EVGA to NVidia: Drop Dead

+1. Yeah heard about the shitty things Nvidia does to partners but not from Linus (not THAT Linus) before.

1070 to 3080 is a massive upgrade. 3080s are well regarded. 40xxs are still unknown, both performance and price. Given history of GPU releases, it may be difficult to even get one.

With EVGA out of the game, competition is less, so prices probably be higher.

I would get a 3000 from EVGA and move those plans forward.

What a bummer. I was very happy that I was able to get an EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra for my new build a couple weeks ago. It’s a solid card with great cooling and a slightly sleeker profile than some of the massive units that other makers are putting out there.

This news feels a little like Nike saying that they will no longer make shoes, but they will continue to make their sportswear lines.

EVGA’s profit margins may be slim on video cards (despite the large revenue numbers), but that product segment is what their entire brand is built on. Their video cards are essentially part of their marketing budget. They are what gets folks to talk about EVGA, with their PSUs a far distant second.

Nvidia has been notoriously bad about supporting the gpu driver in the kernel in the past. We’ll see if their latest project really is a change of heart, but I know we have been working with them as part of it.

It definitely sucks, but if you think you’re going to:

1. Be in the market for a GPU upgrade some time in the future, and
  2. You’re looking for maybe some inventory liquidation style price cuts, and
  3. You’re going to hold off on 40xx at least for a bit…

It’s a great time to maybe score an EVGA card.

I think I’ll grab a spare evga 3060ti for my backup pc once prices drop a bit more, and replace the ancient evga gtx970 that is still in there.

Shit I wasn’t gonna upgrade for another year or two as my 2080Ti is doing just fine, but now I dunno.

I wasn’t either, but an EVGA 3090 ti at $1,000 was too good a deal for me to pass up.

It looks like there are also big discounts on EVGA mice and keyboards. I have no idea how good they are. I’m happy with my Logitech G kit.

Can’t blame you. Should anyone else be looking for a similar deal from a lesser manufacturer (as EVGA is now out of stock of the 3090 Ti), Zotac is currently offering the same at a couple platforms.

BFG was really great about warranties too. When my 6800 GT died, they replaced it with a 7800 GT, since that’s what they had left, which added more life to that rig as well.

The $1K 3090TIs are enticing… But rumor has it the 4080 is going to run at about 3090TI speed, and I’d expect that card to be in the under-$1K (but not by much) range. So gonna wait a little bit… It’ll be interesting to see what Nvidia says about Founders Edition cards and other partners this week during their announcement.

It’s a good question. Nvidia could choose to take back the 40% of market that EVGA had by expanding founder’s edition. Of course that’s a lot of cards to produce & that’d surely piss off the remaining vendors. But if Nvidia really wants to own the whole market in a few leaps, that’d be one way to do it.

That would be a mistake, killing the value those AIBs bring in innovative designs, software, and cooling. They handle support, too. That stuff really isn’t why Nvidia has been destroying AMD for over a decade now, but it certainly doesn’t hurt.

I think I might age out of PC gaming on the bleeding edge at this point. I have too many things in my backlog.

In contrast, PNY told me that they would not honor the lifetime warranty on my Geforce 3 card because they considered that time frame to be the “retail lifetime” of the card. Bought EVGA cards ever since, and avoided buying anything from PNY.

so 2 years basically?

If eVGA sticks around I will probably make them my go to for my other cpu components if they have the same excellent warranty.