Escape from Tarkov - Online first person action RPG

My frustration is that ever since I downloaded it, it’s been buggy as hell. Installer sometimes won’t recognize that the game is actually installed, and then it crashes with a irql_not_less_than BSOD half the times I run it.

That’s weird. I’ve never had any of those errors… have you tried re installing? installing on a seperate drive? running the graphics settings down?

I’ve totally removed the game and registry keys and reinstalled, with no luck. The problem stems from a Windows beta feature ESENT, which is tied up with drive caches and building system restore points apparently. The issue has been around for at least several years, and there is no universal cure that I know of. The events viewer shows a constant series of, not exactly faults, but failed calls or whatnot Once in a while those failed calls generate the less_than_or_equal_to error, flagging netio.sys.

I’ve tried a ton of obscure remedies, none of which work. It’s clearly not something that affects everyone equally. My log shows these sorts of things (minus crashes) going back to May, but only after installing Tarkov did I get crashes. I suspect there’s something in their back end, the way they communicate with either the drive or the server, that is interacting oddly with my system, as the crashes happen when transitioning to or from their server usually. On the web, speculate ranges from failing hardware to conflicting anti-virus software to specific brands of SSD or CPU, to, well, pretty much anything.

As it only has happened (so far) once in any other game, I think I may just leave Tarkov mostly alone until their next patch.

That’s unfortunate. The good news at least is the next patch is supposed to be focused entirely on fps improvements, loading improvements, crash fixes etc. It comes at the end of August. They also released a hotfix today that supposedly fixed one crashing problem, so I wonder if it is your specific one.

in any case, tarkov is going to be around for a while and it’s still definitely an early beta / alpha test IMO. Coming back later is totally fine, it gets pretty frequent patches and the devs really care it seems.

What happens if you run out of guns?

I never had that problem, since the times I do Get out alive I generally get guns for a couple more raids.

In case that does happen tho, there are cheap pistols you can use (or go melee) even. And there is always scav mode in which you use an AI from the map with random gear and get to keep his gear.

Reinstalled this to see what the state of the game was. Pretty impressed with the sophistication of what’s there, though as expected it’s still viciously difficult and unforgiving. You want cutthroat PvP, go to the Russians for it I guess!

I found that my character had been reset, which was fine as I had not gotten anywhere the first time. I went in as a scav a few times, downloaded some maps again, and tried a run as a PMC. Almost immediately got into a firefight with some scav, and though I killed him with a headshot he nailed my right leg and broke it. I didn’t have a splint, so there I am, hobbling through the dark night, trying to orient myself with the crappy map I bought (and without a compass I find the printed/web maps hard to orient to). I may have made it to an extraction point, but I was killed before I could get close enough.

So, I have a shotgun and a pistol still, and I’ll give it another go. My biggest problem is orienting where I am. I’m sure there are better ways of doing it than I’m doing.

There’s going to be a new wipe soon for patch .12, so you might want to wait unless you dont mind another reset. OTOH they do pre-wipe event with unlocked vendors and cheap stuff if you want to try gear. No ETA tho.

https://old.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/comments/cqphei/quick_status_update_on_012_3/

Oh, I don’t care about wipes. I’m so green that I’m still just mostly running scav to learn layouts and stuff. The game is so damn intense it freaks me out, really.

Also, you can try offline mode without scavs (or with) to get to know the maps and exit points.

My suggestion is to look up some maps online, and figure out where you are / where the exits are. you kinda need that basic knowledge to figure out wtf you should be doing and they are not going to tell you exactly where the extract, beyond the little title when you double tap o.

Customs is a quite weird layout so i highly suggest looking at the map and figuring out where you are at all times lol. You will be able to gather loot way better if you know where the boxes and hotspots and weapon chests are. You can easily enter a map like interchange and come out full of loot to sell. otherwise you will have a much harder time. also, don’t buy the maps in game they have no point anymore. you used to be able to use them to choose your spawn point, but for the moment they are just expensive flavour and not especially helpful.

My suggestion is to carry a splint, painkiller and AI-2 / salewa / IFAK (this is best) in your pouch. If you have standard edition, that means you have 1 slot leftover for loot and more as you use your meds. then if you die you don’t waste all your meds as if they were in your pockets.

Shotguns are not bad, especially the 153 because it is semi auto. just remember the buckshot is not going to be killing anyone with a faceshield or big body armor. if you run up against a really big kitted guy, fire a bunch at his legs and he should drop after 3-5 rounds (depending on distance). Pistols are near worthless, aim for the head, kill scavs get a better gun. Also, watch out, since we are nearing the end of this “wipe” as there is a rather huge patch coming in a couple weeks. It’s going to add prebuilt weapon loudouts, the new hideout, VOIP, new trader, new map, 2 new bosses, and the new unity 2018 engine

All good advice, thanks! I have a hard time matching up what I see in game to what’s on the map. Without a compass, or some way of locating myself precisely, my orienteering skills are pretty weak. Combined with night and how a lot of the zone looks the same, to me at least, I tend to flounder about a lot!

here is customs:

factory: (this is the smallest map, it has a maximum of 6 player characters spawn in. go in offline mode and figure out where everything is, this one shouldn’t take long. I usually do scav runs here and grab shotguns and extract asap lol, easy money and loot)

interchange: full of loot, literally everywhere, you have to figure out how to navigate it and then it becomes absolutely amazing. this map is super helpful. figure out how to orient yourself in the stores and move along the backroutes to avoid high traffic areas

shoreline: resort is where the best loot is but you need keys.

Again, thank you a bunch! I have some maps, but these seem better than what I’ve found, and I appreciate your comments.

There is a rather massive update coming for tarkov (possibly tommorow, sometime soon). There has not been a proper content patch since last Christmas, so this one is the largest patch the game has ever seen. If there was ever a time to come back and check the gsme out, this will be it.

There is a new map, military base, along with a new scav boss. The hideout has been added, which is sort of like a little base you upgrade over time that has various crafting and buff mechanics etc. There is a new scav boss on woods. The game has been updated to a brand new version of unity which (should) improve performance I hope? New third person animations, 5 new guns, and a new trader. It’s essentially going to turn the game absolutely on its head.

Here is the new trailer

And here is the patchnotes

Very exciting.

I go back to this every few months, so this is a good time to check it out again. It’s still the only game that actually scares me. Something about the tension, even when, really, there’s nothing valuable at stake, that really gives me the shivers.

The last content patch was in December of last year, so the games essentially been the same since then. Since this is a wipe, every player will have their account reset back to the beginning. That’s another reason it’s a fun time to play, it’s kinda like playing tarkov how it was intended to be played. Once you get to the end of the wipe (like now) it’s mostly just shooting for fun and practice

I think you meant to say getting shot at for fun.

Yes that is true. Although I have to say, we’ve been crushing this all traders unlocked event haha. It’s actually a wonder how good you can do once the gear fear is gone and you go in kitted to the teeth every raid hahaha.

Still only have a 40% survival rate

I havent played in a while but i think im in the low 30% in survival rate. I tried playing a few months ago but everyone is fully geared with AP rounds and my crappy level 3 and 4 armors cant stand that. For some reason my raids as a scav tend to go waaaaay better than my PMC.

Also after this patch you are going to have to heal at your base after every raid, not sure if thats going to be fun or not. Well see.