning fighting it is not actually required – you can just run around it.

if you do try to fight it, stick to its feet. It has a bit of a windup in aiming and firing the arrow, so you should be able to dodge its arrow attempts. It has a harder time trying to hit you when you’re circling around its ankles.

Also, clearing the Murkwater Cave should unlock a shop where you can buy an item that lets you stun Margit twice during the battle.

Ok, checked it out last night and, of course, you are correct. So what this means is that you can’t use an ash of war on the left handed weapon if you’re in dual wield mode.

I’m a bit torn now that I have had a taste of duel wielded Katanas, and trying to figure out if an Uchi or the Meteoric Ore blade is the best left handed blade to accompany my Moonveil. So far, around level 70, I’ve relied on magic/sorcery and the Moonveil was for when I was forced to move in close or save my FP. After powerstancing the Meteoric Ore blade and Moonveil and it made such a dramatic difference in the battle with Renalla, I thought maybe I’d go that route and use magic for when I need range. But right after than I was working up the left side of Liurnia and ran into a battle of soldiers and magic users, had fun powerstancing, then a big bad spirity looking thing was created and I thought I’d just run up and powerstance him, and he killed me. Tried again, killed me again. Now, I was tired and probably could have beaten him with the dual wield setup if I’d been more thoughtful, but third time I felt like Indiana Jones facing the guy twirling his sword, when he said screw it, dropped the whip, and just shot the guy - I said screw it, pulled out my Meteoric Mace, pelted the guy with Rock Sling until he fell down, then finished him off with my Moonveil.

So I suppose I need to decide if I want to spec into a Hybrid or pure Int mage using a Moonveil. Is an Int focused build really capable of taking down the really hard big bosses at the end ?

Coupla things:

Since you’ve defeated Rennala, you now have the ability to re-spec by using a specific consumable. I stayed as a DEX/INT hybrid with more of my lategame points going into INT, and without much effort, I had like 13 tears that I can use for re-specs.

INT-build is absolutely viable, and some would consider it too easy/cheating. There’s a specific spell setup that basically lets you fire off a laser that melts bosses, and a buddy of mine who used that setup admitted that the game became a bit too easy because it was about finding the 5-10 second window where he can cast the necessary spells uninterrupted. On a lark, even my DEX/INT hybrid setup was able to use that spell setup to absolutely destroy runebears and a lategame version of the Tree Sentinel.

…the game became a bit too easy because it was about finding the 5-10 second window where he can cast the necessary spells uninterrupted.

My main mage is using this same strategy. An important caveat is that it is simply not suited for all enemies – there are plenty that don’t stay still long enough to target, or that will jump away the minute they are hit.

Much in the same way some enemies will “input read”, rendering many of your spells ineffective, you must have some kind of backup plan available. This can be particularly challenging if you thought you were going to kill the enemy, and now they are closing fast and you are out of FP and holding the wrong weapons and spells!

But when it works, it is great. After getting beaten to a pulp so much, it is deeply satisfying to melt so many monsters into smoking puddles.

Equipment upgrades matter a lot. Level can matter, too.

Equally important is trying other tactics and methods. Enemies that seem impervious to your weapons may burn to a crisp easily if you lob some fire pots. Damage type matters, too – critters that shrug off your swords and spears may crumble when beaten with a club.

Pick a best initial hit, too. Are you backstabbing? Pulling with a ranged attack?

At this point in the game, if something seems “too tough” for me, I am usually either way under-leveled for the area or using the wrong approach.

Use your weapon arts, and change them and your weapons out if the situation merits it or if your existing ones aren’t working.

Use summons, too. For the first part of my first playthrough, I didn’t really understand Spirit Ashes and didn’t use them. Once I started using them, I felt like an idiot for waiting so long. They are there for a reason!