Everspace - Rogue-lite space combat meets Unreal 4

I stink at the game, but I’m looking forward to the expansion!

I need this.

off to steam

Tom’s “most surprising” list convinced me. I hadn’t realized this was out of Early Access. It’s a Play Anywhere title and 50% off right now. $15 on Windows Store. Sold!

Get the expansion as well you guys!

I really love the combat in this game, probably my favorite space combat since the tie fighter games. I just wish it had a proper storyline with missions instead of being a rogue like.

Get Galaxy of Fire 2 HD on steam. Made by the same folks, but not a roguelike.

Played and finished that on iPad, everspace the combat was even tighter.

Agreed, a real refinement of the formula, to be sure.

I bought it, but only put half an hour into it. Wasn’t really grabbing me with the controller (I couldn’t figure out how to roll for instance). Maybe I should dig out my joystick? Guess I need to put more time into it…

It’s meant to be played with a keyboard and mouse, Freelancer style.

It must be. This is so garbage on Xbox One I just got a rare achievement (along with 8% of players in this instance) for managing to finish the first 4 tutorial maps and move on to system 2. I’m assuming the other 92% of game owners just gave up before putting in the requisite 10 minutes it took to do this.

Aiming is just floaty and terrible on controller. I wonder if MS does refunds.

On PC or console?

On PC, but that’s been addressed as far as I can tell. I haven’t played a lot in VR – frankly, I’m not interested in playing games with teensy text in VR anymore – but mucking around with it after the patches, I didn’t have any further issues. Seemed stable.

-Tom

Click and push on the (left?) thumb stick to roll. (Might want to disable auto-reorient in options, then.)

I actually play it entirely with the XBox 360 controller on PC; never really had any trouble with it. Perhaps I should try with keyboard and mouse, though.

I tried this out last night on the Xbox. I really like the look and feel of it so far.

Left Trigger is forward thrusters, and it’s pretty satisfying to have to press a trigger like a racing game to accelerate and move forward. Left Bumper is reverse thrusters.

Left thumbstick is strafing up/down/left/right, Right Thumbstick is turning the ship to look in the appropriate direction.

Right Trigger is guns, Right Bumper is missiles. Again, very satisfying to press a trigger to shoot.

So on the whole, I was kind of scared after reading Brian’s posts, since I dislike Freelancer because it’s a mouse and keyboard ARPG more than it is a space sim. But Everspace, so far, in first person, using a controller, feels like a space sim, not Freelancer.

Well that’s good to hear. Didn’t mean to scare ya.

A Switch port is in the works.

I think this statement could be tagged on about every newish title around currently =) Talk about hardware that caught people with their pants down…

So Nintendo is now the go-to platform for 3rd party indie fare?

Apparently they got it running quite nicely in a few weeks. Some optimization work to do for docked mode in particular, though.

There’s going to be a flood of games I’ve been interested in but haven’t played hitting Switch this year. Going to be tough to choose, but I am already building a backlog