Escape from Tarkov - Online first person action RPG

its not that hard. there is only a few good bullets really.

.556: m995 is the best and super expensive as of writing. highest pen. m855a1 is second most pen, then m856a1. everything else is worthless and horrible.

5.45x39: Igolnik / BS ammo is the best in slot, with BT and BP being the second choice. Everything else is so weak that its unusable and I don’t reccomend ever using it.

7.62x39: BP is best, followed by PS. not worth using anything else

7.62x54R (mosin ammo): 7n1 can one tap to the chest on level 4 and below armor, SNB can pen higher but lacks the one shot kill potential

7.62x51: M80 is pretty good because its got 80 flesh damage exactly (one tap to unarmored chest) but kinda low pen, so it won’t kill players in one hit if they have class 4 or above armor. M61 is the high class, high pen round. m62 is middle. everything else is bad.

9mm: ap rounds are going to be the only good rounds and even they arent great at this late of the wipe but still. If you don’t want to pay that, go for pso gzh or pst gzh

here is a simple refrence that should be updated for the current patch:

and here is the long form so you can see the bullets:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Pp8tKScb0jB66cOCJSAlNn-iKERMXd9FVkSmSq83qn8/htmlview?sle=true

Yeah im using the exact same charts, what i mean is, i still have to check the charts because i cant remember which bullets is what and if it was M80 that one that one taps or if it was M61. Just hard to remember all this stuff.

Also the servers are getting hammered so hard with the influx of new players getting disconnects a lot.

ye servers SUCK right now with the drops. it will fix up soon.

My friend just unlocked the Kappa container. We did have to help him cheese with a few of the quests (we gave him 4 grenade kills for that quest and we also cheesed the "kill 3 players in one woods raid with mosin because CHRIST it’s painful). He did everything else legit though, including Shooter Born in Heaven.

Nice! I don’t ever expect to ever reach that quest, the jaeger missions are already giving me nightmares and it took me forever to get the epsilon even after rushing the punisher quests.

Servers been better for everyone else the last few days?

I’ve watched JM play a ton of this – it is pretty nice.

Somehow prefer watching the bricks being laid and the logs getting split.

Call me old fashioned.

they have been adding a LOT of new servers. the dev explained that they were expecting a small, niche audience for the game, maybe 20-30k average players. but they’ve been getting up in the hundreds of thousands simultaneously regularly now…

i miss the times of literally 0 matching times lol. these devs work their asses off and are more open then most about the dev process so id trust them to fix it. might take a few weeks to get more reliable stability

Well, it’s a lot better than 2 weeks ago already. 20-30 minute queues were not optimum hah

I gave up last week when it was taking me around 8-10 minutes to get into matches. I really love the game, but until they get the servers sorted out it’s pretty unplayable. Think I’ll give it a shot tonight and see how it is.

you guys have all the servers selected manually right? that helps me get into games way faster… also, you can try checking a single server that will be dead at that time of day (eg: miami in the middle of the night, i can sometimes connect to seoul, maybe some european servers. Phoenix is dead sometimes)

I’ve gone back and forth on it. It has been decent on auto lately

I played a bit today and it was MUCH better. About 2 minutes to get into my scav runs.

Here to report you can now play Tarkov… in single player.

I haven’t tried it, but there’s a mod with full offline progression, not just the default play with bots. It’s the WHOLE game in single player, including friendly bots to play in a group. There are also mods to tweak the whole thing and json files to tweak to configure everything.

To use the latest live version there’s a beta of the single player files, or there are patches to roll back the online version to a more “stable” offline version.

https://www.sp-tarkov.com/
https://mods.sp-tarkov.com/files/

Huh. Haven’t loaded this up in ages. Seems like an interesting development, at least.

@Jason_McMaster plays this all the time, I don’t even know if his PC can play other games. ;)

Unfortunate story of the day… And Windows 10 hell.

I decided to give this a try, but in the meantime I became aware of the existence of more than one of these “local” servers mod. In particular I read about this “Altered Escape” that runs on a slightly older version of the game, but that is supposed to have a much better AI to make the game satisfying.

…Here things get a little troublesome, because this goes one step past the gray area. One of the differences between the mod I linked above, and Altered Escape / JustEmuTarkov, is that this latter codebase gives you direct installers with the game files. So it’s basically piracy. There are no other requirements, so anyone can grab these files and play the game, and they even, if you want, simulate the online server, so I think this even overlaps with the “real” Tarkov in the same way there are private servers for WoW.

In any case, despite I’ve almost never played it, I bought a legit copy almost four years ago, as you can see up this thread, so I decided to try this Altered Escape.

The installation is simple enough. You have the client files to unpack, then a patch to overwrite these client files, and then a separate folder for the local server. Then you just run a launcher to set up a local account and run the game.

…But it didn’t work. The launcher fails to run and gives me a huge exception error. Apparently almost no one has this kind of error. The launcher is written in C# so maybe it’s some screw up with a library or something, but it’s a really weird problem.

While trying to fix this I tried creating a new Windows account, because maybe there was a problem with the user name. I just have one admin account on Win 10, locked to a Microsoft profile. In the preferences panel under the user section there was a button that says “use a local account” or something like that. So I did… and it ended in disaster.

Pressing that button made Windows create a local copy of the admin account I was using, and it started asking a password on log-in if I tried to log with my old one. So I tried to revert this problem, but there was NO WAY TO GO BACK. Windows locked me in this new local user account, made it default, and only offered the option to delete the OTHER account where I have all my files.

I won’t write down everything I tried because I spent more than 5 hours on this. There are FIVE different pages/UIs in Win 10 where you deal with users. None of these allowed me to reset the account, or delete the new profiles. At some point I made a backup of my files and manually deleted all the new Users Windows created, rebooted, and it was like I installed the OS for the first time. But my user files were still there, but appearing as “unknown user” with no way to link them back.

Basically, the moment I pressed the button to use a local account, Windows locked me of my usual user account. With no way back because it makes this new one the default, only letting you remove the first, and make a complete mess.

The last attempt was to roll back Windows to a restore point. Thankfully this seems to have worked, mostly… It started me once again to ask a password on log in. This again required me to spend another hour to find a solution. I eventually did, but it then it installed an update and started asking the password again… Sometimes at log in screen it shows me two identical accounts, but from inside Windows there is no trace of a second one.

The roll back also seems to have created some problems, for example now Chrome refuses to start…

So, it didn’t go exactly well. But I also realized that on the Altered Escape they have a new version client files that are only used for a server version available on Patreon. But since I only have problems with the launcher I tried that, and it has a different launcher, and this one also let me download and use the older client and server… And so now it works.

But I didn’t have any time to test. The only thing I noticed is that this version comes with a mod that makes all objects already inspected. That’s all (but I asked, and it can be removed).

Tarkov developers aren’t exactly pleased with this all, and even think some of the game data like the value of certain types of bullets need to be secret. So not only they are grumpy with these emulators, but I’ve read they send DMCAs to youtubers who dare show these mods… FYI.

(I hate Windows.)

For the fun of it… These are the two giant errors I got when trying to click on the launcher:

dwfwef

You know how it was fixed?

…By going in the advanced options of the monitor color profile and change the default predefined value to a sRGB IEC61966-2.1 different option.

Click again, now it works.

Windows is not technology, it’s metaphysics.

These mods are most likely against Tos. use at your own risk.