Ever get an urge to finally play a game that came out a long time ago?

Wow, I think you are winning so far.

It’s actually an astonishingly easy game to play through a second time. After a certain point, which isn’t too hard to reach if you know what you’re doing, battles aren’t anything more than speedbumps. Then the only challenge is mapping and solving the riddles, which is trivial if you’ve completed the game before. The only challenge remaining to me is to get an archmage to the level at which he can cast Brothers Kringle (which is really just tedious rather than difficult,) and then go stomp the rest of the game into the ground.

I do think it’s interesting that, while in most fantasy rpgs, melee types are usually less useful but still necessary later on in the game, Bard’s Tale renders them entirely superfluous, because they’re so inferior to summoned monsters. You do need a bard, though.

I beat Pong yesterday.

“What is rope, Alex.”

Man, I hear you. I got the itch a while ago and got my original FFT disc running in emulation. That’s one of the few PS1 games I get nostalgic for. That and Twisted Metal 2.

Other older games I’ve revisited recently include Syndicate, Half Life and Shogo, and I keep meaning to get back to Myth 1 & 2 and Icewind Dale 2.

I actually tried to play through Bards Tale 1 again a few years ago on an Amiga emulator. By using an emulator, you get to save anywhere instead of just at the adventurers guild, which is a pretty awesome improvement. However, it didn’t hold my interest long enough to get past the first dungeon.

I don’t know if this counts but I finally completed the Baldur’s gate series a couple of months ago. Only took me about 5 years to get around to that. I guess now I should finally finish the hero’s quest games.

Does anyone know if you can change the resolution in Planescape like in TuTu? The playing in the default is like talking to somebody with their face six inches away from yours.

No unfortunately :{ It’s one of those games where you’re better off playing it on a small monitor.

http://www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen/ may work for that. I can’t report on it myself - beat Planescape long ago, am unlikely to replay it while I’ve still got other Infinity Engine games to play for the first time.

And Marathon is awesome - much richer and more fun than Doom in my opinion, although it’s not quite the same frantic run-and-gun experience. Like Doom, it’s been open-sourced and the engine’s been updated by fans to be more modern-computer friendly. Unlike Doom, the whole trilogy is now completely free, so there’s no reason whatsoever not to try it out. (Note that the Marathon game on XBL is the second.)

Thanks to the Strategy Games thread I just reinstalled Silent Storm and am loving it (once I got the patches sorted out and installed a mod or two).

I was REALLY into this game several years ago, and find myself returning to it every year or so, and I know that many other people have similar games. I wonder what it is about certain games that just scratches our itch just right. I love having new experiences, and have actually made a conscious effort to see out more of them recently, but going back to an old favorite can be really, really gratifying! I was an hour late to work today because of Silent Storm, and I’m looking forward to more of it when I get home. Yay for the classics!

Playing FFT, Front Mission 3 and Vagrant Story on the PSP so yeah, all the time.

Mount & Blade is technically pretty old (although constantly expanded) too, as is Nethack :)