Eldritch Horror play by forum

Player names are written on the spaces, although they are a bit hard to see.

I would love to, but can’t figure out how. (They snap upright. I could maybe composite screenshots if I had more advanced image editing than Paint.) I did label each player.

Who is up next?

Me generating a Madness for ironwulf, which I can’t do at work. But if @charmtrap feels comfortable picking actions before that happens, feel free.

Sure. Might take a minute. There’s a lot of text to parse upthread, and I’m trying to find a free 15 minutes to do it.

I thought work was actually the best place to generate madness.

For yourself, sure. :p

Sefina Rousseau gains 1 Madness condition:
Paranoia (Condition) - Madness: When you perform a Rest action, roll 1 die. On a 5 or 6 you may discard this card. Reckoning: Test Will. If you fail, flip this card.

And now:
Action%20Phase

OK, sorry bout the delay.

I think I’ll head for the Amazon to try and scoop that clue, and then hopefully get to Buenos Aires. It’s going to take me two turns anyway so instead of using my ship ticket, I’ll just hold at space 10 to try and get my another stop on personal story completed. For my second turn, I will try and nab that Bull Whip.

I get one die. http://orokos.com/roll/619685 1, fail, but who cares. I’ll discard the Bull Whip, and then pick it up out of the discard.

You get a free 1 die reroll on every Influence (which Acquire Assets is) or Will test while you have Mind’s Eye so you might as well use it. I took the liberty of doing so for you and…it was still a 1. So Bull Whip it is.

At the end of your turn the Asset Reserve restocks. New card is:
[3] Silver Twilight Ritual (Asset) - Service: When you gain this card, immediately retreat Doom by 1. Then discard this card.

@Brooski, you are up.

First action: Take Ship token
Second action: Travel three spaces to Panama City.

Edit: oops, I think @ironwulf always follows me.

Correct. But @ notifications don’t work in edits, so: @ironwulf

First Action: Travel 2 ship spaces to Buenos Aires
Second Action Spend my STR improvement token to gain 1 Focus, Clue, and Resource

The spent improvement token will go on my Personal Stories card to try to advance that.

@triggercut

“Hmm,” thinks Carolyn. “I came here in search of a clue that might help us. I’ve no idea how I survived that attack by that, that thing, but at this point there’s no point really in leaving until I’ve found what I’ve come for. Bear down, Old Girl. You can manage this.”

First action: Focus action to gain 1 focus.
Second action: Rest, to try to get rid of amnesia and recover the health lost in last encounter.

Believe that brings us to the Encounter phase. When Carolyn is up for that she’ll perform a Research Encounter to try to gain that fershlugginer clue.

Point of order: there is an Honored Dead in your space now. You cannot Rest with a monster in your space, and you won’t get to perform a Research encounter unless you first kill it (all the way, and it has 3 health) in a Combat Encounter. Are you prepared to do that? If not I would leave.

Edit: Also, if you want to get rid of Amnesia, you can use your special action to automatically get rid of it. (And although you would not also be able to Rest as it would normally allow, due to the monster, you could still do it in your current space, I believe.)

Didn’t see the monster there. My bad.

First action: travel to Rome
Second Action: Rest (more concerned with health loss from previous encounter.) The card action says “and/or” perform a rest when discarding a madness condition. If it is “And”, here, then Rest and discard.

I’ll assume that second action is actually your special action because there’s no reason not to use it to clear your Madness automatically in addition to Resting.
You are back to full Health and Sanity, no longer have Amnesia, and due to your Dream Diary, Clue spawned at Space 3.

Encounter%20Phase
Ashcan Pete
Wilderness Encounter

Strength is 3. 3 die test. 4, 3, 3 Using reroll from Duke 5 = 1 success
_Didn’t use Practiced here because the Mythos card could be a Reckoning and you’d get more out of using it on the Lore check for Mind’s Eye _

But you didn’t, thankfully. The lack of upside here was another reason I didn’t think Practiced was worth it.
Space 10 token discarded from Personal Story.

Agnes Baker
City Encounter

Influence is 3, reduced by one for test. 2 die test, blessed so succeeds on 4+.
6, 1 = 1 success

1 Focus gained. Talent condition gained.
Guts (Condition) - Talent: When resolving a Combat Encounter, you may gain +2 Will during that encounter. If you do, flip this card before resolving the test.

Sefina Rousseau
Buenos Aires Encounter (City)

Forced Learning (Spell) - Glamour: Once per round, when you improve a skill, improve that skill again. Reckoning: Test Lore, then flip this card.
This is an exceedingly ridiculous card for Sefina of all people to get.

Influence is 2, minus one from test. 1 die test. 1 Spending 1 Focus, refreshed by Memento
@ironwulf, you still have 2 Focus tokens (and if desired, 2 Clue tokens) you could spend on rerolls. 2 is max Focus. Spend or let the Despair ride?

Carolyn Fern
Rome Encounter

Except you don’t have any, so no dice.

Just waiting on whether ironwulf wants to do any more rerolling, and then I’ll run Mythos.

Mayor: Good on you for paying for the catastrophic damage you caused. Hey, I ever tell you how to shrug off a sucking chest wound?

I will spend 1 Focus to re-roll

Sefina Rousseau (Continued)
1 Focus token spent for a reroll. 3
0 Successes. Despair condition gained.
Despair (Condition) - Madness: When you perform a Rest action, you cannot regain Sanity; flip this card. Reckoning: Lose 1 Sanity.

Mythos%20Phase

Advance Omen
Omen moves to Red. One Red Gate. Doom advances to 11

Reckoning
Monsters:

Summary

Werewolf: 3 spaces away from Ashcan Pete, Carolyn Fern, and Sefina Rousseau. Can move to either space 17 or Sydney, investigator choice.
Honored Dead: Roll 1 die. On 1 or 2 nearest investigator (Carolyn Fern) will be Cursed. 3
Hunting Horror: Moves to nearest investigator, Carolyn Fern, who immediately encounters it.
Horror check: Will is 4 +1 -1 = 4 die test. 6, 5, 4, 3 = 2 successes 3 Sanity damage - 2 success = 1 Sanity loss. Could use the Markings reroll for a possible 3rd success but I think it’s more important for the Strength check given Carolyn’s abilities.
Combat check: Strength is 2 + 1 = 3 die test. 5, 2, 2 Markings reroll 4 1 success vs 2 Health damage = 1 Health loss. Hunting Horror loses 1 Health as well.
Dunwich Horror: Roll 1 die. On 4 or less, Gate spawns. 3
Gate spawns in Buenos Aires (Blue)
Avian Thrall spawns from Gate.
Avian Thrall: Toughness 3. Horror: Will. 2 dam. Combat: Str - 1. 2 dam.
If Sanity is lost in Will test, gain 1 Corruption Condition.
Reckoning: Move this Monster to the nearest investigator; that investigator immediately encounters this Monster.

Ancient One Sheet:

Summary

Spawn 1 Monster, then advance Doom if 10+ monsters:
Young Cthonian spawns in Heart of Africa (the Cthonian had a baby, awww)
Young Cthonian: Toughness 3. Horror: Will -1. 2 dam. Combat: Str -1. 2 dam.
When this Monster is spawned, each investigator on this space or an adjacent space loses 1 Health and 1 Sanity.
No one is in an affected space. Total Monsters = 7 so no Doom.

Investigator Possessions:

Summary

Ashcan Pete:
Mind’s Eye: Test Lore and flip. Lore is 3. Activating Practiced for +1 die and 1 reroll. 4 die test. 6, 4, 3, 2 reroll 2
1 success = Lose 1 Sanity down to 4 of 5

Agnes Baker:
Alter Fate: Test Lore and flip. Lore is 4. 4 die test, blessed. 5, 4, 4, 2
3 successes = no effect.
Agreement: Roll 1 die, flip on 1 or 2. 4
Blessed: Roll 1 die, discard on 1 or 2. 6

Sefina Rousseau:
Shroud of Shadow: Test Lore -1 and flip. Lore is 3 - 1 for test. 2 die test. 3, 3
0 successes: Take 1 Madness or discard. Note that you can’t gain the same Madness twice, so if it’s a Paranoia or Despair, you’d just discard the new card to no effect.
Forced Learning: Test Lore and flip. Lore is 3. 3 die test. 4, 4, 1

Forced Learning (Reverse Side)
0 successes: The magic goes awry and something in your memory gives way. Impair a skill of your choice unless you discard this card.
1-2 successes: The magic puts a constant strain on your psyche. Lose 1 Sanity.
3+ successes: You open your mind to the secrets of the arcane. Lose 1 Sanity and gain 1 Spell.

You could spend Focus (and Clues) to reroll a die on either Lore check, @ironwulf. Otherwise, let me know whether you’re taking the Madness and/or the impairment or discarding the spells.
Paranoia: Test Will. If you fail, flip this card. Will is 3. 3 die test. 6, 3, 2 = pass
Despair: Lose 1 Sanity. Sanity down to 7 of 8.

Carolyn Fern
Markings of Isis: Test Lore -1. Lore is 3 +1 -1. 3 die test. 5, 5, 4
2 successes = 1 focus token.

Gate Spawn
Gate spawns in Tunguska (Green)
Deep One Hybrid spawns from Gate.
Deep One Hybrid: Toughness 1. Horror: Will. Dam 1. Combat: Str -1. Dam 1.
When you defeat this Monster in a Combat Encounter, lose 1 Sanity and gain 1 random Item Asset from the deck.

Resolve Effect

The Lead Investigator gains 1 Relic Unique Asset, and may shuffle the Expedition deck.
Ashcan Pete gains 1 Relic Unique Asset:
Mysterious Idol (Unique Asset) - Item - Magical Relic: When you gain this card from the deck, gain 1 Clue. Reckoning: The idol reveals its true purpose to you. Flip this card.
Ashcan gains a second Clue.
@charmtrap, do you want to shuffle the Expedition deck? This will likely move the current expedition to a new location.

Pending effects before we move on to Turn 3:
Where should I move the Werewolf? Space 17 or Sydney?
Does @ironwulf want to spend tokens to reroll dice on either Glamour spell’s Lore test, and if not, badness or discard?
Expedition reshuffle or no?
PS: If y’all don’t close at least one Gate by the end of next Encounter phase, Sefina will fail her Personal Story. Carolyn, on the other hand, is I believe one Rest in her space away from succeeding at hers. And Pete just needs to have an encounter in Buenos Aires. (Not necessarily a city encounter - just an encounter on that space. Which includes new bird friend.)