Essential Oils And Other Holistic Bullshit

Here’s an analysis on nearly 130 studies on the anti-cancerous effects of essential oils and various constituents of essential oils–the results of which demonstrate cell cycle arrest, tumor reduction, tumor growth reduction, antiangiogenesis, etc. Btw, many of these studies are in vivo:

In case any of you are jumping to conclusions about what I’m implying, I’m not implying that anyone should try these methods in their cancer treatment without consulting a professional. I’m making the point that there is a lot of promising research, plenty of which isn’t just in a petri dish. Whether or not essential oils will ever be a primary method for the treatment for certain types of cancer, these studies demonstrate a legitimate potential for use of essential oils in combination cancer therapies and in cases when the cancer rejects other methods of treatment.

Man, this got deep and combative.

Unfortunately, my wife is a fan of Young Living and essential oils. She limits it’s use to cooking (having lemon, basil and oregano as an oil is kind of cool) and making her own cleaning products and of course diffusing it everywhere when anyone is sick. Thankful, her family works in a doctor’s officer, so none of it is replacing real medicine but she loves to use it when our toddler is having a rough night (nightmares) or she is stressed. So far, I believe it is all a placebo effect, but it seems to have a positive impact on the toddler.
Anyway, it’s expansive, so she doesn’t buy it often, and I figure it’s no worse then money spent on perfumes and the like. Hell, ‘stress away’ may actually be having an impact.

You say “real medicine” to imply essential oils don’t have any medicinal purposes when numerous studies demonstrate that they do.

I should be more explicit. Oils are not medicine. Unless you count bleach as medicine. Do you count bleach as medicine, @My_Username? I mean, both will kill bacteria.

Killing bacteria isn’t the only qualification required. Another important question: is it safe? Bleach is not safe on the skin. Tea tree oil, however, is safe on the skin with a carrier oil (though this is a precaution for people with sensitive skin. I’ve never had an oil irritate my skin except when using a cheap bottle of oil) and will cure athlete’s foot. Does bleach cause tumors to shrink? No, it doesn’t. Various essential oils do. Does bleach treat a headache with the same efficacy as acetaminophen? Nope, but peppermint essential oil does. Does bleach induce cell repair? Nope. Various essential oils do. Would bleach kill a UTI? Possibly. Would it be safe to drink at that hypothetically necessary amount? No. Essential oils will safely do the job though.

If you’re going to make a comparison like that then make a valid one.

This thread is like that room at the party where you wished you hadn’t even opened the door.

-Tom

My two year old does this too, it’s hilarious. The other day though he was playing Angry Birds on my old IPad 1 (still kickin’!) and I could hear him getting frustrated. He came into the room all mopey and proclaimed sadly:

"The piggies won… " :(

Jpinard, that’s quite a claim these essential oils kill people. Quite a personal attack too. Have anything to back up that outrageous claim?

Meh, you’re saying that for effect. Because here you are, commenting. And you’ve talked about your cancer, but 130 studies on various essential oils effectively shrinking tumors is so uninteresting, right?

Haha! I read it as “he thought he was playing”, and was picturing him flinging birds against piggies on a turned off ipad!

@jpinard is dead set on pointing the finger despite having no valid argument. There are times people have gone to someone for cancer treatment other than an MD and some holistic regimen didn’t kill the cancer and the person died. This doesn’t always prove it was the treatment’s fault, however, since the mainstream treatment could have failed as well. Also, of course oils don’t kill people, just them being used improperly. For instance, drinking a 15ml bottle of wintergreen will probably kill you, but so would drinking a bottle of e juice. When it comes to illness, people are in charge of their on health. I can say personally that I wouldn’t opt for chemotherapy. I would just as soon not go through the misery, maybe because I’m not particularly afraid of death. Would I try some alternative method? Maybe out of curiosity. These other people probably understand very well that chemo might give them a chance, but they might just not want to go through it, and that’s okay.

But if someone convinces a “patient” that using frankincense is a better, and more thoroughly tested cancer treatment than chemo, radiation, etc. and the person opts for oils then the “doctor” did that person a disservice and deserves legal reprocussion, imo.

It’s fascinating, and I’m glad there are people researching this stuff. But until it’s proven to actually work, well, there’s really no point in getting one’s hopes up when you have a terminal condition. Sure, there’s in vivo tests. In what though, mice and rats? Dogs? Chimpan-a’s to chimpan-'zs? But for athlete’s foot? I can rub some EO’s on it. Not going to hurt anything, and it may help.

It’s absolutely awesome that thyme has been found to have anti-MDR properties against ovarian cancer cell lines. But what various people and companies are doing are selling that info on thyme oil to claim to cure ovarian cancer. It’s bullshit, because it doesn’t. Do you drink the thyme oil? Squirt it up the hooha? How much do you use, and how often?

They’re peddling false hope, which is what angers most people. Taking advantage of their grasping at straws for a cure, any cure, no matter how ludicrous. And separating them from their money. Perhaps even discouraging them from seeking real medical treatment.

That sounds like medicine in the United States. People pay double, triple, quadruple, or more for medicine and surgery here than in many other countries. The many people who use their oils for bacterial and fungal infections, scar treatment, and even tumors and find success might see the medical establishment as the scam. They save a lot of money and are grateful for it. In some cases, they can afford the doctor’s visits and treatment options and might die without them. With the millions of testimonials aside, the research that has been done clearly demonstrates uses for these oils. So to pretend, like @jpinard, that most people selling oils are scammers is foolish. As I’ve said before, people who are distributors buy them for personal use and get into selling them because they find them useful. Nobody likes selling a product they don’t believe in. There’s no reason for a few bad seeds to overshadow the substantial benefits of numerous essential oils.

Common ground!
I can verify this, since I use a shampoo that contains tea tree oil, as over the years, I’ve found it to be the only shampoo that took care of my itchy scalp once and for all. I did not have dandruff, however I suffered with a very itchy scalp for many years until my hair cutting lady used this on me during a haircut, and the relief was instant. This was maybe 10 years ago, and I’ve been a big fan of tea tree oil ever since, and have used nothing but that brand of shampoo ever since.

Yeah, I’ve used it to cure dandruff. The claim is that it’s caused by bacteria that the tea tree oil kills.

I didn’t have dandruff. My hair cutting lady thought that it was because my hair was getting thin, and because my job requires me to be out in the sun a lot, she thought my scalp was continually getting a bit burned. Well, whatever the cause and effect, the damn stuff worked, and continues to do so.

Wow, the OP makes a return. If you need a recap, hundreds of studies debunk your claims that essential oils are “complete bunk.” Choose your claims wisely, people are easily steered by nonsense.

Hey did you just crib that from the doTERRA handbook?

http://i.imgur.com/Mfx64dh.png

http://i.imgur.com/yGEdiTr.png

http://i.imgur.com/Z8IoogJ.png

http://i.imgur.com/Ne86glU.png

http://i.imgur.com/tir3rPt.png

http://i.imgur.com/Ik3zxXH.png

Dropping a bunch of Facebook comments doesn’t do anything for your case. You were scientifically wrong when you said essential oils are “complete bunk.” Do some real research rather than trying to sound like a smart skeptic.