Fallout 3 Modding Edition

I love this game.

Some guy made a mod called Cannibal Harvest, which lets you take pieces of dead humans with you, for later, when you’re more peckish. It adds an inventory item called Strange Meat. Awesome.

Strange Meat isn’t new. Just the creation of it is the mod.

G.E.C.K. wiki

Bethesda’s YouTube G.E.C.K. tutorial videos

I’m enjoying this little mod called “Enhanced Night Sky”, which does exactly what you would expect. It replaces the default night sky with one a little clearer and star-filled. I find it more pleasant to look at and more realistic, since there aren’t any large light sources in the wasteland to block out the stars.

p.s. and if you don’t like the specific night sky the guy used, i believe you can just install the mod like normal, then open the .dds file in paint.net and use your own image.

p.p.s. the above mod also pairs well with Subtle Sunglare FX and Hi-Res Moon

Dogmeat’s panting is driving me crazy, but it appears that the “Quieter Dogmeat” mod is incompatible with the Steam version. Anyone having problems with the Steam version?

Not so far. All the mods I’ve tried work fine.

I really, REALLY want a mod that simply disables the little open triangles on the compass that point at undiscovered location that does NOT also disable the colored bars that indicate the presence of NPCs. I can justify in my mind the perception capability alerting me to people in the area, but I really much prefer to explore and be surprised when I stumble onto a new site, or see something in the distance that I wonder about and then go over and explore and find (or not) something interesting rather than having a pointer on the compass ruining that surprise. Should be simple, but the only “no undiscovered sites on your compass” mod also turns off all indicators of NPCs (as I discovered when I had the danger sign flashing and couldn’t find the direction from which they were coming!)

Is thiswhat you’re looking for, Jeff?

I would really like to see an uncoverable, Morrowind style main map. I loved seeing how much of the world I’d actually been to. Nothing like this seems to exist, though, so far…

Actually the current version of No Undiscovered (something) Compass does what I want. The first version I tried cut out undiscovered but perceived NPCs, this version does not.

I like the idea of a map that uncovers only where you’ve been. At first, I thought, hey, since I’ll replay this and the map is the same every time, eh - but it would be nice to be able to see areas you haven’t yet traipsed.

Someone PLEASE just make a mod where pushing “I” opens inventory and “M” opens map. That shit is hardwired in now, and I keep doing it after like 50+ hours of play.

And the ability to close PipBoy with a key other than Tab.

Yeah me too. I never stopped hitting M.

Hmm. Very frustrating. I thought the No Undiscovered Locations mod was messing up my NPC markers, so I disabled it. Then I went back in the game, same location, and I still had no red or green markers for people I could actually see in the distance, much less those that I just perceived. Argh.

And it seemed to come and go between sessions.

Anyone else have this crop up? No red bars indicating the presence of hostile NPCs before you can see them?

Is something borking your perception skill?

I don’t suppose there’s a mod out yet that’s rips the ending movie(s) out of the game?

They’re just .bik files in a folder, so you can delete them or download a Bink player and watch them or do whatever you want.

That’s a good thought - I don’t see anything hitting it, I’ll specifically check.

Does installing mods screw up getting achievements at all?

Nope. Neither does cheating.

Here’s a mod to watch: Martigan’s Mutant Mod.

It’s by the guy who did the MMM monster expansion for Oblivion, and it’s pretty awesome. He makes a ton of changes to the creatures and humans in the world: Stat scaling, size scaling, size based loot, wounds lead to stats decrease, diverse skins for monsters, and new creatures.

It’s still in alpha, but looks awesome, and should provide some great variety for Wasteland encounters.