Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

This would be more believable if they’d stop smiling and jerking off when breaking the news.

I don’t really understand the impetus behind this decision. Yes the 88% split is great, but The Division 2 is a real GaaS title that they expect to be financed via microtransactions for the next ~2 years. Initial sales matter, but they should be balanced against ongoing revenue.

Without knowing how much Epic paid them up front, it’s impossible to assess the economics.

You think they’re paying off giant studios like Ubisoft and AAA titles like TD2? I would be surprised by that.

I would be very surprised if they’re not.

It’s giving money to their direct competitors, not an indie darling. I don’t see it.

Perhaps they’re guaranteeing minimum revenue from the store, I can see that. But not a direct payoff.

Epic’s direct competitors are whoever’s making a Battle Royale game, Unity, and Steam. But, sure, I’m not distinguishing between outright payment and guaranteed minimum revenue. It could well be the latter.

Ubisoft has been willing to experiment with how they sell games on the PC (e.g. just almost randomly varying how long a game would be exclusive to UPlay before being put for sale on Steam). My guess is they’re going as all-in as they can on the Epic store for the D2 launch just to see how well it works out. And if it doesn’t work well, they’ll start rolling it back bit by bit.

So, I decided to try out Epic with the Free Slim Rancher.

the problem is, it won’t download it.

All I have is this:

With no forums, or no place to ask, I’m left wondering wtf?

You’ll get heat on the Steam Forums so maybe:

http://forums.monomipark.com/

I have to confess, I still haven’t tried to download any of the free games, lol. I’m going to try now.

edit: no problems. Did you have a UAC prompt, Tman? Did it ask you in what folder to install?

Well, I had to download the game launcher and I did tell it where to download games to.

But download folder shows nothing & that “loading” is all I’m getting. Maybe I will try to reboot.

Do you have UAC activated in your computer? In mine, just after choosing the path, it asked confirmation for the installation.

Reboot fixed it. Downloading now.

Man, my first foray into this and I’m less than impressed.

Last time I ran the Epic Launcher I was shocked at how much a supposed PC game launcher looked like it was stuck in mobile phone view, with excessively gigantic everything and the minimal amount of useful information on each screen that it was possible to present and still be functioning.

I like how it’s not possible to shut down the client from client itself and I have to go rightclick on tray icon to do it. Among about a million other missing things.

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-point

Will the game be on Steam and GOG?

Yes!

Actually…

Do these devs not realize at all how scummy they come across as?
I get that it is a nice thing to get a huge bag of chinese money upfront for doing nothing other than ruining your reputation with customers who supported you in the first place, but jeez

What does it matter that it’s Chinese money? Wouldn’t it be the same if it was British money or Mauritanian money?

Does Mauritanian government engage in organ harvesting on mass scale?

Touche