Fallout 3 Modding Edition

That was one of the better points of the Fallout series. SPECIAL asked you to pick and choose. You couldn’t simply be good at everything.

Cross-Repair Weapons
Cross-Repair Armor

Oh, you could definitely mod the game to make enemies stronger and scale past level 20, but it wouldn’t be as simple as just removing the cap.

Well, that’s one way to go about it.

Personally, my favourite time in an RPG is when I’ve leveled enough to be a bad-ass in certain situation while finding others moderately challenging or downright death-defying. Usually, this is the mid-range of the level curve. In Fallout 2, it’s around level 12-17, where I might have a gauss rifle but with limited ammo and I may shoot well, but sneak, lockpick, etc still deny me access to places.

In Fallout 3, that’s around level 9-12. Any mod that lets me play at the stage longer is better than one than removes the level cap. Being an all powerful God of Death is cool and all, but it gets boring pretty fast.

Operatoin Falshpoint: Elite for the 1st gen Xbox also had a slick little editor - though sadly no way to add randomly appearing units or text for the mission objectives at the start.

ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated for Fallout 3 (lets you use texture, etc mods easily that aren’t packed in esp/esm files)
Fallout mod manager (from the maker of Oblivion Mod Manager)

Texture enhancements/changes:
Prewar and Ruined Book v1_1
PreWar Money Retex
Josef Greys Makeup Face Retexture
Better Booze - I like the Classic one myself
Echo PipBoy RETEX
Rusty Metal Armor 1-1

Companions:
Essential Companions and Caravans v14
Followers Regular Gear
Quieter Dogmeat

I’m looking at maybe a “slower leveling” mod, one of the ones that just increases the max XP to level 20.

My question is, how many XP are there total in the game? I am level 15 now and have probably seen about half the game after about 45 hours. I’d be happy to spend another 20 hours getting to level 20, and then another 20 hours after that being an Uber Death God just going around messianically fixing shit all over the Wasteland to suit my morally ambiguous tastes.

So should I go for a mod that increases level 20 XP from 20K to 40K, or from 20K to 60K, or what?

For the obsessive. The above link will keep you updated on new mod developments.

This really should have been a perk or something.

There’s only 20 levels in Fallout3? Why so low? I want 50 levels with a better curve!

They should have been perks in the original game if not available right away. Perks in modding for Fallout 3 can’t be added at the moment except via console, so some modders aren’t bothering at the moment and just put the changes in as default.

I love how those mods let you use scrap metal to repair some of your armors (metal, combat, power, recon, etc) and weapons.

I’m very interested in some of the mods in this thread. Keep 'em coming!

I’m only 5 hours into my first play-through of the game so for now I’m going very easy on the mods. I want to keep my first game experience very close to the originally released vision, if only so I’ll know how dramatically the modders have improved the game in 6 months or a year or two years’ time.

So far I’ve got two mods running on that basic little Fallout Mod Manager.

One is this MTUI interface mod. Just some subtle improvements to the interface that allow more items to be visible on scrolling lists such as the inventory, settings, or dialogue screens. It’s nice to see more and not have to scroll quite so often. The author added a green, brushed metal texture behind the dialogue which I like well enough but there is an option to keep the original black. This mod is a far cry from what it could eventually become (Dark UI’ed Darn!) but for now this removes a little bit of that console feel so it’s a keeper.

I also installed this Slower Levelling mod and chose the option that halves the amount of XP earned for most things like combat and quests.

They ran out of interesting perks.

Mods that force me to have some kind of skill specialization at cap add replayability for me.

As well as the fact that the skill system is designed such that even with a INT of 1 at level 50 everyone would have every skill maxed.

That’s why Fallout 2 had 300 points worth of investment in every skill.

I’m really interested in the way users try to mod VATS to make it feel like less of a cheat, or something. I still feel like combat in the game is a little broken (though it is a TON of fun to use drugs or Nuka Cola Quantum to get tons of AP and then go nuts on multiple enemies in VATS: Talon Company, you’re mine!)

Keep those difficulty tweaks coming!

The G.E.C.K. has been released.

Woo, I can’t wait to see what they do with the official editor. People have been doing amazing things with the FO3Edit fan utility.