Everything Everywhere All At Once - Multiverse of madness with Michelle Yeoh

I think the butt plug is the R-rating. There was some office orgy going on for maybe 1-2 seconds, I don’t even remember when that happened, but it was embedded in all other crazy stuff, so I don’t think that matters much… and the butt plug is pixelated for irony

There’s also a scene where someone uses nunchucks made out of very realistic looking dildos. It’s brief, but it’s there.

ah yes, that was fun…

So there is some heavy thematic elements. There is some, ok a lot, of language.

There not a lot of graphic violence, mostly highly stylized. In fact the most graphic violence is when someones head explodes into confetti.

Even the butt plug scene uses the comedic censorship bars for effect. Its all pixelated because the director, correctly I’d say, that is more humorous and entertaining that way.

But most of the action is definitely more Crouching Tiger than The Suicide Squad.

The biggest thing is there are a lot of very heavy themes. Divorce, parental relationships, sexuality, death, taxes, estrangement, love, loss of love, broken families, etc. And it goes pretty dark at times with them.

man, taxes are the worst thing on earth. I would not want my children to expose to filthy taxes…

I mean this film is basically an instruction manual on how to commit business tax fraud badly. Completely inappropriate stuff ;)

Everyone is different and every parent as different, but as someone who was once 14/16 myself (and has kids who were also that age), I think this would be fine for both kids.

Thanks for the replies all, that’s what I hoped to hear! The girls have watched a lot already, all Marvels for example, and I think also Suicide Squad. I thought this would be similar to Marvel (and thus fine), but those R-rating mentions made me check. Glad to see this wont be a problem (not for my girls at least, of course this may be different for others!)

Also, it’s a great story about parents and daughters in particular. I have a feeling you’ll all love it.

Saw it with my wife yesterday. It’s most definitely a movie that needs to be seen in a theater due to the audience effect. I told my Chinese sister-in-law about it and she wants to see it, but since she has two young kids they’d probably have to see it at home, and I wonder if it works half as well. Particularly for that scene. I heard on the Ringer’s movie podcast that A24 didn’t send screeners or review streams out to critics because they were worried about missing the audience effect.

I’m of a mixed bag. I think there’s a decent message about all of existence being wrapped up in your own personal perspective, but it’s sort of lost amidst the bazillion things going on in this movie.

I thought that was part of the message of the film: that it’s easy to get distracted and frustrated with everything else going on, but you need to stop and focus on what’s important.

doing the taxes.

Not only that, but it’s finally a worthy sequel! The 4th Matrix movie had a lot almost going for it that the original sequels didn’t: giving me something I didn’t expect, delving into the characters’ trauma, having a sense of humor about itself, trying to find an offbeat take on the canonical action of the genre—with a low budget.

But where that movie failed to convert promise into payoff, this one had it in spades. Even knowing it was going to be Matrix-like, the whole thing felt fresh & organic; the emotional conflict was genuine, meaningful to the story, and resonated with the audience; the comedy was fucking hilarious, ironically grounding the emotional beats in that weird way Doctor Who thrives on absurdity; and the action served the story with stellar bang for the buck.

I haven’t loved a rock so much since Galaxy Quest.

And standing out alongside Michelle Yeoh at that!

EDIT: Apparently Jackie Chan passed on this movie, and thank goodness! After watching his hollow take on Pat Morita’s performance however long ago, I’m pretty sure there’s no way he could have equaled Michelle Yeoh’s presence.

Incredible. Eat your heart out, Matrix 4.

Watched this evening. My first attendance of a film at a movie theater (that wasn’t a drive-in) since the beginning of the pandemic. And I couldn’t have chosen a better one. Just phenomenal. I laughed my ass off, had my breath taken away, and ended the film with a face soaked in tears. It’s been a long time since I was so exhilarated and wrung out by a film.

Dunno when I’ll get to seeing it, but I thought all y’all would enjoy this trivia (I cannot vouch for the accuracy of his idiomatic translations).

I want those translations to be true so much. And they’re also extremely on point.

(I would also suggest making seeing it a priority. Hands down the best movie I’ve seen this year.)

We saw this on Thursday. I was skeptical it would live up to the expectations/trailer, but I have to say it was the most fun I’ve had watching a movie in a long time.

I’ve talked several coworkers into going.

They have all been glad I did.

Just because I look at this channel for most movie news, I’ve got to add my voice to the positive votes. This was one one of the few movies I’ve watched in a theater since COVID, and it was one of the most funny I’ve ever seen in my life. I don’t think I’ve ever, EVER laughed so hard at any movie, even before COVID.

Saw it for a second time, this time with the (older) kids. Still great. I was tearing up through the whole thing.