Extremetech closing up shop

This is sad news. ET was a great place for not just reading hardware performance numbers, but for getting an answer to the question what’s the real-world meaning of those numbers (what’s the performance per dollar? can girlfriends build their own PCs? is that new MP3 player extremely desirable, or is it a must have?)

Sorry to see it go, and good luck to all the talented writers on the site.

I enjoyed your podcasts and articles. Good luck guys.

Case - is there a chance your solar study will still be published? I’ve been looking forward to it all month.

As a matter of fact, I’m doing the one year solar update now, and it will run on Monday at ET. Check back then.

Major bummer. :( Good luck to you all.

I say a cool tech/hardware show on Revision3 would be pretty cool… :)

Really sorry to read about this. Best of luck to everyone. Looking forward to seeing where you guys head and you’ll be doing.

From one laid-off Ziffer to another group of exceptionally talented, soon-to-be ex-Ziffers, good luck, Loyd, Jason, and the gang. ExtremeTech is a great site, and I’m going to miss your work.

Aw, man, that sucks. ET was my favorite of all the hardware sites. Good luck to Loyd, Jason and the rest of the crew.

Damn. Good luck, guys!

Terrible news, and I hope you guys all land on your feet. It’s nearly impossible to find a hardware site that is 100% trustworthy and avoids both tedious overanalyzing and hyperbolic writing. You guys always wrote solid articles and did so with class, so here’s hoping I’ll get to read your stuff somewhere else really soon.

So sorry to hear that. You’re some of the very best hardware guys in the entire industry. You provided reliable and trusted info for as long as I can remember.

Echoing the common sentiment here. ET was my default home page for a long time.

I’m sorry to see it go but I’ll be following Loyd, Jason, Joel et al to wherever they end up writing.

Good luck to everyone. I feel a bit of remorse as ET gave me my first (and, unfortunately, last) paid writing-about-tech gig.

Good luck to Jason, Loyd, Joel and the rest in finding new work.

Thanks, y’all, for the kind words and well wishes. I’m down but not out. I’ve got a bunch of offers of freelance work already…I’ll keep you posted.

–Joel

Let me add in another voice of condolence and wishes for good luck.

I can vouch for one thing: Not only is there life after Ziff Davis, it’s actually a MUCH BETTER life.

If any of them involve podcasts, get a better setup next time! :)

Amen, brother. :)

Until they cancel that life too and then you end up with a third life that has absolutely nothing to do with the life you got from them in the first place.

LOLZ

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-ziff-davis-ceo-extremetech-wont-shut-down-after-all/

Oh, Ziff Davis, how I miss your corporate bullshit spin!

Wow. Just wow.