Explain your "handle"

I keep waiting for someone to say “… but my friends call me Slappy.”

Hahaha, that’s the best one yet. Great stuff.

westy, from my last name “west”, and the ‘x’ from when i used to use pine to send email/usenet posts, occasionally using keyboards where the alt (or ctrl, i can never remember which) key is sticky.

the 2 comes from the fact that i used to use westyx on this board, and for some reason the account is stuffed. in the end it was just easier to get a new nick here.

Well, I go by Lando because my real name is Garland half of which is Land, what most people call me, and Lando which became a bit of a nickname for a nickname.

Usually online, i play under fdiskboy, a nickname given to me by my helpdesk peers for my proclivity to use the fdisk utility to solve any and all PC problems.

I also occasionally use DarknessRising, taken somewhat from the “The Dark is Rising” book series by Susan B. Cooper I read as a child.

I wasn’t going to post this, but Dave goaded me into it:

In online games I am often seen as “Misfire”. This handle has its genesis in the following old Usenet posting of mine, lovingly preserved by Google.

It pretty well describes my ineptitude in games like Quake and UT, too. :P

I used to go by “Wraith” all the time, which was suggested to me by a friend because one of the games we were playing was Wing Commander Armada, and that was one of the fighter types.

When I started playing Jumpgate, “Wraith” was taken, so I chose “Leadfinger”, which is what I went by a few times back when I raced R/C cars during junior high and high school. The common radio type used to control an R/C car looks like this, where the trigger is used to control the throttle, so instead of a lead foot, I had a lead finger. I use Leadfinger on HyperLobby for IL-2 as well.

You can find me in most games as “RearAdmiral”… a Simpsons reference that popped into my head late one night when playing CounterStrike or something because it has the triple-whammy of being a military rank (above Captain but below Vice Admiral in the Navy and Coast Guard), being some sort of super atomic wedgie (Simpsons), and sounding vaguely sexual.

For those that don’t remember the Simpsons reference:
http://www.further.com/~dknuth/Text/fun/rear.admiral.html

In MMORPGs and stuff, I usually try to come up with some sort of name that actually fits the world. As far as I’m concerned, my name in those situations is wholly unimportant to ME, but it’s all the OTHER players that will see it and use it, and I don’t want to spoil their environment by finding some clever way to say “goofball” in a medieval name. It pisses me off when other players ruin whatever little immersion there is for me by naming themselves “Sir Doarkus” or whatever, so I don’t do it.

I’ve always thought of the scene in Army of Darkness where Ash (Bruce Campbell) says “It’s a trick. Get an axe!” (see here).

Online, I’m currently playing as Meursault, from The Stranger by Camus (L’Etrange to francophiles). Before that, I was “SausageBoy”, a nick I earned by playing Quake 2 (and playing it so badly I was constantly “being ground into sausage”).

ASJunk

I’ve always remembered wumpus from the old atari 800 game M.U.L.E. published by EA.

In that game if you had some time left before your turn ends you can run around the screen with your character over the mountain looking plots of land (the ones rich in smithore). Once a while a white dot would appear in one of the caves in the mountian. If you touched it you just caught the wumpus and I think you got bonus money or something.

“Online, I’m currently playing as Meursault, from The Stranger by Camus”

killed any arabs?

My nick is real-life nickname, my real name being Karl though no-one ever calls me that.

I only use it on this one board though, and after reading through the whole anonymity debate I was quite happy with it.

Otherwise I’m most commonly known as Palmtree. It’s inspired by Olof Palme, former Swedish Prime Minister. I was looking for a new handle since my old was getting a bit boring. There was a story on Palme in the newspaper and I thought “Hey, Palme is a pretty cool name”. Since I didn’t just want to steal his name it evolved into Palmtree, keeping the Palm in context while not being political about it.

DEATH BLOSSOM!!!

like you didn’t already know it was a movie, Stroker Ace:
http://stroker.info/pub/whois/

My real name is Johnny Scorpia, and Jeff Green wouldn’t let me use it.

You know for years, I thought Desslock’s nickname was cooler than it in fact is. I know now its a reference to a classic CRPG but a few years back I used to think it was a reference to the classic (and underappreciated) early 80s Jim Starlin / Epic comic “Dreadstar” which was in my opinion one of the earliest (and best) of the “quality” titles and helped pave the way for Dark Knight, Watchment, et al. The hero Vance Dreadstar had a sidekick who was half cyborg/half sorceror named Szyzgy, and I thought his last name was Desslock.

Unfortunately a year or so back I saw a black & white reprint of the series and it turns out the correct name is Szyzgy Darklocke. So I was mistaken. Desslock turns out to be a standard issue PC game-derived name. Oh well :).

No offense to Stefan O’ course :)~

Dan

Who knew that association with Jim Starlin would become a barometer of cool?

Time to change your handle, poseur. It be spelled wrong.

http://id.mind.net/~jdarel/mule/wampus.html

I always thought Desslock was the villain from “Star Blazers”

Like so:

http://www.granniss.com/Desslar/

Stefan will have to verify but I think Wumpus might have earned himself a cigar.

That guy was actually “Desslok” (the Japanese character was Desslar).

I’m original, baby!

Been through many names which quickly got snarfed by other folks in games. I started back with Netstorm and Myth: TFL and Fireteam.

Wolfboy - I like wolves

RatBastard - Not particularly fond of my Pops and after a Prime Minister Pete Nice rap song:

“The Rat Bastard that’s what they call me,
the Rat Bastard don’t give a fuck blow me.”

Brilliant lyrics, huh?

Painbringer - Sounded cool after everyone else was using Stormbringer

Lastly, Paien - Actual Gaelic first name

I think Bub or someone above said something to the affect that eventually the names simply sound gay. My wife would look over my shoulder and constantly make fun of the last one by pronouncing it with a long “e”: “How’s Pah-een doin’?”. She calls me a nerd half the time anyway. I then have to pop her one and she shuts her pie hole until it is time for another “lesson”.

I have settled on a combination of my name: Tyler Jenkins. People think I am an idiot anyway so the fact that it rhymes with hijinks is fitting, I guess.