Endless Legend - Fantasy 4X TBS from Endless Space devs

After Endless Space, I don’t think I trust these guys.

My problem with Endless Space is that it’s hugely flavorless. There are all kinds of places where they could have added narrative beats, world color, history, a sense of who these factions are and what the techs represent and so on and so forth and it…isn’t there. There are events that just tell you what the mechanical result was, for criminy’s sake. And this is bad in an SF context, but I think it would utterly crush a fantasy game.

Yeah, how about they fix Endless Space, first. It has some grievous design flaws that get in the way of what would otherwise be a good game.

Weren’t they doing an expansion for Endless Space? They should have finished that, and later, announce this new game.

jumps in Is THIS where they add the fun?! HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA jumps out

They released an expansion not long ago, maybe thats what you are talking about? I never bought it so i dont know how good it is or if adds “fun” to the game.

It isn’t and it doesn’t.

Endless Space is why I had to wait until this morning to finally pick up Wargames ALB - as such, Endless Space was definitely not a smart purchase on my part, I guess the pretty screens suckered me in.

Really? The consensus seems that WALB is pretty good.

I think he’s saying the Endless Space purchase was the bad idea.

Interesting - I liked Endless space, and thought it had the greatest UI ever and the game itself was also fun in some areas. I’m a turtler though, and that tactic really didn’t work well in this game.

ES has quite a few UI issues, but I agree it is one of the best game UIs I’ve seen in a decade. It’s just kind of like saying playing piano with 3 broken fingers is a lot more fun than trying to do it with 10 broken fingers.

Honestly I don’t get it at all. How can the industry be so completely crap at something so critical?

Anyway, ES is very much like a TB version of SoaSE, and I’m guessing that’s why it isn’t more popular than it is. It’s a game that looks like something it isn’t, and what it isn’t happens to be exactly what everyone wants, namely MoO by another name.
Sure, it (still) has some pretty laughable AI issues, but they only kick in at the highest & possibly penultimate difficulties which - assuming people don’t change their behaviour drastically whenever they play ES - almost nobody who has or will ever play ES, have even tried.

Endless Space - another corpse on my space 4X game graveyard.

When will I ever learn?

Oops, sorry, poor phrasing - KevinC got it, I was referring to Endless Space being a bad purchase, as it made me hold off longer than I should have to pick up Wargames, which is excellent on every level.

Are you guys kidding about the UI? All those screens warping in and out. No you can’t colonize or change planetary production on the system view, you have to pause to warp into the planet view – which sometimes mysteriously stops working for a while. No you can’t select a reasonable space around a star, you have to select the star itself, which sometimes is no more than 4 pixels wide. And where did my fleet go? It just disappears when it’s close to a star. And if I misclick the lowest turn info icon, it ends the turn. Come on…

I’m probably going to be lynched but: I really enjoy Endless Space. It’s not a perfect game by any means but it’s damn pretty and, though I personally prefer games like SoaSE, my friends are relatively new to the 4X genre and Endless Space has proven to be a really good starting point for them. We’ve played quite a number of games and they are only now starting to understand the intricacies of balancing research versus production versus expansion versus military. And, frankly, I find it a pretty entertaining game regardless of its faults, and quite enjoy the flavor that is there: the Endless Wonders spark interest in the backstory, though I do agree that the actual races have little to distinguish between them. Also, I am pretty happy that they backed off of the micromanagement for units because that is always my downfall in these games. A Starcraft player I am not.

TL;DR: It might seem hollow for those of us who love the more complex 4X games but it’s great for people new to the genre.

For that reason, I’m intrigued about Endless Legend; it certainly looks like Civ V, for better or worse, but the fantasy theme is cool and the features they talk about in that preview are interesting. What’s also interesting is that it sounds like each game may have a timer – if the object is to save the world or flee, it is probable that there will be a time limit on each game. Which is neat to me; sometimes having confines can help make the experience more vivid. I’ll be keeping my eye on this one.

I don’t want to lynch you, TundraWolf, I’m just jealous. I hate when I can’t enjoy a game, especially one in a favorite genre and that I’ve spent money on.

My apologies. But yeah, the UI in ES isn’t that good at all, I find. It’s pretty and colorful, but useful? My ass.

I’m with the group that enjoyed Endless Space. I also don’t remember having any gripes/issues with the UI in the game. Is it the best 4X game ever? No, but it is good and it’s one I’ll continue to play from time to time.

In regards to Endless Legend, I think I would have been a lot more excited for this game 3-4 years ago. With the recent releases of Warlock and Fallen Enchantress, my desire for a fantasy based 4X game isn’t where it used to be.

I never thought I would say this, but I’m getting pretty sick and tired of 4X, which used to be my favorite genre. With minor variations, every title palys pretty much like every other title.