Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

Do the Fig backers get a cut of what Epic gave the studio?

Ha. That’s an interesting question.

Are they at least offering the people who backed the game Epic keys instead of Steam keys? I’d be okay with that if I was at least still getting the game.

yes, and a year of free DLC

Not really. More like accurate. There have been hundreds of posts explaining in excrutiating detail why many people do not like these tactics by Epic. So maybe read those if you do not want to remain ignorant.

So you can only be ignorant if you disagree with all the people that hate epic. How dare others have other opinions.

Internet people are a’ gettin mad, y’all!

it’s what they do

Well, to be fair, writing that you’ll “never understand” something in a topic where hundreds of posts discuss that very thing, is a pretty low-effort contribution. Like, great. And?

I like when a company I support gets a big pile of money from a distribution channel. If they’re making money from both vendors and customers, then they don’t have to make all of it from people like me. I feel the same way about Kickstarters that get acquired or picked up by Netflix or whatever.

You can have your opinion. Just don’t be surprised when I call it ignorant, because it ignores the many reasons for why people have legitimate gripes.

Fair. I’ve read the thread, and I probably should have said nothing at all.

Would’ve been awesome if Snapshot Games got that giant pile of money from Epic in addition to early backer money and the project still honored its very basic backer promises too.

Actually thinking upon this further, they probably could have still offered early backers GOG or Steam keys then made all future sales Epic exclusive keys and avoided some measure of the backlash. Not perfect but better than what they did today.

I read all 1883 posts in depth just now and they prove beyond any reasonable argument that the Epic store is a source of benevolence and light, and anyone saying otherwise is just bein’ ignorant.

To be fair to Snapshot, their last big game, Chaos Reborn failed big time, though it’s still one of my favorites. It’s hard to say no to a big pile of cash when you’re in such an unstable industry.

Do we know if the Epic version will sell at a bit of a discount, which I think Metro did?

Just to be clear, Epic is guaranteeing minimum sales on their platform for a year, no matter how badly the game does. The amount of cash they’re throwing at Indies is often more than they’ve seen their entire lifetime. I don’t think any of us, if we were living the Indie life, would be able to say no.

By guaranteeing a year’s minimum sales, Epic effectively makes the devs not care what the customers think for that year. It doesn’t matter how much people protest – it’s meaningless, because the companies are no longer dependent on sales for a whole year. I’m sure Epic is telling the devs that by a year later, people will have forgotten about it, which is probably true.

They’re only guaranteeing a minimum number. That number is unlikely to actually make the dev and studio happy, if not substantially exceeded. It’s just to hedge against the Epic store substantially underperforming Steam in a worst case scenario type of deal.

It’s a sufficient minimum number to keep companies satisfied and complacent, and not firing anybody. I’m sure it’s not a low number.