EQ2 ugliness, nothing to share with the "Uncanny Valley"

They are already set high.

What you don’t seem to get is that there are some pieces of art that are crap. That piece of the pixelated chest texture is an example.

You can set it at whatever resolution you want and it still looks the same simply because it’s that bad.

I’m just bringing examples of how EQ2 art clashes together between some good pieces and some that are below amateurish.

Try setting them at highest.

First post. I reckon the argument is not that WoW’s realistic, but rather just more realisitic.

But really, I’m with you. Neither is perfect, obviously. I just took the opportunity to argue a stupidly fine point (read: troll the thread) and rail against the WoWgasm.

Here is my Room in EQ2 using the WoW engine

Here it is again using the EQ2 engine

For what its worth, the current EQ1 graphics look better than the EQ2 graphics, in my opinion.

That WoW shot above is just a flamebait. I highly doubt that anyone spends much time in the game at that angle and range to other characters.

Here’s my room rendered in the EQ2 engine:

Chris Woods

In just my own opinion, as what my brain tells me from an “art” perspective (I have no artistic training nor skill), the Dwarf from WoW “looks/feels” better than the Ogre from EQ2.

Further, the WoW art direction seems consistant whereas the EQ2 art direction seems to be a disconnect between the character art and the environment art. Then don’t match in my mind, and it makes me like the looks of WoW over EQ2.

Where do I download the Ranvarian’s Room Mod for both games?

I didn’t really want to compare the two games, actually.

My original purpose was to point out how the art and the animations in EQ2 have very sharp highs and lows.

The comparison with WoW is because this one is much more consistent with the style it chooses and the quality of the art in the game. You don’t see anything that seems out of place or clashing and the whole game looks like if it was made by just one artist.

What I think is that, instead, there are many parts in EQ2 that look plain bad. There is no need for a confrontation with this or that game. You can see every screenshot I posted and clearly figure out what’s wrong in each.

It’s not the “uncanny valley” the problem or THE WHOLE game would look odd. Instead there are only a few parts that look plain bad, while there are other parts that are quite impressive.

“Bad” or “rushed out” art doesn’t need fancy definitions or theories. It’s pretty much evident to anyone who isn’t completely biased just because arguing on a forum is fun.

Ah… my apologies. I guess it depends on how good you can gloss over the variance then. Doesn’t seem to bother me any. I can certainly see where folks would prefer games that were consistent (even if single instances were less spectacular) over varying with large highs and large lows. IMO WoW does a great job of bein consistent if, generally, a bit pedestrian. (At least until you get to some of the really spiffy set-piece mobs… Onyxia is, bar none, the best dragon I’ve seen in any computer game.)

Sorry, I didn’t mean it objectively looked better in the aesthetic sense, I meant in the technical modelling/texturing sense.

God knows WoW has some nasty ass visuals in places (like the Shaman set Shoulders, which I like to call “cable antennae”).

What, these?

Wow’s texturing is a lot more vibrant. Since the faces are “painted on” I think they do a better there too. The EQ2 engine has a lot of variability in facial parameters (which I like a lot, reminds me more of CoH in that way), but the flip side of this is that it’s far more difficult to paint ancillary features for something like that. You can’t just scale the texture, it’d look horrible. So they do nothing and leave it effectively flat shaded, giving WoW more “apparent depth”.

I actually like a lot of the EQ armor textures.

God knows WoW has some nasty ass visuals in places (like the Shaman set Shoulders, which I like to call “cable antennae”).

Which shaman set? The Tier 1 looks like mini volcanoes which, compared to some of the other stuff (coughDruid setscough) I’m rather fond of.

In general I think WoW has far better, more consistent design. I don’t get the same type of serendipitous moments of “Wow, that’s utterly beautiful” in WoW, but I don’t get the “WTF? That’s supposed to look like a deer?” bits either. I’m just a lot more tolerant of the variance I guess.

EQ2 has some stuff which makes me think their modellers and texture artists are as skilled as WoW. Just not across the board. (It’s really hard comparing textures though, EQ2’s hands are really tied by the attempted “realism” whereas the WoW folks can get a lot more creative.)

Yes, the WOW models all have a much lower poly count. And yet, they still look better–even from the bizarre angle from which you snapped that pic. I mean, I guess everyone has different tastes, but I’ll take the low detail, high quality art over the high detail, low quality art, any day of the week.

That EQ2 troll/orc/whatever it was that HRose posted really is embarrassing. If I was running the EQ2 fan art page and somebody sent that in I wouldn’t even post it, it’s so bad. And yet apparently good enough to wind up in their actual game as a key art element.

Pathetic.

The one that has small metal poles sticking out of them, with little metal moons on the end. They look suspiciously like they could pick up HBO.

Again, I didn’t take it. It was from a WoW fan page. I sorta regret trolling the thread, everyone. Sorry. I don’t play either game, but am fascinated by the level of antagonism between the two fanbases. I’m amazed that anyone thought this entire thread would be anything but flamebait.

In my personal opinion, the EQ2 HRose guy looks better than the WoW HRose Trapezoid Moustache Clan Dwarf, but that could be just my knee jerking.

Fair enough, but in terms of a whole comparison, I believe that EQ2 and WoW are actually good candidates for this.

Can we please stop arguing and agree that Guild Wars looks much better than EITHER game?

Here is my office using the Guild Wars engine…