Extremetech closing up shop

Loyd is responsible for my hardware fixation dating back from CGW. Good luck, Case.

Best of luck to all Jason and Loyd.

You guys are the cream of the crop in terms of tech writers, any other site or publication would be lucky to snag you. Your participation here on Qt3 has made it a better site, so I hope your job hunting leaves you time to still hang around here on occasion!

This is sad. ExtremeTech is (soon to be was) and excellent hardware site. Lloyd, I hope you and the crew find something after the shutdown.

Darn shame. One of a very few truly professional hardware sites out there.

Looks to me like all the content guys got axed, and you just need a CMS to keep producing. You should consider getting together and talking to one of the indie sites generated from the diaspora of gamespot/cgw/etc like crispygamer or giant bomb. Set up a hardware section. Call it CrispyCircuits, or Giant Tech Bomb or something. If they balk, mention free videocards.

I enjoyed the ExtremeTech reviews, and all the little touches (like the writeup on converting your house to solar). I’ll miss the site. I hope you guys let us know where you end up.

Unfortunately, I never read the website since its content was too cluttered and interrupted with ads like every other ZD site but I have great respect for the ability and reputation of its writers. It felt more like Tom’s Hardware to spread out the pageviews.

In comparison, for a site filled with ads but still what I consider content-dense, I go to Tech Report and Ars Technica.

I bought the magazine (did only one issue come out?) though.

Hmmm…

You could always sweeten the pot with “male nudity.”

I second Stussers idea, you guys are too good not to be writing for someone, and doing it as a team only makes it an even more attractive proposition for whomever that someone might be.

Best of luck in any event. I always enjoyed the content at ET, and I feel like I’ve been reading Loyd’s stuff my entire gaming life (sorry if that makes you feel old Loyd!). Here’s hoping everyone from ET lands another gig quickly and easily.

I third stusser’s idea, and hope to see you guys online (making money!!) soon! Best of luck to you and know that I’ve enjoyed Loyd and Jason for a long time now.

Good luck to all of you. I know ET was on my check everyday list of websites. It really saddens me to remove that website from “The List”

I’m gonna miss your work. You guys are talented, though, so you’ll find a new gig.

Another vote of condolences for the group.

Well Jesus pissed off Christ, this sucks to hear :{

You really don’t want to go there. Really, you don’t ;-)

It’s my personal plan to do something along those lines, but what form it will take is unknown. But first, VACATION!

I really enjoyed the site. Good luck to you all.

Very sad to hear this, you guys were my favorite tech writers since the CGW and CGS+ days. I do hope you’ll find another publishing outlet, and also that you’ll continue your fine podcast somewhere.

Maybe you’ll even find an employer who gives you the occasional piece of hardware to review… in the end I got the impression that you guys barely received review samples anymore, and had to buy your own stuff just so you had something to write and talk about. I guess that comes with working for a collapsing company, eh? So let’s look at the bright side, wherever you end up it’s got to be better than Ziff-Davis. :)

Hows your Danish and are you willing to relocate?
We just hired a head tester, but I’m sure the papers aren’t signed yet ;-)

Sorry to hear it guys. I often turned to ET when I needed some more thorough testing to back up something or just plain background information.

You should also consider learning german, those guys seem to be the only ones left with extremely hardcore test setups - print magazines with page after page with graphs, calculations and tables.