Fallout 2?

Would you recommend using the FIXT mod for a first time player?

It apparently includes a mod that implements a rampaging mutant army that wipes out all the towns in the game, so I’d think not.

I suppose you can choose not to install the extra mods.

Of course, absolutely, don’t listen to Zylon. Installation can be customized. The rampaging army I did not use for example.
I used it this year and it was great.

Been playing this using the GOG version which is pre patched. Had to go down to 800*600 to read the text. No dodgy backyard restoration stuff, just the content as it was released.

Still a great game even by today’s standards. The writing is a bit up and down (prob due to the scope and a team of authors), but some of the questing is really interesting and engaging. Great world building, lots of variation in the places you visit, effective ambient music for each setting. I’d forgotten large parts of it since it’s been so long. It’s juvenile in places yeah, but it’s a videogame so it’s juvenile by definition. It’s better than New Vegas for mine as the main plot is a lot more engaging. It’s also huge. Lots of content and side-quests and there’s been effort put into all of it.

Seems a real waste that this style of game (a little more adult, a focus on sharper writing, focus on an interesting setting and plot, lots of ‘choose-your-own-adventure’ choices) has rarely been attempted outside of a few studios? Critically speaking ‘top ten games of all time’ is a fair statement. I mean we all know the commercial realities and difficulty in getting the required talent together, but you’d think given the stature of the game more people would’ve had a go at it in the intervening ~20 years.

Anyway for 3 bucks plus 40 hours or whatever of your time, recommended.

You have to be in the mood for a really old school game. I tried playing this several months back. You have to be ready for quests that are like: Find this person / thing and that’s all you get. They can be anywhere in the world. You need to click on everything under the sun. I have fond memories for fallout 2, however, I no longer have the patience for such a game.

Oh yeah it’s got the old school bits. UI is a shocker until you get used to it. If I got stuck with some bs like can’t find the character on a quest I’d just alt tab out and get the answer off the web. Took the edge off that clicking for hours trying to find an answer aspect of it.

But good design is timeless and the narrative and adventure part of it is as good than any you will find today.

I also really like the graphics. Good art design is timeless as well, and you can get a lot of detail into a 2d illustration that you just struggle to get in 3d which tend to have an uncanny valley thing going on. The over the top crit death animations are still cool.