Elden Ring - George R.R. Martin and Hidetaka Miyazaki

Christmas for sure.

I am fast approaching 100 hours. Almost level 100.

I arrived at the Altus plateau/Mt. Gelmir area. Lots more to explore. I was stuck deep underground for like FOREVER pursuing a multi-character spanning questline.

One thing is I definitely triggered some progress changes back at the Roundtable Hold. The All-knowing guy changed his dialog and a new door opened. I’ve only killed like 3 of the named shardbearers though so the choice to talk about the others I haven’t yet killed is gone…

So you are maybe 40% thru the game. :)

That quest line, while optional should not be missed.

Ok going through Rannis quest. Finally managed to run through the rot without dying to get to the coffin. Get to the Astel boss and I’m not even close to killing him.

I’m an Int build, about level 110, got Moonveil up to maybe 7, meteorite staff. Got mimic leveled maybe midway. I summon mimic but he doesn’t seem to do anything. I’m throwing rock sling at the boss’s head but they seem to have no effect. I’m dodging decently but he gets his hits that take half my health. And in some fights he gets me with an instant kill.

I can learn to dodge but me and my mimic aren’t moving his health bar hardly at all. Not used to a boss that seems immune to my rock sling. Need some suggestions on how to git better with him. Thanks

It’s been a while, but according to this video I captured, it looks like I just alternated between spamming Rock Sling and hitting it with Moonveil when it’s down while Mimic drew its aggro.

Hmmm. I’m not seeing his health drop at all with rock sling. I wonder if I’m too far away.

Mimic and rock sling. Also IIRC the materials to upgrade that Moonveil were in the area you just went thru.

The rot area and the city ruins have materials I think. The rot area is worth exploring even on suicidal runs.

Have to go back and find those upgrades. I’m staying at the distance I’m at when I first enter the mist. Is that too far for rock sling?

Rock Sling is slow and enemies can dodge it easier than like Glintstone Pebble. Astel’s head is very weak to Rock Sling, so it’s very likely you need to get closer to make sure Rock Sling actually hits its face.

I’ll try that. My mimic is doing no damage. Hopefully he isn’t hanging back with me.

Hmmm…I wonder if the meteorite staff might be holding you back a bit. I recently started playing a sorcerer and replaced the meteorite with an upgraded Academy Glintstone Staff. I found that to be an upgrade once I got it to level 15 or so. Once I had enough mats and my intelligence was high enough, I dropped that for the Carian Regal Scepter.

I actually managed to beat Astel yesterday, with my Moonveil and Mimic around the same level as yours. It took a number of tries but I think I took Astel down by staying tangled under its feet, spamming quick casting glintstone shards or cold shard spells and whacking around with Moonveil. I think this allowed my Mimic to actually fight and draw attention away from me.

That temple spot you just came from is a great place to grind levels quickly.

As with most bosses staying close is a good thing. Astel does have a grab attack and a gravity attack you need to watch out for.

The Carian staff with some levels is better than almost all others. The problem with the meteorite staff is that it can’t be upgraded.

Got the Carian but would need to do a lot of upgrading; I think I’ve read you have to get it to +14 before it starts to be stronger than the Meteorite. Also - Meteorite has a bonus for gravity spells and I use Rock Sling a LOT. Does the Carian still outshine the Meteorite with Rock Sling?

Yeah, you need to upgrade the Carian a bit before it starts to shine. It uses somber smithing stones so you should be able to get it to 9 fairly quickly. I think Intelligence level also matters. Even with the gravity spell bonus, other staffs scale better at higher intelligence levels.

The is an interesting staff damage calculator out there where you can input weapon upgrade level and stat level and see how those values impact on staff scaling.

I found the meteorite to be a great staff in the early to mid game but like Scuzz pointed out, the fact that it can’t be upgraded is a problem.

I found I was using rock sling a lot less as I levelled. Wait till you start flinging moon balls:)

Moon balls? I have the full moon or whatever spell but it seems slow.

Looked at a map of the rot ocean or whatever it is, looks like I’m going to die a few times trying to grab a Somber stone or two. ;)

Yep, the full moon and dark moon spells are the ones I am talking about. They can be devastating as openers - especially the dark moon spell because it adds frost damage. Are you using the Radagon Icon? That helps with casting speed. I also have 30 dexterity, so that helps a bit too.

The Carian gives a bonus to these spells.

Yeah, you may die a couple of times in that rot lake, but all in a good cause:) There are also some high level sombers lying around in other zones that are easier to scrounge.

Man, i’ve had to work so hard to find Somber Stones to upgrade my Moonveil and Wing of Astel (still not all the way yet) I dread the thought of having to find more high level Somber Stones to upgrade the Carian Regal Scepter! ;)

Looks like I may have to rise up on a platform to get the Somber Stone 9 in the rot ocean. I’ve got full moon but not dark moon (and now I have to look up where to get it, LOL!)

@JeffL Have you played around with outfitting the mimic? The mimic takes your setup when you summon it, but then you can change up your gear after the mimic has been summoned. If you play around with equipment, you might be able to get your mimic to run in and take aggro and then free yourself up to blast with rock sling.

You are already on the path for the dark moon, so no worries there:)