Enter the Game Music Thunderdome

Except that Lamb of God is distressingly American ;-)

As the guy whose choices were all amiga things, I’d like to point out that they all got knocked out in the first round. I’m only marginally bitter about this.

Your fear of the Amiga block is misplaced! I’ll be shocked if it’s not Baba Yetu that wins.

@geggis If only we’d been more organised!

More crowds should get to play theremins!

Do people actually intentionally hurt each other during those things? I can’t imagine being that angry/crazy/fearless/manly/metal.

@HUMBY50 Haha, I know! I was really surprised to see them all get wiped, particularly Turrican 2. Depending on the theme of the next Thunderdome I intend on going full metal bleep bloop and I’m sure there’ll be some Amiga music in there.

TBH, I find really intense moshing/circle of death/tides of death type stuff really unappealing in a concert environment. While I totally get that metal is a really intense music that can be incredibly cathartic for people listening to it, I’m really there for the music, man.

Luckily, shit rarely gets that intense at most shows. But big festivals? Yeah, it can really pop off. And while most of the crowd are actually surprisingly caring and concerned, stopping to pick up anyone who falls and checking if they’re alright, there’s always a few drunk assholes or neonazi battlepunks who seem like they just want to fight. Usually security or the crowd takes care of them, but sometimes not, and that’s always a little scary :(

That was going to be my next question! I suppose if you’re in the midst of one of those metalstroms then the music becomes a sort of soundtrack to that catharsis.

The only time I’ve ever stepped into a moshing crowd was when I went to see Feeder in the late 90s/early 00s when I was around 17. It was like a kids nursery in comparison to the above, but even then it was difficult to just enjoy the music. I remember the swell of people and the smell of sweat and beer and body odour and people farting and… I just had to get out. Someone angrily knocked a couple of pints of beer over me and the venue was so hot it started to burn my face. I’m a sensitive soul. Great gig though! :-)

It can definitely be an overwhelming, incredibly intense experience. I find a lot of my introverted friends can only handle so much concert, for instance.

However, I really believe that some music almost must be experienced live, at least once. And not always because of that “groupwide catharsis” element, either. Blind Guardian’s “The Bard’s Song” is just. . . I’ve seen it three times live, and every single time, it sent chills through my spine, beginning to end, far beyond the song’s natural quality (which is, to be fair, pretty significant, in my eyes).

Speaking of Lamb of God, I never seen another human spit all over the stage as much as that lead singer. I can’t even imagine going on after that band. It was disgusting.

Wait! I think I’m confusing them with Children of Bodom! Sorry… one of those… damn… I’m getting old. I think it was Bodom.

…Bodom confirmed. Had to dig around setlists and shows. I love the Internet. 2004 at Trocadero.

So that’s the band from the Sacred 2 cutscene eh? ;-) Haha, that was my first exposure to Blind Guardian but I voted for them all the way!

Here’s a bit of bonus trivia for the Katamari theme from Yu Miyake the composer. I love this!

I often record melodies that I have in my head using my cellular phone or PC by humming. My workspace is not completely private, and my co-workers make fun of me if they hear me humming, so I always record my humming secretly. I decided to insert this humming in the title sequence of the test version of the game because I thought it would be funny and a bit kooky. It was just a joke at first, but then people started to like it, so I decided to keep it–and that’s why you hear some weirdo humming when you first load the game.

TBH, I’m not the biggest Lamb of God fan, but my best-concert-buddy Briony is a HUGE fan, so we see em whenever they come around. I’ve only seen Bodom once and don’t remember an extreme amount of spitting, but TBH, I don’t remember much of that night. I drove straight out 3 hours to make the show after an extra-long workday, was at the concert till 1AM, and then drove 3 hours back home fueled by METAL SPIRIT and Monster. . .

They’re literally my favorite band, full stop. When @CraigM’s post way upthread reminded me to check and discover that “Sacred” legit appeared during gameplay, I had to go with as my pick :)

That is absolutely delightful!

Dude.

Oh wow, so you didn’t know? That’s brilliant.

I saw 28 shows last year (about 2/3 - 3/4 metal). I do that kinda thing a lot :)

I never got far enough in the game proper to see the concert in-game, so I thought it was just an opening cinematic or something. But I did totally buy a copy to support BG :)

Don’t worry I’ll get the secretary to put in on the agenda for the next meeting of the secret society of amiga-philics. We won’t abide another loss!

BO - DOM! BO - DOM! BO - DOM!

I have nightmares man… Ripper came out with Iced Earth and I swear he was watching where he stepped all night.

I’m calling it now, Monty will be the surprise winner with Baba Yetu as the runner up.

Heh the band members are actual characters in the game; you do quests for them to recover some of their instruments, and the concert is part of the reward. Then you get to keep the instruments, which are actually weapons (if you look at the cutscene you can see how the guitars are actually axes etc).

It was all significantly cool. :)

I’ve been on one for the last year straight, it feels like. GosT’s new release is super intense but amazing.

Yeah, I think my favorites (Carpenter Brut, GosT, and Perturbator) are more on the intense/darkwave side of things, but I also enjoy more melodic things like Mega Drive and Lazerhawk and especially The Midnight. I’ve actually seen GosT live twice and Dance with the dead once! Those were really fun shows :-D

Streets of Rage 2 and Katamari Damacy advance.

Match 11:

• Portal
  • Monkey Island 2

0 voters

Match 12:

• C&C: Red Alert
  • Ys I & II Chronicles

0 voters

Haha, yeah exactly this for me too.

Oof, match 11.

So I voted Monkey Island 2.

Like a Mr. Potato Head, I could feel the hipster beard pushing itself out of my face as I clicked the button.

But seriously, I just love that tune so much more than the Portal song, despite Still Alive being so unexpected, smart, funny and catchy. I actually find the Monkey Island theme catchier but it’s just got this warm and whimsical laid back vibe that suits the game perfectly. I prefer the original theme from The Secret of Monkey Island, but I like the confident tonal shift with LeChuck’s Revenge. Edit: you know, I might be warming to the Monkey 2 theme more than the original now.

I thought it was going to be an easy vote for Hell March but Ys gave me serious pause. That was a tough choice but I think the industrial rhythm and march coupled with the atmospheric electronic section sealed the deal in the end.