Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

Amazing! Thanks for sharing the journey.

That was all kinds of awesome. Glad that blowing up thing was just a dream!

So Fleet Carriers coming in December I guess.

Le meh.

“Personal Fleet Carrier” and “Command your own”. Does that mean they’ve changed their minds about individual ownership of the carriers? I thought they’d said they’d be owned by a squadron or something like that. Though I guess this is just the natural next level of money-sinking for players, so…

From what I’ve watched they are personal not squadron.

I loved Elite back in 1.2 (I played around March or so 2015) and had an absolute blast, playing enough to have a very well tricked-out Vulture. Recently, after wrapping Rebel Galaxy, I felt the urge to get back into Elite again so I converted my key over to Steam, pulled it down and lo-and-behold there was my Vulture and my account!

Too afraid to try and remember how to fly and crash my $“420k to insure” Vulture, I logged out, but now I see the Horizons expansion/pass is 70% off and only $9. Worth jumping back in for nine bucks maybe?

I guess. You get to roll around on planets, which is kind of cool even if just for the novelty. Can’t remember if Engineers are part of Horizons, but that’s probably worth the price of admission if you’re looking to trick out your Vulture. I hate the grind for them (at least how it was), but I do like the extra options to tweak and enhance my favorite ships.

It looks like Engineers is indeed part of the Horizons pack.

Or should I just fire it up and play a bit and save $9?

Oh come on, even for one evening of digging the planetary landing stuff its worth it.

I agree with @schurem that it’s likely worth the $9. Just getting the game reinstalled, getting out your HOTAS and refamiliarizing yourself with the controls takes a good while. If you’re willing to invest that much into it to start playing again, I think you’d get $9 worth out of landing on barren planets and driving around as well as customizing your Vulture.

Hey nice. Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking maybe the Horizon pass was worth that much just to get those landers and go explore barren worlds. Wait, that sounds really boring, unless there’s something on those planets. But you never know, maybe it’s really pretty.

Heh, it has been so long since I played I forgot I bought a python and a fer de lance when I was looking at edsm.

Ah, the joys of not remembering what button retracts hardpoints since it has been 8 months, and voice attack won’t retract them either so the system ship you accidentally pinged gets to pop you at the tune of $4m. Made some of it back up on bounties afterwards though. Still is fun to fly around in this game. Seems like they have been making some little ui changes.

The default keybinding voiceattack uses doesn’t function for some reason. It worked when I rebound it to a different key sequence. Much easier to say “retract hardpoints” than trying to remember which key or button to hit. :)

Apparently Veloxi’s VIxens are no longer in control of the Orcus system. Not sure if I’ve ever seen us not in power.

Hehe, I decided to give the new mining a try and go look for some void opals. I had my python set up, but wanted some weapons on it as well in case I got jumped. So I added some, and with the ui color scheme I’d picked in edprofiler I didn’t notice that my setup was taking me over my power limits. I also allowed myself to go below my insurance on my balance since I blew a bunch of money on an asp explorer, fer de lance, and python the last period of time I played. I can probably count on my hands the number of times I’ve lost a ship so no problem. I get out to a ring, hit the pulse wave analyzer and my ship goes dark. Oxygen level is counting down, and the ship isn’t responding to anything. Frantically looking to try to find some command to get it back online, but fail. End of dying a lonely death, and get a tab from some loan sharks to get my ship back. I reset the color scheme to standard for the time being, and got the ship configured better, then went back out. Still have a hard time recognizing the right shape for the asteroids to crack for void opals, but I did get 23 out of 2 of them, which got my loan paid off and me back up to about $30m.

Is there a way to get the ship back online when you blow the power?

You can enable and disable power to individual systems in the panel on the right I believe.

It seemed like the panel wouldn’t even come up. Usually looking over there pops it up in vr, also telling voice attack systems panel was getting me nowhere. Not sure what I did. :)

I decided to hook the trackir back up and fire this up normally instead of in vr. I don’t know if I could go back to non-vr, while the picture is nice it just feels off.

I only played Elite in VR briefly, after spending quite a bit of time with it in the default pancake mode. I know exactly what you mean. Even after just a couple hours in VR, it felt so ridiculous when I played it on my monitor the next day. It was like a “Haha, I can’t believe I used to find this so immersive on my monitor” kind of thing.

Now that I have my new headset I keep meaning to fire Elite back up, but the thought of digging out my HOTAS, configuring all the controls, remembering all the controls… I usually just end up playing something else instead.