Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

Nope, I don’t see it there. I went back to the last system I was at, and it had an outpost there allowed outfitting so I checked and I do have it. Odd that it isn’t included in the module list. I figured it had to be in there. Back to the journey!

re- rift or vive; rift is better with elite. not only is it the more comfortable of the two, there’s also a known problem with vive colour reproduction in elite. There’s a workaround but that involves some serious pc-gamer-masterrace getting your elbows dirty. Rift is just plug and play. cheaper too. If what you want is seated cockpit experiences, rift > vive. If you think corporate identity matters and want room-scale vr out of the box, vive > rift.

About 35 jumps into the trip so far. Had to deviate at 1 point to jump to a system I could scoop since it had me go to a string of brown dwarfs and I got a first discover on that system. Also hit a system with 3 earth like planets in the system. I’m close enough now I can use the route planner in the galaxy map and have it use the filter on the route so I only jump to scoopable systems. 990 ly to go.

I wish you could see the radar image of a selected object while focused on the navigation panel. I can do it by turning by head a bit with the trackir but it can lose track. Maybe it is better in vr. Can be annoying when trying to figure out what to scan. Maybe if they’d let you tag items.

One of the earth like planets was 370k ls away. I think that is the furthest I’ve gone. Got up to about 780c on that trip.

Do most people fly with orbit lines off? I’m finding I like it better with them toggled off.

I fly with the orbital lines on. Gives a better indication of how a system is ordered to me. Having them off is more immersive of course.

Re. the side panels; You can set them to not open up on focus but on a button press. I have them at pinky+hat. That way I dont activate them when just looking around and can still use them even when looking elsewhere. (getting docking permission for example is more like playing a riff on the HOTAS than anything else)

Hmm, I haven’t had any issues, but I might not know what I’m looking at. Can you chuck a link into the thread when you get a chance?

-Tom

I haven’t tried that method, I might give it a go (though I have “pinky+most things” already taken up).

I have panels on focus, but holding a button makes them not appear. I wish that were a toggle as I use it all the time to look around without triggering the panels, but it’s a pain holding it down.

Can anyone confirm using a HDMI to DP adapter actually does anything?

i will tell you in a couple days, just ordered me an adapter thingy.

I made it to Hillary Depot in one piece:

http://imgur.com/5EBfMOJ

I forgot to get a pic of the 2 earth like planets that were paired together, so I plan on trying to hit that system on the way back. There also was a neutron star way off in the distance on one of the 1st jumps that I may grab a pic of. I’m just going to use the in game route planner for the trip back. It seemed to work pretty well for the last 900 ly of the trip out. I made back about $11M I spent on the DBX and bumped up from surveyor to pathfinder.

Didn’t get many nice pictures. A few ringed gas giants since my youngest daughter loves them and thinks they are all Saturn. Hopefully I will get a good shot of the 2 earth-like planets that were together in M7 Sector EM-U c3-12. I saw a few water worlds on the trip:

http://imgur.com/Q6k8yBL

Beautiful!!! Grats on the 11M as well! Thats a nice payout!

Thanks. I got first discover on a number of objects which helped a bit. I don’t know if I actually was the first to any systems. What I reported earlier was actually just the first person that sent data on that system to EDSM.

I read it potentially works because the HDMI settings in control panel may not be correctly set to full dynamic range, and with Rift plugged in you can’t check and modify the settings. So using the adapter uses the Display Port control panel settings, which are likely correct since most monitors would be using DP and set to full dynamic range.

Plugging a monitor in to the HDMI and checking the control panel settings that way achieves the same result.

I haven’t played ED yet, but I think based on screenshots it’s the best-looking space sim ever.

It is a nice looking game. I’m curious to see how they tackle planets that aren’t giant rocks, but hopefully that will work out okay.

That’s been on mind too. In the old days you could get away with sparse low poly buildings and city object things because of hardware limitations. Fast forward to today how in the hell are they going to model the surface of a high tech world populated with billions and complex sprawling cityscapes. In the flight sim world you can purchase high quality 3rd party scenery of faithfully rendered cities but I don’t know if what would work in FSX/Xplane would work in ED. I don’t envy their task that’s for sure.

Live stream started. Err no sounds though. The community is reacting with the kind of calm stoic like patience one would expect.

https://www.youtube.com/frontierdevelopments/live

edit they shut it down to fix audio

edit: and we are BACK!!!

Looking forward to the recap.

Yeah definitely wait for that. They are doing some bullshit interactive “community” event instead of just telling us the damn features.

edit this looks like just a waste of time. No announcements just some community streamers doing some lame quest thing.