Essential Oils And Other Holistic Bullshit

Interesting article one of the readers quoted.

Wait, how do you find mice allergic to peanuts?

There’s a large industry on breeding mice with whatever particular ailment you are looking for. Clearly allergy doesn’t have to go as far as “touching a peanut kills the mouse” so testing is as simple as a very minor exposure followed by looking for a reaction.

Also genetic modification, apparently:

Find millenial mice.

The trick is usually that unless the genetics are simple, you may be inducing a phenotype with a different model than humans, so the result may not be applicable to humans in the end.

A saying I once heard “If it was our job to cure mice of disease, we’d already have solved most of mankind’s medical problems.” NPR covers this well:

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/04/10/522775456/drugs-that-work-in-mice-often-fail-when-tried-in-people

This is one of the reasons that work done with induced pluripotent stem cells is so exciting - we’re using human cells and biology to model disease in humans - so while vat-grown you may not be exactly the same, it’s not millions of years of evolution different.

Was this college located “upstate”. Bad news friend…

99% the latter.

Cohen went into her treatment room and came back with a small vial labelled “Clarity.” She put a few drops in my left palm. “This is good for getting your mind clear,” she said. “Rub it clockwise three times. That activates the electrical properties in the oil, and aligns your DNA.”

Please stop.

I shouldn’t read stuff like that. It makes me furiously angry.

Now, now. Just put this calming lavender oil in your socks and lie down, facing northward.

It’s a scienticiously proven remedy!

It’ll optimizate your prions, which forces out your toxins!

Young Living divides its sales force into a complex hierarchy stratified partly by sales volume, ranging from Distributor (the lowest level, comprising ninety-four per cent of members) to Royal Crown Diamond (less than one-tenth of one per cent).

Sure enough, they’ve got “diamonds” and “double diamonds” just like every other pyramid scheme. It goes back at least to Amway. The Freemasons like to claim they date back from the time of Solomon. I’m more inclined to believe that there’s an unbroken chain of pyramid schemes going back thousands of years still practicing the same rituals. Every time one of the leaders gets pissed off and forms a splinter group they copy exactly what they’ve learned.

The product is not really what motivates these people. I used to work at a place that was rented by a couple of pyramid schemes. I would work two 12-hour shifts during their weekend rallies, so I heard a lot about being rich, being a successful person, and being one of the elite who know the secrets that common folks don’t. But I never did hear what product they were actually selling. If those people went home with essential oils or herbal supplements or whatever, it was only a bonus to getting their psychological needs met by their bizarre rituals.

That’s pretty much on the nose. I am fond of some of the oils that Young Living sells, and my wife seems much less anxious after starting with it, but the market side freaks me out.

The sad thing is, with the way our medical system works, good science on this is hard to come by. You can’t patent an oil, so you can’t make enough money on it to go through all the trials that are necessary.
I find the multi level marketing creepy. I find the use of buzz terms upsetting. I find the lack of regulation and science awful.
On the other hand, I like using less Windex and bleach. I like that we use fewer cleaning agents that promise to kill 99% of everything or bug sprays. I actually like the smells of some of them, and my wife doesn’t get a headache as she does with candles. I like that it seems to impact my childrens sleep in a positive way.

I wish there was more good information about what is crap and what isn’t.
That all being said, when a child is sick, we go into the medicine drawer and pull out medicine and consult our doctor (if it is serious).

I align my DNA all the time. I use BWA and STAR. I wonder what they are using…

My wife didn’t understand some of the claims that were made and feels that those people might lose there status as distributors. Young Living these days is pretty strict about what claims you can make. Much like doTerra, Living Social is moving away from the mysticism stuff, at least the business side is. The owner is still crazy.

I did notice that very few people make money of Living Social (something like 94% of distributors don’t make money). This is mostly because becoming a distributor gives you a discount with no obligation outside of buying the starter kit, so there are a lot of distributors that only buy for themselves.

“Scientists know that they don’t know everything. Because if they didn’t, they’d stop.”

Brilliant.

This is gonna be good