Fallout 4

One of the explosives perks adds a trajectory arc overlay once you’ve armed a grenade, showing where it’ll land. It’s usually pretty accurate. I consider that perk one of the early must-haves. Until then, I’d lay off using grenades unless you enjoy endless self-dismemberments.

Has anyone had an issue with save games on Survival? I just died after a really long time (high level so it happens very rarely) and instead of loading my save from around 5 mins it loaded the one from about 20 mins ago. No biggie, I didn’t do anything major in the mean time but it’s still annoying and I don’t know if it’s a bug or a feature. The save I’m currently one was at a friendly base and the other one that got lost was out in the wild.

I ended up getting a mod to let me save wherever since I had so many strange issues. Add to that, that the game world doesn’t really support the save style very well. You can play for hours and never see a sleepable bed before getting one shotted by a feral ghoul or the like.

1000 x this. The arc is essential. Even then, throwing molotov cocktails any where near, oh, a twig or a branch or a railing or a raindrop or a wisp of angel hair or really anything makes them explode on you and burn you good.

Do you avoid beds on purpose? I can’t go more than 5 mins without stumbling over one. I do check out every structure and anything that looks like a camp though.

Those beds are grody though. Ick.

I love it that settlers will gladly bed down with a corpse under or draped across their bed. Sick, and not in a good way.

I will admit to using the console commands to delete that corpse, because it’s just … awful, lol.

I found save on exit to work only occasionally. May be a timer. This is on survival.

I was so looking forward to Fallout4, but early reviews somehow turned me off of it. The whole concept of “settlements” and how people described, coupled with the UI complaints really turned me off.

So I didn’t play it till just this past week. And now I have 40 hours logged. In a week.

I’ve got to quit overthinking other people’s reviews and what they write. Because this game is holy shit amazing.

But I had a secret advantage - my 14 year old son had already played and man without him, I’m not sure I would have made it past the first 5 hours. The whole crafting/modding was just completely missing. I didn’t even realize that on the trading screen, I could have just certain types of inventory by clicking on the inventory to cycle through until he told me. Seriously, the UI complaints are valid. The settlement complaints OTOH really don’t bother me a single bit.

What I thought would be a chore of settlements (how so many other people talked about), I’m finding it to hitting just that right balance. I really don’t need to do anything, but there is something about getting all these people in one place, farming, putting a roof over their heads and helping to protect them. Last night after waking up from nap, I was asked “help defend Starlight” and went there only to see that my ragtag group along with a few of the turrets easily turned them away with no help from me. I just need to scavenge the bodies.

I’m a wanderer - I still haven’t done the castle and only been to Diamond City twice (valentine & piper). The amount of locations and the variety is really keeping me going. Last night I hit a place on the western edge where I found not one, not two but 4 deathclaws. I had to port back to town to repair my power armor (which I had just found coincidentally enough). When I looked at online maps, no one mentions these deathclaws. It makes me wonder if they are randomly generated? I don’t care. I’m loving this.

I’m to the point where now when I hit a new location (usually the red rockets) with so many crafting stations, I’m searching & searching for a workbench so I can turn this site into a settlement. Honestly, right now that’s what I’d love to be able to do. Seeing so much scrap I’d just love to hoover up.

The companions are a bit weak. The dog, Strong and now Piper, are just really additional backpacks to carry shit. How/when they attack things still is not clear in my mind and they get in my way too often for my taste, so not sure how long until I go back to the Lone Wanderer and just keep the dog.

Anyway, just a great game. Glad I finally got off the fence.

Yeah, for all of its flaws, Fallout 4 is really an excellent game. It’s full of Bethesda jank, inconsistencies, and a poor main plot, but for just wandering around and having fun, it’s great.

I got through Far Harbor yesterday (still on Survival) and rather enjoyed it. I was surprised at the sheer size of the island and really enjoyed the perma-fog thing they have going on there. It made the night exploration great and some of the coastal towns were pretty impressive looking, especially from across the bay (whole Vim area for example). The best part however was that the game still found ways to kill me, even after I put on Recon Marine armor which put me at something like 360/360/110 (phys/energy/rad) defense. My favorite encounter was when I got ambushed by a really high legendary deathstalk scorpion literally outside my camp, 10 meters from the bed and a save point. I was coming home from a nearly hour long questing/scavenging session - wasn’t even mad that I died (damn poison is still deadly, lol), that was straight up impressive.

Now I arrived to the Nuka World and I’m looking forward to explore this place and try out some of the new weapons.

Had a similar experience here with my 17 year old son (now 19). He went off to college so now my daughter has to pick up the slack. She loves power armor and gattling lasers. She scares me a little. :)

My wife has become addicted to Fallout 4 now, which is tough, because I’ve got so many hours in it i have to be really careful not to dump spoilers on her.

But I bet you have had endless discussions on which faction she should side with? :) My daughter agonized over that. It was sort of a bonding thing.

Well, now that she’s gotten to the Institute we can discuss that I guess, though really they’re all a bunch of putzes.

Nuka World is so much fun, I’m enjoying it way more than Far Harbor. Thematically speaking it really nails what Fallout is all about, at least when it comes to Bethesda’s vision of Fallout. Probably my favorite piece of Fallout DLC, and that includes FNV.

In fact, I’m having so much fun again with the game that I’ll probably start a new playthrough when I’m done. I was looking at the Horizon to further enhance the Survival mode - anyone tried it? I’ll probably grab a few other mods as well so if you have any recommendations out with them!

Nuka-World is pretty good, yeah. I’ve tried it both ways, though I always end up killing everyone anyhow eventually.

One weirdness I found was that after I killed all the bad guys…the traders lost their shock collars but also all of their other clothes…very weird.

I’ve done it. I have actually finished a Bethesda game. For reference, I have close to 1500h played across Fallout 3, Fallout 4 and Skyrim. In the end I went with Brotherhood and proceeded to question the mettle of Bethesda’s writing team for the next few hours while I was wrapping things up. The motives and decisions of Maxson and his underlings are still a mystery to me, it was so bizarre and abrupt that I honestly couldn’t believe it. But I’m easily entertained and seeing Liberty Prime fuck shit up was pretty amazing.

Ad Victoriam!

The Brotherhood is definitely a missed opportunity IMO. They end up as comic-book…well, bad guys, sorta, but not quite. There are some cool people in the faction, and some you really want to kick off the Prydwyn without a parachute (or power armor). Their stated goals clash with their in-game goals, and their vertibird pilots are terrible (but they have an inexhaustible supply, so, yeah).

I just joined the brotherhood, and their sanctimonious goody-goody is already getting on my nerves. I keep getting “Palidin Danse does not like that” when I lift things from other people’s lockers and he really chooses the most inopportune time to decide he wants to have a talk.

Other than that, Steam tells me I’m at 76 hours played, and my quest log is brimming from so many quests that I’m a bit overwhelmed. It doesn’t help that just before getting to the brotherhood, I just got connected to goodneighbor and picked up so many quests there and I haven’t even got to the railroad yet.

Good times.