Ever wondered what life is like in the Frop Bog?

I “triple frog dare you”!

For our non-American friends, that’s a play on words for “double dog dare” :)

That looks quite a lot kinkier than a regular double dog dare :)

Well, well, well. Ate dinner and looked out and saw these three at it again. Was worried the bottom one was getting drowned and/or squeezed to death and found she was putting out these:

I assume both of the top frogs are male? I feel like I’ve read somewhere that frog males just spread sperm over eggs after they’re laid. Is that true? That would both explain and not explain the threesome.

Unlike ducks or cats, these three seem to be quite cool with how it’s going. No stress apparent there. How do stressed-out frogs look like anyway?

Gah! Unexpected trypophobia!

(I know they’re eggs and not holes - still look like holes.Yes, I’ve already seen the frogs with holes in their skin give birth - gah!)

Supposedly, but I didn’t see anything that represented sperm coming out of the males so I hope these eggs are actually fertilized. We brought about 100 eggs into the house and put them in a 5 gallon aquarium with the hopes we can protect them to allow them to hatch.

Funny thing about this mating? There are males twice as big prowling the Canal Bog where these were laid. They are HUGE. But they missed their opportunity to mate to these much smaller males. Why? They’re too busy strutting around challenging anyone who comes within 3 feet of them. Look at me! Plunk plunk plunk.

I don’t know about her, but I sure was stressed out. She was OK in the above pic, but when they were squeezing her eggs out it looked awful. That’s why I didn’t get pictures or video because at first I thought it there were squeezing out her innards, not eggs.

(It is erectile. Article says so.)

Ugh.

We humans have it so good. Though perhaps we look pretty stressed out ourselves in the throes of passion…

How many children have you personally issued from your loins?

We got a cheap little 5 gallon aquarium to try and help some of the eggs survive. They’ve been in here a few days and I woke up to this - this morning.

I am so darn excited!!!

How many frogs are you aiming for in total?

I’d like to have at least 60 frogs (adult and adolescent) so I can make sure the population is self sustaining.

Do you have any problem with hungry birds? My brother had a small fish pond in his backyard and an egret would often stop by to go fishing.

Yep. In years past we’ve had a Blue Heron raid us. But we’ve had none this year thankfully.

Now I’m imagining having my own Blue Heron Bog…

I’m so excited! We found a few tadpoles wiggling for the first time today!

Watching these guys develop has been fascinating. For the past 2 days we’d see a single tadpole swim around for a sec. If we bumped the table several would dart and then stop quickly. I thought this was a sign they were getting close to being done living off their eggs sad so I put boiled spinach in last night and woke up to this! So much activity it’s wonderful! And they are eating! Doing better than I could have hoped.

Ha, did you name one of them Popeye?