Endless Legend - Fantasy 4X TBS from Endless Space devs

Have you tried Distant Worlds yet? ;) ducks, runs away

Listen, I understand by now that you more or less hate Endless Space, but man…Distant Worlds has to have the most user-unfriendly user interface ever made, and a gameplay that matches. Now, the gameplay, once you get into it, may be a blast, I have no idea, because I have tried so many times without luck to understand what the draw is, and how to play it and have fun.

Endless Space has on the other hand, given me a lot of fun times, and yes, I find the UI very intuitive and working just perfectly for what I want to do with it.

Take it for what you want, but there it is.

Unfortunately you have to be a millionaire to be able to afford that game. $100 for the base game plus 3 expansions is a bit crazy.

I’ve come to realize I don’t hate the game itself (the game itself being at most a massive disappointment), I think I hate what the game represents. An uninspired, lazy, apparent cash-grab for space 4X fans hungry for experiences that has become another representation of a new wave of disappointing and incomplete space 4X games.

I have to jump on with the Endless Space supporters. While it has its faults, I enjoyed the time spent with it. The tech tree was nice and varied and actually had different approaches to take. The factions differed enough. I agree that the UI had some issues. It was attractive, but sometimes required too many clicks. The tooltips didn’t always provide a clear picture. I actually liked it more than SoaSE.

I’ll light a candle for you, lol

I really don’t hate the game ES at all. It’s just half-assed, with a couple of terrible design decisions that should never have been allowed to go out of alpha. The worst one – and there are others – is the fire-hose of fleets that AI empires generate when you’re at war. It’s just not fun to play the same battle over and over again, and even in the auto mode it takes too long to resolve them all.

Actually, yes, when it first came out, along with the first couple of expansions. It definitely gets credit for not following the typical formula, and I liked it quite a bit. Unfortunately, I have gaming ADD, and don’t stick with any one game for more than a few weeks, and very rarely go back to ones I played a lot of (a lot for me).

I haven’t been able to get into Distant Worlds yet. I’ve tried a few times but I find I’m bored after an hour or two into a game. I’m not sure what the appeal is.

The only thing I can think of is that is it very big and people like watching ships go about their business. I don’t like the hands off economy - I like to play a larger part in it.

New shots of the Wild Walkers faction:

No idea what to expect from the gameplay, but those shots are tasty.

Those screens look great, but didn’t this get turned into a MOBA? I am less enthused about yet another MOBA I will be awful at then something like an Endless Space, 4x style game with a strong single player component. Good thing Age of Wonders 3 is coming out, I suppose. It does look turn-based though…

I don’t recall seeing anything about it being a MOBA, but I have to say a turn-based MOBA sounds potentially interesting.

Damn sexy map, interest peaked!

That’s an interesting “painted miniatures” terrain thing going on, that’s for sure.

No. Don’t…don’t you say that. Don’t you say that!

It’s being marketed as “just” a 4X, but who knows what companies will do with their products before they actually release?

Sorry guys, someone bumping the Sins of a Dark Age thread made me remember that was the game that I thought sounded neat (based on Sins of a Solar Empire) and was then later disappointed to learn it was going to be a MOBA - not Endless Legend, which is likely all it appears to be (i.e. potentially fantastic). Carry on!

PCGamesN posted a preview today and I gotta say it has me interested. The factions sound thematically interesting, and as a fan of the Dominions series I like how they describe how the combat is going to work.

Of course I’m not entirely sold because expectations and implementation aren’t always the same blah blah blah, but I’ll be looking forward to seeing/reading some hands on stuff in the future.