Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

A 5A is a bit outside my current budget. I think I have D atm - maybe I can stick boosters in the utility slots?

if I had too choose I would put the fuel scoop at the top of the list. It speed up exploration so much.

Yeah I think I will invest in that. Though I’m such a skinflint I already use my current one on most normal in-bubble jumps as it is to save a few credits - and the Asp heats up so much more quickly than my old Diamondback that I already get nervous scooping… also hence the desire for emergency heat sinks.

Did you land on many worlds? Is there much point? I guess to gather materials?

Oh and I bought a new toy with my expedition money.

Nice! :)

This thread is making me want to get back in the cockpit, but I just burned out the LEDs in my new homemade headtracker by using the wrong resistor, and I have no idea when the replacement parts will get here.

yeah the shield is optional. D should be fine. I landed several times on the way out, just taking selfies & exploring for boost components. Its optional. I was too scared on the way back :)

The best scoop you can get and you should be good!

Take the opportunity to upgrade to a VR HMD. ;)

@Rod_Humble, how did you select your destination? Did you base out of Colonia and go from there?

I went the opposite direction, which was a bit daft of me. I kind of had the vague idea that a new alien discovery would be in a nebula on the other side of the galaxy from the others. So I just headed out that way and wandered. :)

nice.

So do you guys use any 3rd party apps like eddi, edmc, voice attack, and trade computer extension?

My will on holding out for the next generation of vr hmd is crumbling fast.

No 3rd party software, I will use websites though.

Interestingly the new passenger mission stuff doesn need any which is cool. I am enjoying it so far.

@ vyshka :
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/58992049.jpg

It’s awesome in elite and even better in Il2 and DCS.

Agreed you need to get VR! Its awesome!

IL-2 is great but sometimes in Elite… I dunno, the immersion, you can tell your own SF stories in there… so good.

Which hmd are people recommending these days? I’ve seen articles recommending both.

I went Oculus but they are both fine I think.

[quote=“vyshka, post:6231, topic:70900, full:true”]
So do you guys use any 3rd party apps like eddi, edmc, voice attack, and trade computer extension?[/quote]

Nope nothing. I occasionally use websites to look up a trade destination but that’s it. I’ve thought about setting up voice but never got around to it. You don’t need it in Elite if you use a HOTAS but it might be kind of cool I guess.

Which hmd are people recommending these days? I’ve seen articles recommending both.

That’s because they’re both pretty good. :) I think more people here and in the combat sim thread have the Rift than the Vive, myself included.

That is what I’ve been leaning towards. The slightly lower price helps, and from what I’ve read the controllers are better than the vive controllers. For folks with the rift have you purchased the additional sensor to do the 360 tracking? I’m guessing it probably isn’t needed if the primary experience is flight sims, at least initially.

I bought voice attack, and an hcs voice pack a while back, but then my saitek hotas was being flaky so I never got around to setting it up until this weekend. I’ve been enjoying it. EDDI can run as a plugin with it, and that talks to some different sites, like edsm, so it can tell me if I’ve been to the system before and how many times; who controls a system; trade goods that have a good price in the system. The hcs voice pack people include bindings files that are set up for different hotas rigs and their profiles so no messing about was needed by me beyond copying the file over.

I’ve been flying missions around the vicinity of orcus to build up some money, and get veloxi rep. The missions generate enough money that with not too many hours of play I was able to upgrade a bunch of stuff on my cobra, and load out a viper to go hunting in res locations.

The https://inara.cz/ website has a radio station, so I listen to that as I fly about. It is a mix of electronic, galnet news, and I think commercials for the ed universe.

Anyways, been having fun this weekend getting back into the game.

No, I have just the (now) standard 2 sensors. I see Oculus do have an experimental 360 degree setup you can do with the 2 sensors placed diagonally opposite, though you’d probably want USB extension for it to be worthwhile.

But mainly there aren’t a lot of games that I’m aware of, or any I’m interested in that want me to jump up and move about in 360 degrees.

EDDI looks interesting, I may have to check it out! Guess I have to buy a voice pack?

Eddi can run stand alone as well I think

I think the one really handy thing, would be using voice to search the galaxy map. I think that’s the only place you have to type, which in the headset is difficult.

Awesome job on the exploration run and new ride, @Rod_Humble!

I keep meaning to get it installed and set up on my new machine, but keep finding other things to keep busy with. I miss the game a lot, though, so may jump back in during the long holiday weekend upcoming. We also get Friday off work and I may put in one vac day for Thu so may make it a 5-day weekend! My only problem is a new EQ server launches on Wed and I may not be able to stay away :).

Ugh, I didn’t notice that gold-plated diamond-encrusted scoop you use is 28 million! That’s about my total worth… ;)

Have to go with a 6C instead, tried it out and it seems okay…

Ah cool. Yeah it just speeds things up is all. Enjoy your wanderings! Please send pics!!!