EVE Online character questions

Yeah, so long as the corp CEO has the right skill (I’m pretty sure ours does…)

As Nuts says yes, they aren’t really different factions, more different nationalities. You encounter national dislikes from NPCs. but whether players conform to those is pretty much up to them. If you want to strictly roleplay, Amarr and Minmater would generally dislike each other, as would Gallente and Caldari, but there’s no actual war going on in the backstory yet.

In case people are still rolling up new characters, I should mention that willpower isn’t as important for combat characters as it seems. It’s usually a secondary requirement on skills (I think for almost everything except really advanced spaceship command skills) so most people generally rank it the second-least-important skill behind Charisma. Even a combat character is going to get mileage out of Intelligence (generally considered 2nd most important attribute) and Memory (generally considered 3rd) with all the Learning, Navigation, Engineering, Electronics, Drone, and Mechanic skills that need to be trained up.

Well, I don’t have the Moa yet, but I’m going to be acquiring it soon. Heavy missiles, long range rails, and maybe a couple blasters for anyone who comes in close. But I’ve been using rails with my Merlin and a lot of ships are paste before they even get in to weapons range, and I’m a friggin close range fighter.

Basically, my varied skills are going to give my Moa enough power to support two heavy missile batteries, before going to medium rails. We’ll see how it works out. If it doesn’t, I’ll trade in, or just buy another ship.

Ok, what’s happenned since I’ve been gone?

My Dominix somehow had its drone bay size halved (or its heavy drones got twice as big) - I can now only control 5 heavy drones, as opposed to the 12 (or was it 8? I can’t remember, but it was quite a few more than 5. I think it was 12.) or so I used to be able to do… They nerf me heavily?

Nah, along with halving drone bays, they doubled the damage and increased hit points of drones so it works out about the same if you have Drone Interfacing trained up to 5. Maybe a bit of a nerf if you don’t. But they also improved drone AI a bit and added in 4 or so new drone types (EW, sentry, repair, one more (?) ) so that helps.

Hmm, I’ll have to read up on that, I’m all old school with my drones, basically just have a bay full of Praetors and Berserkers.

May I just say this is the greatest MMO ever :D

It certainly is close, if not. But it’s definitely second gen – and that is something to be appreciated.

Yeah, they made a few changes as drones were causing a lot of lag.

I’m curious - how come all you guys are suddenly playing EVE anyway? It’s not like it hasnt been out since 2003…

People seemed to be doing nothing but complaining about how boring the game was in 2003. Apparently they’ve improved it a whole lot.

I avoided it initially because all I heard was “boring, nothing to do but mine and get ganked”.

I started playing because I have a friend playing, and the ease of free trials right now makes it really easy to hop in to and try out. And the lack of requiring a 50$ up front charge to switch to a full account is nice too. Oh, and digital distribution.

That, and it’s actually a really fantastic game.

Yeah know shit. I remember asking about Eve last year and I barely got any replies at all. Now all you bitches are into it. Hmmph.

Its the flavor of the month.

Yep same here, I grabbed a trial account from the PA ads way back and loved the game.

…there’s that, but there are other reasons too.

I think a few people are in a similar situation to me. When the game came out we were very interested in it, but the issues with content and seemingly directionless play (not much high end game) really put us off. I remember playing in 2003 when I was working at Codemasters and testing the competition for Dragon Empires (RIP) and really finding the game obtuse and quite dry.

That being said, I was always keen on the idea of it and so, in the back of my mind, I decided to keep a vague eye on the thing to see if it was going to get any better, and to play it when it did.

Now with free trials abound I decided to try again, and the excellent tutorial and the harsh PVP and corp v corp warfare I think this might just suit me. While I enjoyed WOW, the PvP is largely pointless. You’re not really fighting -for- anything (the problem of shipping PvP off to seperate zones).

In EVE you seemingly fight to win and punish the other side, but also to control resources and access, to be strong in other words. This is a game of winners and losers, rather than a game where everyone is a winner…

If that makes sense.

And the music is great!

If anyone can drop me a line for the Qt3 channel in the game, or want to help out a clueless newbie, my new main character is my Amarr Khanid, Batu Khan. The whole Mongols-in-space plus cool-looking ship design swayed me to change my main from my Caldari to my Amarr.

The thing that first got me interested in EVE was when Nutsak linked me to that chart of the size comparisons of ships. My mouth dropped. I was stunned at the scale. And then, once I’d gotten in and played the game, fully expecting to dislike it, I realized… this was exactly the MMO I’d been looking for. I like mmo games, but at this point, having played virtually every mmo that’s ever existed, I am SO VERY SICK of the standard design. EVE feels like an MMO without training wheels, and without chains. You’re not bound, hand and foot, into a specific path from beginning to end. Hell, there really isn’t an end. You’re free.

You can do whatever you want without it preventing you from advancing. If you want to trade, fine, if you want to mine, fine, if you want to fight, fine, if you want to pirate, fine, if you want to hunt pirates, fine, if you want to sit around and talk, fine, and you’re still learning your skills at the same pace the whole time. And even more than that, it gives you the freedom to make your character whoever you want him to be. There are players who started corporations that now control vast swaths of space, as the heads of alliances. They run player-owned and built space stations, stations that make them the legal owners of their own territories. They build massive capital ships, and run huge fleets, and affect the course of the entire game.

And with this upcoming ‘Kali’ expansion, CCP has made it clear that this is exactly what they’re after: a MMO that is under the control of the players, instead of the developers. The players are the ones who will decide the shape and course of the in-game universe, and I think that’s incredible.

After years and years of having MMO developers and publishers say to us, in effect, “No! This is ours! Don’t touch it! Bad players! Go do what we told you to do, and shut up,” it feels like I’ve finally found an MMO where the developers have, instead, said “Here’s the universe. Go make it yours.”

That’s awfully liberating.

I’d like to see that if you can dig it up.

EDIT: I think I found it. Is it this?