Fallout 76 - Multiplayer, online, BGS Austin

They automatically slap you in a random server when you start playing and all your progress and stuff follows you.

This is the part that kills me about this. They mentioned that there would be story and quests, but in a world without NPC’s what story and quests can you have? I think they are banking on “the story is the open ended PVP experience you have that will always be new and fresh” Something that all good survival games do. Some of the most interesting and thematic “story” I have experienced in games happened in Minecraft, DayZ, and Conan, but that was all self directed, and not hand crafted by a writer and director.

They really need to stop trying to sell Fallout 76 as another story based RPG from the makers of Fallout. This is a brand new thing they are doing, they need to embrace that, and sell that to us.

See the above video.

Story sounds like there are still robots as npcs, and environmental quests like notes, recordings, and so forth.

But I think it probably says a lot about the idea that it seems to be so confusing to everyone. I will firmly keep my expectations in check. Especially considering the fact that I didn’t really love the last one all that much after 20 hours.

This is really Bethesda’s fault as they have been saying “It has a story and RPG stuff” but then not showing any details of that off.

Ugh. In-game bounties. That’s their plan? never saw that not work before.

And you don’t even have to gain someone’s notice. You just get to be a target on the map. They don’t even have to wonder if you’re alone. They already know it.

So the fans of the FO series won’t like this. They talked a lot about coop but this sounds way more PVP to me, so they’re chasing that big PvP blob again.

Player justice. Heh. Like I said, they need to talk to @Raph Koster about this shit.

Plus Sea of Thieves definitely has the “roaming group of dominators” issue. Server hopping looking for people/raids is pretty common there.

If they use the SoT system here is what is likely to happen: group server surfs to an easy/empty server, gets nuke codes. Surfs for a server where some group has built their own massive city. Uses the nuke codes they horded from the easy server to nuke the established group. Rinse and repeat.

It’s like in WoW when people server transferred with the shit to open AQ back in the day.

Now if you’re assigned a server from the moment you log in till the end of time? Well, that has a giant possibility of sucking ass forever. Maybe you want some hot PvP action, but no one else on your server does. So you kill them a few times and they just leave and never come back. Soon it’s just you and the mobs. Same goes the other way for the guys who just wanted some co-op Fallout with a few friends.

Hmmm, concerns rising. Not really very stoked with the extra details that have come from E3, also I am getting a little peeved with the dance number Todd Howard keeps giving over the gameplay. I mean, he knows how its going to play, its coming out in a few months. Just tell us.

You must be a republican.

heheheh

Hopefully they have no fire zones. I can see someone nuking the entrance to the vault, and/or sittings outside waiting for new blood to emerge and mow them down.

Even if they did, those people would just sit at the edge of said zone and do the same thing.

I’m assuming it’s not going to be like WoW with prescribed “PvP areas” or whatever, so ganking people walking out of the Vault is going to happen. A lot. Maybe you’re safe near the Vault, but… you can’t play the game, so the difference is nearly non-existent when you’re the new guy with a 10mm pistol watching 3 guys in Power Armor roam the hills nearby with gauss rifles waiting for you to try to fight a radroach.

Oh, and one more thing. This may mark Bethesda’s clean break from Steam on PC.

The FAQ notes only their client as a PC source for the beta at least.

Hey, if we’re going to make a shitty basket, let’s make sure to get ALL of our eggs in it!!! lol. I hope I am wrong and this is awesome, as I’ve loved a lot of their games, but this is really great /popcorn stuff.

Despite my skepticism, I want to play this game. I enjoy the Fallout serie and I believe theres enjoyment to be had here. And I have always been curious about a Ark/Rust type of game. I remember playing Ark, but was too slow for my machine and did not played very far. but I think this one could have many hours of enjoyment.

Yeah, I’m in the same boat. I’ve always been curious about trying one of these kinds of games, and the Fallout hook and additional polish seems like a good way to try out this new type of game.

They did the same thing with the Quake Champions beta, but it ended up on Steam.

I’d be a bit pissy if I had to install yet another useless launcher whenever ES 6 is released.

Keeping steam out of this certainly is fascinating…I wonder if its more technical reasons than conspiracy theories…it IS an mmo game after all

As a publisher, I’d rather control all aspects of a mmo…launcher/patches/mods etc

and yeah, a survival game set in the fallout universe…I call that a win/win scenario

I may pre order this bad boy after all

Staying off Steam is just a way to keep the 30% cut they usually get. Any publisher who can make their own distribution platform will do so.

Remember, Steam doesn’t just get 30% of the initial sale - they get 30% of every DLC sale from customers who come from Steam.

There are ways around that, because Valve doesn’t force the issue like Apple.

Elder Scrolls Online is on Steam, and they certainly get their 30% cut for the box price, but all DLC is paid inside the game via “crowns” purchased from Bethesda’s website.

It makes a lot of sense to launch a highly anticipated game outside Steam to save that 30% cut to start out, then move it to Steam a couple months later to pick up the stragglers.