Explosion outside Manchester Arena

Sounds like there might be fatalities. Nothing really confirmed yet.

Was an Ariana Grande concert.

It was an Ariana Grande concert.

Doesn’t sound small. Damn.

Wapo -

It was not immediately clear how many people were killed in the incident at Manchester Arena, but Greater Manchester police said on its Twitter account that “there are a number of confirmed fatalities and others injured.”

Manchester Evening News reporting that it was an explosion near the ticket office area shortly after the Grande left the stage.

NBC saying at least 20 killed.

A terrorist bomb was my first guess (those jerks) but I’m also hearing rumors that some sort of mechanical failure – a very very loud one that also caused a bright flash – triggered a deadly stampede by the concertgoers. The bomb is more likely, but…well, in either case it’s an awful situation.

I’ve seen reports saying hospitals were receiving patients with injuries consistent with a nail bomb

“Nineteen confirmed dead and about 50 injured in incident being treated as terrorist attack at Manchester Arena”

Looks like ISIS/ ISIS-inspired:

I guess when I go to a public place now I’ll check for random hashtags from Islamic Twitter accounts.

A stampede seems like it would be scarier than an explosion. One of my irrational fears.

Knowing how my seven year old daughter loves Ariana Grande’s music, and that Ariana’s prime audience demographic is young women, I fear the death toll is going to be especially upsetting. Not that all life isn’t sacred, but young lives cut short seem especially horrible.

Damn. 19 dead and 50? more injured. This sucks.

What a shitty thing to do.

Fucking turds, the people that did this (if it was indeed an attack).

Looks like it was almost certainly an attack. The Jester twitter reports another device was found but it was detonated in a controlled explosion. Horrific.

Some asshat journalist has brought down the wrath of the internet upon himself by making a shitty joke about it already (David Leavitt, whoever that is.)

I saw a tweet saying a suspicious bundle was detonated but was found to just be clothing. Was there something different?

Nope, I didn’t see the clothing addition. Makes more sense though as it looks like this was probably a young guy on his own with a backpack bomb.

“The police carried out a controlled explosion near the arena but later said the suspicious material was harmless. Bomb squads continued to comb through downtown Manchester.”

Just shoot them. Just fucking shoot them.