Fall 2019 TV shows (returning and new)

Is he a cast addition or a cameo only?

He was so fun to watch on Terriers and Gotham.

If I had to guess - reoccurring character, at least for now.

I saw the pilot of Prodigal Son tonight.

What a great show! It has Frost from the movie Frost/Nixon. I love that guy. It’s a show about a serial killer and his son. Good stuff, despite the terrible name.

Thirded. What a wonderful show.

Yeah, that’s Michael Sheen, who also was in Good Omens with David Tennant.

I’ve been enjoying EVIL. Michael Emerson makes the first couple of episodes worth watching. He’s not in episode four. That episode was one of the creepiest things I’ve seen in a long time. If you want to see if you would like this show, read about the premise, then watch episode 4.

I felt EVIL’s 3rd episode was decent, its staying on the dvr for the season. :)

The Unicorn is getting better, but I have to admit if Goggin’s wasn’t in this show I’d probably have dropped it by now.

As for shows that returned, the second season of The Rookie has been just as good as season 1. :)

I’m slightly ashamed to admit that I’m watching and enjoying Nancy Drew on the CW. Kennedy McCann is great, there are some genuinely funny humor bits, and the story has a nice little mix of creepy and mystery. It’s still a CW show, though, with all the eye-rolling relationship drama that implies. Still, the good is outweighing the cheesy for me thus far.

2020 show, guess we need a new thread soon.

Ouch, last night’s Stumptown screwed the pooch on the geography of Portland. Hoffman and his partner are staking out a perp on SE Belmont around 9th Ave (which looks nothing like that). When the perp runs, they talk about catching up with her on N Lagoon… which is on Swan Island, a peninsula (and which I drive on nearly every weekday). Only an idiot would try to escape by driving down a hill onto a peninsula unless they had a speedboat waiting. Plus it’s quite a distance away with the cops chasing you.

On the plus side, we got the cover of “Kids in America” by The Muffs (RIP the lead singer):

Tv shows do that all the time. Hell, the Glades did that with the state of Florida as a whole.

Are they even filming in Portland?

Apart from a couple of scenes in the pilot, no*. But they should at least have a research department check out Google maps sometime so they don’t throw patent nonsense into the script like that, although I realize that it’s something only a Portlander would pick up on.

*Actually I think there was a scene in one of the episodes with Donal Logue where Dex’s car is driving down what did look like a street downtown-- the parking meters were the ones we have and the foliage on the trees looked right.

Even when filmed on location, most shows get their setting wrong. Like when characters say they are going from San Francisco to Berkeley (i.e. heading East) but then they cross the Golden Gate Bridge (which goes North/South to a completely different part of the region).

Shows that get their setting correct are more the exception.

My favorite example of this is an Indian movie in which a Wall Street trader loses all this money and has 24 hours to make a payment. And he is suicidal and so is this other girl, and instead of committing suicide, they end up getting to know one another and going on a road trip. So in those 24 hours they drive to San Francisco and have a full day of activities and then they drive back to New York.

I’ve seen a few of these, and they were indeed great. It makes me want to check out the rest of the list. Succession doesn’t appeal to me from previews, but it must be a good show I guess. Same with Watchmen. I need to check them out next time I get a month of HBO.

Lots of others on the list that I need to check out the next time I get Hulu and Netflix as well, including the extended runners-up below the main list.

Finished up the last 2 episodes of The Unicorn that I had on the DVR last night, overall its a light-hearted and fun show that I feel found its footing after a bumpy start.

D’oh! Stumptown’s writers screwed up this week when they showed a main character pumping his own gas-- that’s not a thing in Oregon.

It is now in more rural parts of the state. The law changed in the last few years. Haven’t seen the show, though. Was the scene in the city?