Enter the Game Music Thunderdome

Portal and Xenoblade Chronicles X

Portal and Xenoblade Chronicles X for me too. Love that slide guitar!

I never really cared for “Still Alive” and couldn’t get past the 4th or 5th level of Portal, anyway.

Xenoblade Chronicles - "Cave Theme"
and
Zelda - A Link to the Past - "End Theme"

though tbh, I find Zelda a little boring, but figured I’d be strung up and tarred and feathered on this board if I didn’t vote for that *or * Portal in this round.

Portal and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

The tie-in was that you get to this final battle with a computer AI. It’s a she, she’s passive aggressive. So when you do actually beat her, she had this statement and song as an even further passive aggressive way to say you beat her.

I’m not even angry…
I’m being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart,
and killed me.

And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
As they burned it hurt because
I was so happy for you!

Now, these points of data
make a beautiful line.
And we’re out of beta.
We’re releasing on time!
So I’m GLaD I got burned!
Think of all the things we learned!
for the people who are
still alive.

It was brilliantly written from her perspective and just a sassy as the rest of the things she says and does to you in-game.

It’s basically the greatest game epilogue since Questron.

Yeah, trust me, I hang out with nerds most of the time. I’ve heard renditions of the “Stay Alive” song, battle, moment, etc. dozens of times over the years. And it’s definitely cute and more than a little clever. . . the first few times. Like a lot of comedy music, it kinda wears out its welcome for me after that, and now more than a decade on, I find it very tiresome.

Get some new references, Armando’s IRL Friends! Jeeze. It’s straight from “Still Alive” to “I attack the darkness!” with these people ;-)

No ‘more dots’?

I’m not even angry…
I’m being so sincere right now.

[FORMLESS SCREAMING]

Also, did your friends skip over the , “LIGHTNING BOLT!,” phase?

Lord no. Thankfully, my best friend here in NC owned and operated a LARP for a number of years in the northeast and currently owns and operates a LOT of knives, so most folks have managed to wean themselves off of that reference in her presence. . .

I do not get this reference!

So I’m definitely an outlier on this one, but Portal is my favorite and yes, Street Fighter IV is my second favorite! Why? It’s super memorable and it always sticks in my head. I spent a lot of hours listening to that song and I still enjoy it. It’s just too catchy!

Xenoblade Chronicles X is fine and The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past has great music, but I would not have chosen that as a favorite track from that game.

Well, since DaveLong broke the 0 vote streak, I’ll construct the most contrarian vote possible:
Street Fighter 4 and Xenoblade Chronicles X

Still Alive is undeniably great, but you’ll excuse me if I feel I never really have to hear it again. It was just so oversaturated at its peak that the well has kind of been poisoned for me.

The Zelda ending theme is a nice composition, but I feel like it’s let down by the hardware. Modern orchestral renditions are just much better.

Indestructible is a supremely dumb song, but its just the right kind of dumb for me. It’s lyrics are basically about Street Fighter, without actually using any proper nouns. It is weirdly catchy, and I was legit sad that they removed it from later versions of SF4. If I was actually trolling, I would have taken you for a ride.

Portal and Xenoblade

I probably wouldn’t either. The opening, or Hyrule Castle would be my picks, I think.

Still it is a good choice. There are several games here that we could waste our time debating which was the ‘best’ song from. Like FF VI, or Mario Galaxy to pick two random examples.

I guess everyone (even Nintendo) settled for what’s the best song in that one. ;)

Of course, your point still stands. Some games are an embarrassment of riches where it comes to good, memorable songs.

Yeah, I can imagine. Listening to Still Alive here just now is possibly the… third or fourth time I’ve ever heard it since finishing the game so I’m kind of grateful!

Hipster!

I just knew what that link was. Now we’re talking!

Gusty or GTFO ;-) Edit: oh snap @rhamorim, haha!

So I was surprised by the Xenoblade track, again. Really dug the slide guitar, acoustic sound and its slow groove.

I’ve not played many Zeldas, including A Link to The Past, but I got big Final Fantasy staff roll vibes from the ending music, which is fitting. I actually preferred the bittersweet melancholy of the second half though. I can only imagine how this would fire off the nostalgia had I played and completed it back in the day. It’s a lovely tune.

I honestly didn’t care at all for the SFIV song but I wonder if I’d played it more, like Marvel vs. Capcom 2, I’d have got the ‘Take You For A Ride’ effect where I came to love it despite (or because of?) the cheesecake?

Still Alive and… Xenoblade. It’s an underdog vote but it could have been Zelda.