Fallout 76 - Multiplayer, online, BGS Austin

I want to assure you that Valve gets their cut of those sales from Zenimax. It may be less than 30% due to negotiation, but they get a cut.

I have detailed, personal knowledge about this. The currency the player uses means nothing. Every account that comes in from Steam is flagged, and Zenimax produces a report each month (or whatever frequency) and cuts a check to Valve.

No kidding! That’s really surprising.

Yeah, it’s been “the rule” for a very long time. It’s the same for Apple and iOS apps. Every customer that comes in through the iOS store accrues a cut of every sale, including in-app purchases, to Apple.

Oh no doubt, with iOS. I didn’t realize Steam exercised the same level of control.

That noclip documentary was really interesting, and it get me to turn a bit around on this game.

I get more what they are on about with this game, more of a co-op exploration game, and the “nuke stuff” part is end-game, where nuking areas creates a higher level “end-game” zone where better loot and tougher monsters appear. Less of a griefing thing, more of a progression thing.

Either way, throughout that documentary they said maybe once or twice “there will be story and quests to complete” but detailed none of it during the entire 35+ minutes. The focus here is on the multiplayer, big time.

It sounds a lot less like rust, and a lot more like a Destiny overworld game with light building and crafting mechanics and PVP. There are events with loot, etc.

This could be really neat. I just wish they wouldn’t have been so coy about the heavily multiplayer nature of the game during that conference. They seemed a little shyer there than in the documentary.

So less Rust and more The Division with some crafting and survival elements.

I’ve played a number of survival games, but what’s the key difference about The Division that makes it seem like some gang won’t hump it across some mountains just to destroy some dots camp site and everything they did for giggles?

I’m just thinking that maybe F76’s multiplayer will be limited PvP (like The Division’s vanilla mode) rather than the full-on clusterfucks of [insert survival genre game here].

But then what does anyone know at this point? I would like to see a limited PvP Fallout with reasonable survival and building systems.

If they have a way to completely opt out of PVP I might be more interested.

Yeah, well, you gotta think about all of the xX_420Vu1vAWR3kkorzN0ScOP3z_Xx out there! DON’T BE SO SELFISH

I thought they said every person in the game would be another player, and the only thing they really mentioned about PVP is some vague mention about… punishments. Other discussions veered around not rewarding killers with drops but PVP, sometimes the reward is literally just the kill. .That’s what they like.

Bleh. Does anybody want this?

Sure, survival games like Rust, Conan, etc, do quite well.

I mean the odds of me playing a game where I have to craft my own knife to kill and skin a radrabbit and then build a fire using a stick and tinder and then cook the rabbit or I starve to death can be approximated to zero, but some people like that shit.

Nope. Todd freaking Howard doesn’t seem to realize that he missed the Rust clone rush. People will buy anything with Bethesda’s name on it though, so the game will sell.

It took Bioware multiple epic fails in a row to die. Bethesda can survive this. The question is do they deserve to, and after watching Todd Howard talk about Fallout 76, i’m not sure they do.

Some people really dug the outpost building minigame in Fallout 4. Survival games are popular, people do like them. The fact that F76 isn’t a traditional Fallout game doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a crap game or that it will destroy Bethesda. It just means that I personally will not be playing it. Not every game is for me.

Fallout is a particularly tender IP to deviate on, because of the rabid NMA/RPGCodex crowd. But you know, Fallout Tactics and Fallout:BOS were a thing, and lots of people enjoyed them too. I played both of them myself. Was I satisfied, did they replace a new CRPG Fallout? Hell no. But they didn’t kill the franchise either.

The kind of PvP dynamic questing has real potential to be NOT SHIT like the normal Bethesda Fallout quests.

Just an example, if there is a 4 player party going for a nuke launch code, but all four of them got different faction requests to do different things ON TOP of getting launch code. Person A got the quest from Faction 1 asking them to get a part of the nuke code and then destroy that part code itself so the code is always incomplete and nobody can use it. Person B got the quest from Faction 2 asking the player to use whatever means (buy, steal, murder etc.) to get all parts of the code and hand it to Faction 2. And so on. So nominally players are cooperating to get launch code, but different players have different agenda as part of the role play, and there will be meaningful cooperation, negotiation and betrayal.

This kind of PvP dynamic storytelling isn’t there for PvE, because PvE cooperation, negotiation and betrayal etc. with NPCs aren’t generally meaningful, unless the NPCs are well written (don’t count on Bethesda to do that job well!). PvP dynamic storytelling is. When Falloutboy1337 betrayed you and left you for dead, it would feel “personal” rather than “oh it is just Chandler Bing, meh”.

I liked Tactics more than I should. I wouldn’t mind an updated version. Unity would work well there.

It wouldn’t surprise me if most people cooperate with one another…personally, in open world pvp, I never attack someone picking daisies…but if that bastard attacks me, I will rain death on him and hunt him down

the pvp phobics on this thread think everyone is out to kill them…sheesh

Are you new to PVP based games? Maybe the internet as a whole? PVP phobic? Give me a fucking break.

Get real. These games are full of toxic players. Do you know what happens when a dev prevents players from building a wall around a key resource in a game… they find out exactly how far out that goes and then build their big ass wall and build it there. There are tons of posts about people spawning onto public servers and being captured or jumped within seconds.

This is not made up for nothing responses. The toxic players just love this stuff, and the more they ruin the game the better.

If they do not build a game to combat that behavior, it will dominate that server; it so often does.