Fallout 4

I suddenly wish I had a 3D printer.

Okay, I wish I had the spare cash so I could afford a nice 3D printer, and THEN get the 3D printer, lol

Game of the Year Edition coming out soon, plus they are re-issuing the Pip-Boy Edition.

The GotY edition is what I’ve been waiting for before getting FO4. Still not sure if I’ll get it at release or if I’ll just wait for a bit of a sale. After all, I waited this long, a little longer isn’t going to matter much to anything but my wallet. But still, even if it wasn’t the best, I do enjoy the FO games. Not sold on the ‘GotY’ title, though. Did it win enough awards to qualify?

If not, I’m sure Bethesda can go to the trophy store and buy some more!

edit - please note this is poking fun at how some publishers name EVERY big game a “GOTY” at some point in its life cycle, and not making light of legitimate reviewers

It did win two big ones. It won one at BAFTA and one at what used to be called Academy of Interactive blah blah, they changed the name of that to something else, but it won in the Action Role Playing category in that one.

By that criteria, there are a badzillion games that can claim GotY. They should go back to just calling them ‘Complete Collection’ or similar, which is a more accurate descriptive of the product. Then again, I haven’t sold a game in my life, so I’m hardly one to give marketing advice.

[Edit] As an aside, I enjoy the fact Steam thinks that FO4 is similar to The Witness.

I actually don’t have an issue with a badzillion games claiming GotY worthiness based on that criteria. It only bothers me when games like Two Worlds or something like that has a GotY edition.

Hey, it was somebody’s game of the year. Pogue’s Law.

Thought I’d start a game on survival since I haven’t played with any of the DLC. I don’t think I used VATS much in my initial playthrough - is it a fun way to play?

I like the feeling of the game on Survival difficulty, but I’d forgotten how much inventory management / fiddliness FO4 has. I never know which stuff I need to hoover up so I pick up almost everything. I don’t know how much patience I’ll be able to have for this. I hope that I get access to the new DLC areas soon so I can play that sooner rather than later in case I bail. Are there level requirements for the new areas?

Also, while I like the tension of the save system, I didn’t like the 2 times I had to go back and replay some parts - but what are you gonna do.

Yes, absolutely. Somewhat overpowering later on, but VATS was always like that anyway. I would almost wager it’s a requirement for most build playthroughs.

A lot of people feel the same way about survival and game saves. There are mods that address that if it really bugs you, though.

VATS is great on survival, especially versus zombies or hollows or whatever they are called in Fallout universe, I can’t for the life of me remember right now. I played a melee blitz build and used VATS for literally every attack I made and had tons of fun doing so.

Cool, I’ll try to incorporate some VATS into my play and get some skills for it.

I’m having trouble staying motivated to play this - at least on survival. Open a door that is trapped, boom - dead. Underestimate a threat - dead. After I got past Concord the combat has been more survivable for the most part, but losing 30 minutes or more kinda stinks.

I’ve never been a big Bethesda fan in practice even though the idea of Bethesda RPGs have always seemed great to me.I have played all of the Elder Scroll games starting with Arena, but have never really stuck with them until Skyrim (and that took 3 or 4 starts). I did like both Fallout 3s. I like the worlds that they build but I always find their game play and story lacking. I tend to gravitate towards more story driven RPGs like The Witcher and Dragon Age, or something with more developed combat like Dark Souls.

I’m not sure what to do about Fallout 4. I did play through at release and finish, but that was on normal difficulty. I like the idea of survival mode, but maybe that just isn’t for me and I should drop back down to normal. That way I can save frequently and level up enough to see the content of the season pass.

I struggle with the decision of I gave it a fair shot and I should just quit, or maybe I’m just not approaching it in the best way for me.

IMO once the sense of exploration is gone, then there is no point in playing. The story is absolute shit, there is no point revisiting it. If you haven’t played Far Harbor or Nuka World, then they are still worth checking out. Nuka World in particular mix things up so you can do different things to your settlements. Far Harbor is just more of the same, but in a much smaller island.

Survival just doesn’t add too much to the base game, and perhaps it is more trouble than it is worth with its severe weight restriction. But you get a TON of legendary armour and weapon. Settlements and settlement related perks become more meaningful since you can’t do fast travel trips to move your junk and have to leave them in nearby settlements.

Maybe I will just load up my last save from my first play through and get to the new content.

Survival mode can be frustrating at times. But there are skills that help. Building up the sneak skill to a point where you no longer trigger land mines is pretty important in Survival. I also level up Aquaboy in the Endurance tree. I prefer travelling by water whenever possible in order to avoid ambushes on land. The skill also allows you to hide in water if a combat situation is too tough.

I also really like using Nerd Rage. This is the last skill in the Intelligence tree. I can’t tell you what a relief it is to have a couple of hours progress saved because a cheap shot that otherwise might have killed me triggered a slow time effect instead. The skill gives you resistance and damage bonuses during those clutch moments as well.

I ended up loading my original game on normal and traveling to Far Harbor. I may be under leveled for completing the main story because I’m only level 24. I hope that doesn’t make Far Harbor too difficult. The game also shut down while I was helping Far Harbor defend vs the creatures, so my patience is wearing thin and I can see myself just canning the game and put the season pass way back on the backlog.

@robc04 did you ever finish the Far Harbor DLC?

Hmm, I posted something somewhere about finished the Far Harbor DLC but now I don’t know where if it’s not here.

I did finish it, but I skipped much of the side quests. It ended up being one of my more liked story bits and had some of my favorite voice acting in the game (not that FO4 set the bar high). I didn’t just find it ‘Fallout 4 good’, but actually good.

I then went to Nuka Cola World and abandoned that after making it through the gauntlet and doing like 1 more quest after that.