Fallout 4

It is the first fallout in a long time that I haven’t finished the main quest. I enjoyed the game and spent 200+ hours on it. I thought the combat was cool as were some of the quest. But it’s nice to see others fell the same way. I’m not entirely sure why it didn’t grab me the whole replicant vs human stuff, while not original is pretty interesting.

So I have a new CPU and of course I love me some Fallout 4 – and I have a one gig ssd now (ok I am not bragging it was a cheap dell I bought on sale) but I STILLL have long load times? Maybe I haven’t loaded the game on the right drive?

Is it on Steam? Right Click on the game, select Properties, then select the Local Files tab. It tells you at the top which drive it’s installed on and how much room it’s taking up. If it’s on the wrong drive, then at the bottom of that tab is a Move Install Folder option.

Rock I appreciate that I am gonna go do that now.

Rock if you get a chance clarify that - I don’t see the “move install folder option” – I plan on moving Fallout 4 to drive d to see if I am crazy. And I am looking right at properties.

It’s a game with horrible load times, and there’s only so much that can be done about that. :/

You need to click the ‘Local Files’ tab at the top of the properties window. ‘Move install folder’ is the last option on that tab.

Ah I see. There is no “move files” on my local files tab. trust me I just spent 20 mind looking for it. My last option is “verify integrity of game files.”

Durn ok SSd drive – I want to kick it in the shins to make it work.

Ah, in that case, on the Steam client go to View, then Settings.

Then select Downloads from the menu on the left. Then select Steam Library folders, and add something on your SSD drive.

Once you do, now that “Move Install Folder” option should be available under local files for Fallout 4.

ahhh now that makes sense. I’ll add Icewind Dale enhanced. lemme try that.

It’s working thx Rock and JP – moving Fallout 4 to D: drive letsee.

Thanks Jack it’s moving over.

If I might make one last comment: This is my first ssd drive and it is a huge. It is hard to tell which is which drive wise and apparently its not easy to see that. That said it would not appear Fallout 4 gains as lot from an ssd drive so I can tell so far. More is the pity because those load times just crush my soul sometimes.

Maybe a simple reboot might help since you just moved the game, maybe even just restarting steam.

I don’t have it installed on an SSD, the load time when I first load a save can take a while, maybe 30 seconds or longer, but once I’m in game the loading times are usually very small (entering buildings etc)

I thought it might be all the mods I have installed that cause the long initial load because I don’t remember the game taking long to load when it was first released, but it could also be the bethesda store stuff that was added later.

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. I had it on an SSD (I have two drives - newer drives on the SSD, older ones on the non-SSD drive), and never had an issue with load times. That’s true of pretty much any game. AC:Odyssey takes a bit longer to initially load and when fast travelling, but no issues aside from that.

That is kinda how I remember it. Several recent games have very slow load times. I guess I just accept that now.

From my own experience and research, it appears load times are affected by framerate. The faster the fps, the faster the load times. However, when I solved the load times by setting vertical sync to Fast in the nVidia Control Panel, it would cause parts of the game to break (lockpicking was especially bizarre, the slightest touch would make the lock spin out). So, I used nVidia Profile Inspector to lock the framerate to 60 fps; it created a balance between the load screens and keeping everything in game working.

Unfortunately, there were still some excruciatingly long load times on my 1TB Samsung SSD; I found I could break those loads by Alt-Tabbing out and back, instantly allowing the load to complete (also reported by others). So, I just got used to it.

Bethesda game. As always, modders fix these things

Though apparently recent drivers have made it much more finicky than it was at launch 3 (!?!) years ago

Decide to try Horizon again, having a hell of a time getting components to show.

Or Food and Water to even matter, they basically don’t exist.

:/

God, I miss silent protagonists. The main character in this game is just such a fucking intolerable crybaby.