Fallout 4

I accidentally shot one of their grunts the other day (thanks to a really nice two-shot automatic rifle destroying an enemy he was behind). I almost felt guilty. Almost.

I’m infiltrating the Institute (as a Railroader) currently. You could also read that as: robbing the Institute blind while I meet everyone. My quest log is currently at 3 total quests, so I’m assuming I don’t have long until the end.

What annoyed me about the Railroad was that I seemed to be doing all the damned work. I’m assuming that’s true for every faction though. But it gets annoying listening to, “don’t tell anyone, protect our secrets and assets, etc,” when I’m all like, “get off your asses and go do shit, then we wouldn’t need to worry about being invaded.”

Tinker Tom and Deacon are cool. The rest … meh.

Yup. It’s more than a little silly, of course, especially when you look at the time spent in game. “Wait, I did all this in less than 2 weeks? What the heck have you people been doing the last couple centuries?!?”

Oh so true. The Minutemen, too. “Wait, I outfitted all of you with assault rifles and combat armor, built a slew of turrets, and you need me to babysit you still?” It was a great con of Garvey’s to get me to become “General,” because usually a General orders other people to do stuff. In the Minutemen, the General is the flunky and everyone else sits on their ass. I guess it’s like the conscript soldier’s fantasy army.

Well it looks like I’m done with Fallout 4. I got over 120 hours into my current character when I decided to go talk to Nick about finding my kid. Actually I have been stopping by Nicks every once in a while to see if the “Getting a Clue” quest would trigger, it hasn’t. I completed the required quest and did the one with the grasshopper and the one where the guy was killed during cosmetic surgery. Now I can’t access Nick’s files or get them to talk to me. I tried for the last 5 hours to get the quest to go search Kellogg’s house. I need to do this quest in order to do the main quest. After 120+ hours I don’t really feel like starting over. I suppose I could do other things, but at the moment I don’t want to play a game that I feel is broken to the point that I can’t finish it. I have tried every console command there is trying to fix this, but if anyone here has any suggestions I’m listening. One thing I did notice in all my attempts was that I got the nVidia mod to reset while trying to get the main quests reset which lead me to believe that maybe that mod may have something to do with it.

Do you have any mods installed? There are, um, quite a few mods that flat-out break quests, and the Unofficial Fallout Patch is one of the worst offenders, ironically, if you have that one installed. There are a ton of threads on Bethesda’s boards about various aspects of this quest in particular being hosed by different mods. The only issue I’ve every had though was not realizing that you actually have to sit in the specific chair at the desk in Nick’s office before he’ll start giving you the quest dialog stuff. But a lot of people report Ellie not talking to them, or Nick ignoring them, etc.

I did once have an issue in that I had dealt with Piper in a way that screwed up the sequence the game expected from me, and so I never could get her as a companion, but I’ve never, in 629 hours of play, been unable to do Getting a Clue. Weird.

Yea I had the unofficial patch installed then removed it, tried a bunch of things and still couldn’t get the quest. I looked at past saves and after the ones from today the next one is from may 2016. I just may start over. This is the only game where there are guns and an open world to do what ever you want when you want. I love Skyrim, but I like shooting and blowing up things better.

As far as I’m concerned if someone made an open world game similar to Fallout 4 only without a main story but tons of quality side quests both long and short that takes 100’s of hours to complete I’d be in gaming heaven.

Me too, pretty much. When I play now, I usually ignore the main quest for ages as well, and focus on just roaming and rampaging.

There is a way to use the console to reset/finish quests iirc.

SetStage 000229e6 100

That should set the quest to the “Get into Kellogg’s house” stage of the quest unless I looked it up wrong.

Tried all the setstage commands. Tried 00229e6 0,10,15 and so on. Even tried to reset the quest and I even tried to reset the previous quest and nothing worked. Also tried the complete quest command, got the experience,. but didn’t get the cigar for Dogmeat to sniff.

Dumb question here, but are you on survival mode? Are you running a mod that allows you to use the console that might be out of date?

If you are on the PC there are console commands available to advance each quest. I got past a stuck one using the command for a quest once. Danse would walk towards Arc Jet but stop and then never go further. Used the command and we were at the door, ready to go in. A google search ought to find you what you need.s

Edit: Oops, sorry, see you already tried that. Wish it had worked for you.

So, I’ve been at the institute for a bit and my desire to continue is at all time low. The whole point of my existence up to this point is to find my son.

And now that I’ve found him and he’s an asshole, I just want to kill everything. Or stop playing. So far stop playing is winning.

The settlements were cool at the beginning, but I really don’t see the point of them anymore … I was encouraged because we had to take the Castle, but now that we’ve taken it, the point of settlements has lost its allure.

I’ve went through quite a few companions. I want the dog back because I’m tired of listening to their whining. I can’t find dog. I thought he’d be back at the red rocket garage where I found him, but I wonder if I sent him somewhere else?

I lost dogmeat around the Fort Hagen mission. He was just waiting there near the entrance when I accidentally went back. There is a console command that you can use to teleport to the companion if you get desperate

I think this will work
https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/496881136902522442/

In my 600+ hours in that game, after the first run through I pretty much ignored the main quest until I was like level 50 or so, if not more. I just wandered the wasteland becoming a death machine. This is particularly easy with the DLC, and even more fun (after a vanilla run through or two) with some of the better modern weapon mods.

There’s also a mod you can install where you can activate a quest for a given companion, and you’ll get the quest pointer tell you where they are.

There’s also a terminal you can build at a settlement that allows you to track companions. No mod needed.

Not sure if I mentioned this way above, but seeing as I’ve been toying with this game again, here’s a heads up about an alternate start mod that I really like, Start Me Up.. The neat thing about this mod is the way it deals with the MQ, it alters lots of the lines of dialogue (800, including lip sync), excising/altering any lines that might suggest you are the parent of the lost kid.

This means you can play the game as a true open world game, have a huge adventure, starting as a schlub of your choice, enjoy the many side-quests (and I’d recommend adding the Atomic Radio series of quests, some top notch voice acting in them, made by the same crew who made Interesting NPCs for Skyrim), build numerous settlements, etc., etc., even having interacted with some of the people who you’d normally interact with in the course of the MQ, all without any jarring references to parenthood that might bump you out of your immersion.

And then when you’re up for it “investigate rumours about Vault 111”, and pick up the MQ as a quest in which you find the “parent” dead in the Vault (those damn radroaches got 'im :) ), and a lead-in to the MQ as an interested, but non-parental investigator into a kidnapping.

Very, very good mod indeed for this game.

@gurugeorge

Neat find!

Wow, start me up sounds like the mod I have been waiting for. Cool find, thanks!