Everspace 2

The crazy thing is the puzzles are so. Easy. And I hate puzzles. Hate. But here it’s get a thing and fly it into another thing.

Looter shooter aspect is not overwhelming. It’s not raining upgrades or even side grades, which I appreciate. The combat is good, although it has it’s quirks I suppose. Going back to if you like Freelancer I guess; it’s not a space sim per se and that will put some people off. I had a slight bug (I think) with an early story mission but I got it sorted and the game otherwise runs fine.

Occasional leveling of your character, and investment of resources into “companions” (they just chill out at your secret asteroid base, as near as I can tell), unlocks/levels perks that impact your ship. I’ve barely scratched the surface but this seems pretty interesting.

You have a secret asteroid base.

I like it quite a bit so far. Very different game from the first, but looking strong in its own right.

I’ve watched several videos of the game play and I don’t remember even seeing a puzzle, so this seems to be an exaggeration.

Dev’s posted about stuff at the end of last month:

That was about one of the best game updates I’ve read in terms of addressing hot issues, and explaining the limitations they work under, why they made the decisions they did, and why they are sticking to them. I found it pretty refreshing.

Is there somewhere they list all they have left to do? I mean, the game looks pretty polished as it is,I can’t see what they need 12 to 18 months for but it sounds like they have a pretty good grip on where they are right now.

Edit, never mind, I found there list of features on the Steam home page.

I love this comment from the developers about the potential for VR support:

I am reminded of a Clint Eastwood movie quote:

“A man always needs to know his limitations.”

Union: Contracts/Hinterland is scheduled to officially drop on Steam and GOG on April 28!

I’ve been watching some of the development videos and these guys are doing a great job, not just in developing the game but communicating what they are doing. Anybody using EA on Steam should take a lesson from this team on how to update and communicate with the fan base. They clearly tell what they have done, what they plan to do in the future and why they are doing what they are doing. And they have a very clear roadmap for the game. I just bought the game on Steam (10% off) just to support them even though I don’t plan on playing the game until it is completely finished.

Indeed; I also appreciate that they are OK with openly disagreeing or counter-pointing complaints about certain things. It gives me confidence that they’re not going to mess it up listening too closely to a minority of hardcore players.

For those playing it, how is it coming along?

Yeah, they have a clear vision for the game, and while open to feedback, they are not compromising on they core vision. They politely say when and why they disagree, and then move on. It’s refreshing to see in an EA game.

Haven’t played but watched a number of videos and I think it is coming along very well and the game is rated 89% and 92% on Steam. You can take it from there.

Tease of the 2nd major EA update:

Due out end of July.

This is a really beautiful space game. I just wish we could have some larger ships, like a corvette or frigate. But regardless, this is looking fantastic.

Am I right Zharkov still isn’t out unless you’re on the experimental branch? How long do these things usually take to come to the main branch? And is progress shared between branches?

Zharkov now released!

I’m looking forward to this game, but man, it’s so weird that it’s on sale right now and if I want, I can buy it and play it now, even though it’s so far from release.

I’m holding off because I know that I will probably like it, but if I play it in EA I won’t go back when it releases!