Elden Ring - George R.R. Martin and Hidetaka Miyazaki

I’m not following why each category has more than one number. What does a STR soft cap of 20 / 55/ 80 mean? Is the soft cap 20? 55? or 80?

@Grenyes Soft Cap generally refers to where you start getting such diminishing (not none, just a lot less than you were getting) returns on investing points in those attributes.

This is good advice for a whole bunch of setups. It defaults to some very awkward combos.

There are tiers of softcaps. Making numbers up - but lets say 1% until you hit the 1st soft cap, then .7% until the 2nd soft cap, then .4%, etc.

It was probably the broken FPS limiter ER uses in windowed/borderless mode. I tried those changes and a dozen other things, but only using Fullscreen mode or setting a 59 FPS limit work.

Not that I’ve found. I haven’t tried it with a greatshield, or two-handing, but your primary horse defense is mobility. You can also spam the horse-healing item.

Oh, okay thanks! - that’s sort of strange but I guess it makes sense. I swear I was getting a lot more out of my Moonveil scaling as I put points in my INT while in the 40’s - it had been +1 attack per point until suddenly I was getting +2, but who knows.

EDIT: This is interesting - the third tier of Soft Cap seems still worth doing, if it helps solidify your build at least.

Me too. Other than that horse combat is great, but the lack of blocking definitely sucks.

OK thanks! That’s good to know.

Ah is that what that gravestone looking icon is on the left side of the screen? Telling me I can summon them?

And sounds like I just treat spells like a bow in terms of having to face the target.

Yeah, you can use your spirit summons when you see that icon.

Correct, but I’ve found spells work as long as they are in like a central 90 degree arc in front of you - even maybe at 90 degrees as I can often hit foes while riding laterally around them while locked onto them and they will land.

I must not be that far yet. I’m 21 hours in, I don’t think the game has taught me how to do coop yet. In the Souls games, I think there used to be something on the ground I could click on if I was human, what is the equivalent of that in this game? I was just assuming the game would teach me eventually.

I hate that they feel the need to change this in each game. There’s a consumable that you have to eat that will then show the signs on the ground. At least on the xbox I really don’t get a lot of signs. Maybe because I leveled too fast? You can craft the consumable so don’t worry about how many you use.

Ah I see. So like Humanity, except you don’t get extra health this time.

Wow this quest I’m doing now is literally dungeonception. I don’t even remember where I started, all I now is that I’m now about 3 or 4 levels deep. Superb design and atmosphere.

Nope that’s something they changed as well.

Co-op you have to use a consumable (I forget the name)
Humanity/Hollow doesn’t exist in this game
Great runes have a whole mechanic around it to get and activate
To actually use the great rune in battle you need to use a Rune Arc which is kind of like humanity… It lasts until you die and buffs you

You never know what people are leaving to explore later. 40 hours isn’t bad assuming you’ve cleared out all of Limgrave, the island to the south, maybe a few other connected zones that would be a spoiler to talk about.

The first area of the game is where I spent the biggest chunk of time, but the game gets… bigger…

If you open your menu, there is an option that says “Multiplayer” which I use all the time. The top left thingy is what lets you see summon signs. The gold finger is your summon sign. You can make more of both of them in crafting.

I like using the menu instead of rummaging around in my now endless inventory…

One thing about this is when you first look at the map, it shows you what you’ve explored, and some “foggy” areas, but you kind of think that you can see the edge?

But… the edge just keeps moving.

I still have not explored the entire map, but at this point even when zoomed all the way out, it doesn’t come close to fitting on my TV screen. The map is freaking gigantic.

19 posts were merged into an existing topic: Elden Ring: a thread specifically for spoilers

So, I was messing around with my samurai, cane across the crab in Agheel, decided I’d shoot it.

So I did, and it came charging towards me, and I got stuck between it and a rock, so it knocked me of my horse.

I switched weapons but was panicking so I actually switching from now to katana to bow again, just as the crab was above me and I was on the ground.

I was panicking and pressing r1 again and again, thinking that was the melee attack, but it wasn’t.

I killed it with point blank shooting.

Some real Legolas like shit right there!

I’d say I play at a pretty average pace and I’m at 92ish hours and towards the end of the game. If I had to guess I have maybe 10 hours left. I’m sure there’s a bunch I could go back and do, but that’s what NG+ is for. :) Anyone that did it in 50 hours or less was blazing through the sections or knew exactly where to go. Because there’s just too much…