Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

Welp tomorrow should be fun…

More follow up on this:

Wait, did he just cite Amazon as a company you want to emulate? That’s like the rebellion in star wars saying “We should emulate the Hutts more”

Anyway, I love the rest of this guys response, but I thought that was amusing.

But I love this particular response

Makes perfect sense to me. They don’t want to clutter up the store with low-profile indie games unless they’re exclusives.

That said, taking that stance while simultaneously talking up “multi-store choice” is a teensy bit disingenuous.

I see his point, though. From a consumer point of view–at least, from my consumer point of view–Amazon is great. Don’t like something? Return it, no hassle. Want it fast? Pretty much always get it fast. Want choice? Tons of products across tons of suppliers. Whatever shenanigans Amazon my get into at the macro level, from the worm’s eye view of schmucks buying stuff, they’re great.

I’m sure that Hutts had some great efficiencies as well. I mean, they were able to retain their independence during a lot of the conflicts after all.

Well, Amazon hasn’t locked me chains or fed me to whatever those creatures were that Luke had to fight.

Yet.

Maybe you were the Chosen One? Maybe you were supposed to destroy Amazon, not buy from them. Maybe you were supposed to bring balance to the free market economy, not leave it lead it in darkness?

I’d say teensy is a gross understatement.

/prepares popcorn

Yet another person encountering such a wonderful (not) experience with EGS:

`

So, I got bit by Epic Game Store. They locked out a payment method because I use it on "multiple accounts."

Yes, you dorks, it's called a family…

Seriously, WTF.

— Mark Kern (@Grummz) August 14, 2019

`

Better than credit card fraud though, ins’t it?

Let’s see, the same cc, which is a good standing account that has bought things for months, always coming from the same IP, I wonder if logic might be able to surmise this is not fraud? No, that would be too much work.

Who buys multiple games for the same household? I don’t understand that part. That’s like getting multiple Netflix accounts

People who want to play online with their family in the same game?

That sounds pretty far fetched, but I guess there are odd balls out their that do that kind of thing.

But then you need multiple computers and multiple set ups. Sounds expansive.

People who have kids who game?

Or do you think people still HotSeat/Split-screen everything?

Yes. That’s how you win Golden Eye.

It’s pretty common when your kid plays PC games and you play PC games, and you want to play something together. My son and I were playing Remnant last night!

Heh. The thing is, there are precious few benefits, in real terms, that a so-called free market alternative to the current Amazon dominance would bring. I mean, right now, I can get pretty much everything I want, from books to dog grooming stuff to food products through Amazon, and get it cheap, fast, and with zero risk. From a consumer point of view, there is precious little benefit to more competition, given that only a behemoth could offer that sort of performance.

The danger I guess is in the long term, when Amazon decides that, having crushed all other vendors, it can price gouge, but I really think that’s a remote possibility with mass market stuff. In niche markets, maybe (c.f. Apple), but with bulk stuff?