Euro Truck Simulator 2: Slow Ride

Booyah!

A few minutes later…

Realistic damage modeling would put this game over the top for me, but after playing the demo for about 1 minute (had to go to work) it’s already put itself into the must-buy category. Maybe the next iteration will bring it on.

Realistic damage modeling would put this game over the top for me, but after playing the demo for about 1 minute (had to go to work) it’s already put itself into the must-buy category. Maybe the next iteration will bring it on.

To be fair, if you’re getting damaged to the extent where realistic modelling would be an issue, you’re doing it wrong. Repairs get seriously expensive in this game.

Boring screenshot I know, but what you can’t see is that it’s my first job (since the demo), delivering cement from Sheffield to Newcastle, listening to Manchester Radio - Rolling Stones, Van Halen and Def Leppard - oh yeah, Armageddon It, baby!

I can see my G25 on the other side of the room and I think I know where my TrackIR is…this game is so going to make me plug them in.

Don’t forget the shifter.

So has anyone done something like this as a highway car-driving sim through Europe (with real physics, not arcade-y crap)? I know that the business sim/rpg aspects would fall away, and perhaps that would make it less interesting for some, but I think it would be pretty cool, especially if you had to dodge traffic and cops.

I think the closest thing we got is, for better or worse (worse), Test Drive Unlimited 2 and Ibiza.

I’ve wanted that game you describe for a long time.

Microsoft should’ve hired this team to head the MS Flight reboot. They understand how to make an addictive game out of a boring simulator.

Dammit. This is worst than Mount & Blade. I got this Friday and am up to 24 hours played. I’m level 13 and trying to figure out where to build my 2nd garage. Berlin? Rotterdam? Paris?

24 hours man?! Sheeeeeeeeeit, I’m only up to 6 or 7, but that’s a lot with my non-existent attention span. ;-)

10 Hours in after 2 days. Level 6 I think. G25 and Track-IR have been set up and tweaked - h-shifter and clutch in full use. With a nice wheel and Track-IR this game comes alive! I’ll even hitch a trailer without leaving the cabin view, although reversing with a trailer is still too daunting. Reversing with a wheel is (naturally) soooo much easier than a controller.

I caved and bought this–I’ve done about 7 jobs so far and only crashed during 1 of them, although one other time I missed the fact that the lane I was in was exit-only, and changed into the other one at the last minute and clipped the guard rail (oops). Another time I failed to turn on lights when going into a tunnel and got dinged for it.

Is there a way to assign some oft-used functions (lights, turn signals, windshield wipers) to the controller?

Now I need a G27 don’t I?

Yup. You can assign the controller buttons as the secondary button in the keyboard controls option menu. If you enable the controller, the RB and LB buttons default to the turn signals.

I use the following:

A - Horn, because I like to toot toot when I pass cars. Put’em against the glass!
B - Wipers.
X - Lights.
Y - GPS zoom.
RB - Right turn signal.
LB - Left turn signal.
RT - Gas.
LT - Brake.

Cruise control is handy to map to a button (I use the D-pad for a lot of stuff as well), especially for city driving where you need to keep under the limit.

I rear ended a car at a stoplight as I braked a bit late with a heavy load. The car sat there so I put it into reverse - bam, another $6500 violation.

I made my HQ in Stuttgart so I’m tooling around Bavaria mostly. Level 5 right now but trying to buy a rig outright instead of taking a loan.

I can’t drive backwards AT ALL with a keyboard. I’m also driving with full automatic. I need to train on “full real” before I move to the next level in my own truck. But the keyboard is so inaccurate I’m afraid to try without a better controller.

Seriously:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wired-Controller-Black/dp/B003ZSN600/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367254402&sr=8-1&keywords=wired+360+controller

One of the best investments you’ll make.

Other than a wireless one with a PC dongle.

Man, I should just get a 360 controller. :/